WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2006, 01:56 PM
Tampa, Florida

Hails from Peru
Re: Acrylics Classroom: Engraved Wall Illusion

I love how all the paintings are turning out. I just did my bubbles and have to wait 'till they dry. I have been taking pictures of my progress but since is not a digital camera I will have to wait until I am done with the film and develop it. Great class again Sam, Lidia
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2006, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member
Penticton BC

Hails from Canada

Hey Paul cool idea about the alchohol, I know theres lots of ways to do marbling, depending on what effect you want, i used to put varsal in a bin drop paint in it this created the separtation to cause all the squiggly lines and worked pretty good, I ve tried a few other ways to then there is the french method of using I think its a protein, that creates some amazing stuff.
most of which takes some prep work etc etc and sometimes issues arise depending on the paint you use (like the soap bubbles trying to paint over them) which is why I just glaze it after with clear, this usually resolves the issue., I got to try your method though and see what happens when i try to paint over it afterwards

Hi DahlisMarie thats looking great , and yes you might have to rub em down abit where the bird is, if you dont want to then try the glazes first (by then it'll be too late to get rid of them though) as long as they are not to high it's ok, plus you can put a thicker coat for the bird if you have to to hide them if it comes down to that
Love the opposite colors you got going there
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2006, 12:06 AM
Southern Highlands, New South Wales

Hails from Australia

Now, Sam, if my lines are no good I'm blaming it on the fact I am still laughing so hard at your skunks... Oh, for a video camera

"Painting is silent poetry and poetry is painting with the gift of speech" -
Simonides
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2006, 12:53 AM
Veteran Member
Penticton BC

Hails from Canada

DahlisMarie cool lining
after glazing it'll all fade and if you want to you can more later depending how you want it to look like.
and yes my skunks lmao, still can't believe I had a race with one down the driveway that night, we got about halfway down both of us looked at each other and both tore off in the opposite direction lmao, I hear they make great pets though lol but I think I'll pass on trying that .

OK glazing away, it's time to cover your beautiful works of art with coats of glazes now
ahh all that hard work just to be covered up now lol.
remember I said all we did was to only give highlights and shadows under the glazes
and again if you want some to stick more on later you can add more lines or bubbles right over top of the glazes.

OK heres my mixture

that's actually a more orangy yellow then it looks, and its watery there it looks like alot but it's not, here it is mixed together

you can tell by the streaks I left there how transparent it really is, I like to start of in extremely transparent glazes and build up slowly

here it is after about 5 coats of glazing

doesn't show much difference, I'll do about another 5 coats and build it up in certain areas then add a darker glaze for the shadow parts of the wall and a lighter glaze for the highlights of the wall, the 3d effect will save till the last.
So I'll leave this till at least Sunday as I have another heavy date tomorrow night with the same woman and I have family coming on Saturday.
So I'll keep my eye open tomorrow at work till I leave to keep things updated for any questions.
Have fun catching up and glazing

Last edited by deadsam : 08-25-2006 at 12:57 AM.
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2006, 01:41 AM
Southern Highlands, New South Wales

Hails from Australia

[quote=deadsam]
So I'll leave this till at least Sunday as I have another heavy date tomorrow night with the same woman and I have family coming on Saturday.

Wot's this?? Get your priorities right Sam . Romance and private life coming before glazing???? On second thoughts............Good on you and have a truly great weekend And a big thanks again for all you are doing for us.
P.S I am assuming the lump of white stuff is the glaze.

"Painting is silent poetry and poetry is painting with the gift of speech" -
Simonides
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2006, 10:50 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

Hi Sam, thanks for the explanation on shadows & colors. Since i'm not using the same colors i'm not so sure where this is going but i do have the bubbles drying now (white & purple). I was wondering since my lines aren't covered up very much do i still need to go over them in a lighter color as you did before the next glaze to protect the bubbles? If so, did you use the payne's gray mix you started out w/ and just add white?

With the colors i'm using do you have any suggestion as to what i should start glazing with? Are the bkground and design going to be completely different colors? Kind of wanted to have a lot of colors showing through so i'm not sure at this point where i'm going with this

The bubbles weren't completely dry when i took this pic.
kenya
Attached Images

#67   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2006, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Penticton BC

Hails from Canada

DahlisMarie lol ya I know but shes nice
she knows too how important art is in my life and understands which is a bonus
and yes the white lump is clear matte medium I use for glazing, I actually used all that up so far. which is why my walls have a waxy look to them when I'm done.
Just got back from picking up 20 frames whoohooo got to get some paintings in them now, they gave me a deal on them that I couldn't pass up.

I'll be popping in from time to at work and seeing how everyone is doing.
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2006, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Penticton BC

Hails from Canada

kenya Hi ya don't worry about the lines for now, I just do mine lighter by the time we get to the 3d stage, but if they are still dark we have to repaint them anyhow with the shadows and highlights so they will get covered anyhow in the end.
I just glaze clear medium right over top of the bubbles because if tried to paint watery paint on top you will noticed they separate when you do that, the glaze will change the colors depending how much glaze you paint over top, and what color, so it might be good to take a breath first, think of what color you want that wall to be, lets say you want purple to come through and you got red, just glaze with blue it will create a purple by glazing etc.
Some of it will come through no matter what again depending how thick the glaze is over top, if your happy with the way it is, then give very think coats so the majority of the under paint comes through instead.
Besides all this if you want the bubbles and lines to be really strong in the end you can always add more after the glazing is done, I have done that on a few paintings, it all depends what look I am after, maybe I'll do it on this one too just for example purposes to show you before you make up your mind on it.
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2006, 11:12 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

Thanks again Sam that helps a lot. Will let it all dry and glaze and follow through on the next steps. Having a great time w/this!

Have a wonderful date & weekend!!!
kenya
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2006, 12:35 PM
Tampa, Florida

Hails from Peru

Hi Sam, how many coats of glaze with the yellow color ( or any chosen color) should we do until sunday? 5 or 20 ? I want to be ready for the next step when you come back. Have a nice weekend and enjoy your date and family visit, Lidia
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2006, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Penticton BC

Hails from Canada

Lidia Hi ya
that's up to you, start off with extreme transparancies and just build it up to what you want it to look like, I just keep going until I'm happy with it then I stop. It all depends on how much of the under paint we did that you actually want to come thorugh, the more glazes you do the more it gets hidden.
Some only want a faint hint of the under paint to come through and some want more.
If you find too much is covered up then stop.
Also if there is some shadows in the overall wall itself (not the 3d effect) I would start glazing an extreme transparent glaze for that area of the wall same with highlights to the overall wall.
Galzing at this point is just basically tinting the wall until you like the way it looks
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2006, 04:58 PM
Tampa, Florida

Hails from Peru

(Also if there is some shadows in the overall wall itself (not the 3d effect) I would start glazing an extreme transparent glaze for that area of the wall same with highlights to the overall wall)

Sam, are those shadows and highlights done with the same color of the glazes or is it a different color? Will you show us how to do that or we have to do it before Sunday?Thanks, Lidia
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2006, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member
Penticton BC

Hails from Canada

Hi Lidia
you don't have to do it right away, I can show you when I get back from the weekend and upload images for you if you like.
All I do to do this though is choose a darker tone of color in the glaze and just use that right over top to create the shadows, same with the highlights you would mix a lighter shade and glaze with that.
If you want to wait, I'll do it on sunday and upload what i do when I get it done
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2006, 06:30 PM
Tampa, Florida

Hails from Peru

Sam, thanks a lot and sorry to bother you with all those questions, Lidia
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2006, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member
Penticton BC

Hails from Canada

Hey don't worry about the questions, that's why I'm here
I don't mind.
Happy glazing I'll be online for about 2 more hours at work if you have any more and it's not to busy here lol
Then I'll be on again on Sunday or Monday at the latest