WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2006, 05:52 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Auckland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand
Re: Acrylics Classroom: Engraved Wall Illusion

Right - this is fun, bubbles a go - have just reread instructions (so not my strong point as we all know) oh well will wipe clean the puddles and redo - here is the update prior lol.

PS. as the hairdryer is on the job, why not grab the hairspray too - I redid my lines with the first thing to hand - my son's marker pens and then sprayed over (yay, a new way to cheat!!!) Now only have to find a way to include some mascara and lippy
PPS. thanks Dreamz - finding black spots EVERYWHERE this morn - too fine to see before
"One of life's most fulfilling moments occurs ... when the familiar is suddenly transformed into the dazzling aura of the profoundly new.... the only difference is our perspective, ... to see patterns where only shadows appeared a moment ago" Edward B. Lindaman
-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ruthmchristie/
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2006, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Penticton BC

Hails from Canada

Ruthlooking good so far
Just think if none of these work out we can sell them all as abstracts hee hee
hopefully that marker wont bleed through later on lol.
might as well use a woman in the forground then you can use the lippy and mascara and stuff lmao.

I don't have a clue how mine turned out yet, I left it on the floor , I just did it all quick took pics uploaded them and left for work lol
I might have to redo them myself but I'll see

Something I should try for fun, but not on this project, and thats to put peroxhide on acrylic and see what happens lol

Last edited by deadsam : 08-23-2006 at 06:36 PM.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2006, 10:35 PM
henderson, texas

Hi again
Ok, I haven't got to the toothbrush yet, this is just the spongeing, does it look too dark? It seems dark to me
I had a big test yesterday so am behind. and I don't know how anyone will be able to tell 'cause I made the pic so small and the flash is all over it!!
AHHHH!
lis
Attached Images

Last edited by alizarinecrimson : 08-23-2006 at 10:37 PM.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2006, 12:36 AM
Veteran Member
Penticton BC

Hails from Canada

Hi Lis it is small but I can see enough to tell that it's fine and not to dark at all, it actually doesn't matter how dark it is at this point, this under painting we're doing is just to give random dark and highlight shade underneath the glazes, which it is why it's almost impossible to mess up at this stage because anything can be done, but from what I can tell, you got a lot of nice colors happening there in your sponging and this should come through nicely under the glazes.
this is the stage where it's all fun and just let loose and go for it
I love starting paintings that way, gets me in the mood for the more detailed stuff later on down the road
check out Ruth's creation there, shes got some great textures happening
lis if you have a paint program where you can resize it, you can do this even in paint that comes with Microsoft windows, try making the widest side 400 pixels, it'll allow you to add it to the post that way
if you don't have a program to do it you can email it to me at [email protected] and I'll enlarge it for you if you want

Last edited by deadsam : 08-24-2006 at 12:38 AM.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2006, 01:20 AM
Veteran Member
Penticton BC

Hails from Canada

well I finally went down to check on my soap contraption lol
heres how mine dried

not too bad I guess, the whiter area show up in more circle forms i guess I could arrange that better by scrubbing some of it out and leaving some but I think I'll leave it as is for now.
I could add more layers also but for this project I'll move on
check out the dark ones, you might notice when yours dries it might have some texture to it, where it almost stands out about, me personally I like this, but if your painting something over top of that afterwords and it stands out to much it'll show.
So if you know you have a foreground image going over top of a area that stands out, just add a wee bit of water and scrub gently with a paintbrush to flatten that down.
If its only the wall leave it you want, the more texture the better I say for a wall

I'll coat this again with a clear coat over the whole thing, then I'll apply marble lines and show you how I do that stage
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2006, 01:42 AM
Southern Highlands, New South Wales

Hails from Australia

I'm forever blowing bubbles Pretty bubbles on my board ........

I'm having troubles
with my bubbles

But have checked back again to the photos and will try, try again.
Ruth, yours look great. Will try to aim at that

"Painting is silent poetry and poetry is painting with the gift of speech" -
Simonides
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2006, 01:55 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Auckland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

I've taken a close up with the bubbles dry - is this OK? - (afraid focus a bit blurry )- have lots of little outline circles with red etc..

PS. Had to do some serious retail therapy as found white spots over good trousers - what was I thinking???
"One of life's most fulfilling moments occurs ... when the familiar is suddenly transformed into the dazzling aura of the profoundly new.... the only difference is our perspective, ... to see patterns where only shadows appeared a moment ago" Edward B. Lindaman
-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ruthmchristie/
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2006, 02:14 AM

Hails from Australia

Here it is, the 4th try, am I on the right track at all???????.....................

Simonides
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2006, 09:59 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

3 spungings and 2 splatters. Thanks to everyone's comments i was better prepared to do the splatters w/toothbrush lol but it did take me a min to figure out i had to use my fingernail to get the paint to splatter. . . just had my nails painted but it washed right off.

The other files were in case someone wanted to use the design but the files are pending approval.

Anyway, was wondering if this is covered enough for this stage? Going to go back to the instruction on this stage and read again.

Thanks,
kenya
Attached Images

#55   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2006, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Penticton BC

Hails from Canada

Ruth That looks great , the good thing about bubbles is if at first you don't succeed wash them and try them again lol. there pretty easy to work with.
DahlisMarie wow thats a colorful bubble you got going there, but they won't show up that bright when they dry, just watch your water on it I noticed some puddles forming, one in the bottom left corner and one in the top right corner, this can give a blob effect and I had that a few times and actually liked it and left it that way to give it some variety, so it might just turn out good if it's not too strong of a blob, otherwise you got it down
Kenya you got the right idea there maybe just add some paint thats a bit more opaque to cover up those lines a tad, but it really doesn't matter either because when it comes to the shadows and highlights to get the 3d effect we will be painting right over them anyhow.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2006, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Penticton BC

Hails from Canada

OK time to move onto the marble lines.
First and foremost, after you did your bubbles and your happy with them, give the whole thing a good coat of clear again, the reason for this is, putting water on paint with soap in it will make it go away, the second reason is if you paint over soap you'll notice if the paint is watery at all it will not stay where the soap is, it will separate. giving it a good coat of clear will stop this from happening and you'll be painting on the clear instead of the soap itself.
Once you do that and it is dry we can move onto the marble lines, these go by really quickly.
I apologize for the blurry photos but I was trying to paint with my right hand and takes pics with my left at the same time lol.

When you decide on the color you want (mine is beige) make sure it is watery, really watery.

I use a 18/0 long hair brush for this, anything close will do, but long hairs make it easier to swoosh around.

yup it's blurry but hopefully you can see enough here, I just apply wet paint with the brush, making wavy random lines first.

here you can see it's so wet it makes a puddle

then I just take brush and start randomly moving the paint around in streaks to give it a marble line random effect, some parts I leave more paint some thinner so it automatically fades in and out in various places.

Here is my final marble lines

You can tell I just randomly placed them all over the place and the under paint comes through still even with the lines because the paint is so thin.

After these are done and dry I give it another coat of clear, mainly because the lines are so watery they can wash off easy and plus if there is anymore soap exposed, this will make sure it gets covered in clear so the glazing will stick and won't separate on me in the next phase.

Well thats it as far as a under paint goes. alot of different things to play with getting to this stage, but it's the fun part

Next I'll go into glazing, but let you catch up.

PS: you can do various colors of marbles also, over top of each other or wet on wet, you will notice in marble it can have all sorts of colors in it's lines, me for the sake of the project, I just added one color here, but feel free to experiment.
Plus some of these we can also repeat after the glazing also to make them stronger.

Last edited by deadsam : 08-24-2006 at 10:54 AM.
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2006, 11:07 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

Thanks Sam, i didn't have all the same colors and went w/ cad yel, ult blue, quin magenta, paynes gray (only opaque splatter). I have diox purple and phal blue to use but didn't, yet? Have little exp w/how the different colors work together. What colors will you be using to paint over the design for the highlights and shadows? Are you going for the same colors as the first one you did?

kenya
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2006, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Penticton BC

Hails from Canada

Hey Kenya I'm still debating what color I'm going to put over as a glaze, I was going to do it as the last one but I want something to compliment the greys and blues of the bluejay, so maybe a beigish orange lighter then the wall on the bluejay pic. you all can choose whatever color you like.
I'll start the glazing tonight when I get home and upload it and give the percentage I use of clear and paint, then I'll let you all do it over the weekend till you get it the way you like, I start off with glazing a medium color for the whole thing, then I add the shadow colors and glaze them, then work on the highlight colors and fade them last, before I do the shadows and highlights for the engraved part, if I have a different colot tone in the wall anywhere (where the butterfly is) this is when I do it, then I use paynes grey transparent for the engraved wall shadows and transparent white or close to white for the highlights of the engraved wall, after this if I want anymore marble lines or soap bubbles I do it at this point then glaze over top to blend it in with the wall, then add the cracks then it's done.
So abit to go yet but not much further
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2006, 01:09 PM
Enthusiast
Washington, DC USA

Hails from United States

Hi Sam,
Great class and some wonderful abstracts showing up by the participants! I really want to do this one but I am kind of stuck not painting for now due to some "stuff" that came up. But I will get back to the painting soon and this class will be on the high end of the list of things to do, pretty darn near the top in fact. Meanwhile I am at least checking in and enjoying the progress you all are making!

I wanted to mention one thing I have tried that makes some interesting effects also. That is soaking crystals in alcohol and then dripping bits of runny paint over them. The alcohol repels the acrylic paint and leaves little irregular shaped color patterns when dry. You can probably use any kind of chunky little bits that will absorb alcohol to do this effect. It's generally a much harder edged looking thing with crystals than the soap bubbles though so may not work out well for this project. Just thought I would throw it out as another idea. Carry on bubble heads!
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2006, 01:09 PM

Hails from Australia

It's 3a.m here. Got up at 2.30 to check on the dried look. Couldn't wait till dawn!
I have to say that I am pleased! It is still a bit bright though. But I just love some of the effects. Will post the full shot and a close up of a bit of the raised bits
Some of these jazzy little bits are going to be where the bird will go but I really hate to wash them off??? Will they show up too much under the b ird?

Simonides