WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2006, 06:32 PM
Tampa, Florida

Hails from Peru
Re: Acrylics Classroom: Engraved Wall Illusion

Thanks Sam. Lidia
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2006, 08:11 PM
Southern Highlands, New South Wales

Hails from Australia

Hi Sam, is this the way it should look now............toothbrush splattering is fun, though I won't do it on the dining room table again.............

"Painting is silent poetry and poetry is painting with the gift of speech" -
Simonides
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2006, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member
Penticton BC

Hails from Canada

lmaoooo too funny I'm still at work you just made me laugh out loud here, and yes thats how it should look and No I wouldn't recommend doing it on the dinning room table lol I hope you got all the paint out lol.
well I got a good laugh out of that one, it looks great
I'll be on tonight soon as I come home and go through all the posts and answer any questions in more detail, I just peeked in and seen this and had to respond lol. Thank you for that
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2006, 08:45 PM
Southern Highlands, New South Wales

Hails from Australia

No, a BIG thank you for sharing this process. It is so much fun.
If you ever come to the Highlands I will bake you a cake and buy you a beer

"Painting is silent poetry and poetry is painting with the gift of speech" -
Simonides
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2006, 11:26 PM
Veteran Member
Penticton BC

Hails from Canada

Kenyacool design
I'm home now finally, so I can answer yours now as it was to much to answer at work for me.
love the design by the way, it's up to you if you want it off centered or not, just think of the butterfly your gona have at the end and plan it around that, it cool look cool either way you decide to do it
usually to add the sketches into the forum itself without getting it attached I resize it to 400 pixels max on the widest side, I never have an issue that way.
and the detail on the middle butterfly should be fine, you can add as much detail as you wish as long as you figure out which parts will be standing out of the wall and which ones will be engraved into the wall, then it really don't matter how much detail is involved. I think it'll look great the way it is

DahlisMarie cake and beer whoohoo in the highlands at that .
and yes it's fun playing like a kid with paint which is why this part is my favorite part, no restrictions or planning just let er rip lmao.

I'll give this one more day to let everyone get caught up abit then I'll move onto re outlining my design as its beginning to become lost, then I'll do the soap bubbles, they need to dry overnight through time (sorry but no hair dryers allowed with soap bubbles because they make the bubbles go away) which should give everyone a break
then we'll move onto marble lines then let the glazing begin, layers and layers and layers of them lol

Last edited by deadsam : 08-22-2006 at 11:29 PM.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2006, 11:34 PM
A Local Legend
I currently live in Jacksonville Florida

Hails from United States

Im still finding things with little spots of paint from the first time I tried splattering...

so far Im just following this in spirit but who knows where tomorrows muse may lead...
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2006, 11:39 PM
Veteran Member
Penticton BC

Hails from Canada

lmao hi dreamz
I've learnty my lesson when splattering too many times, i wreck to many pants and shirts and carpets etc etc, cause you never can find all those dots lol.
Feel free to join in anytime you want to

I guess I should of said in the supplies to add newspapers or something to the list lol
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2006, 03:05 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Auckland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Hi Sam. all sponged and splatttered over here, Ruth
"One of life's most fulfilling moments occurs ... when the familiar is suddenly transformed into the dazzling aura of the profoundly new.... the only difference is our perspective, ... to see patterns where only shadows appeared a moment ago" Edward B. Lindaman
-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ruthmchristie/
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2006, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Penticton BC

Hails from Canada

Ruth cool I can't wait to see yours when it's done
for those who have the sponge and splattering done, give the whole thing a quick coat of clear medium or whatever glazing you use to glaze your acrylics with, make sure it's not too strong and has no color in it at all, this is just a protective coat before adding the soap bubbles because the soap can lift previous colors sometimes when washing some of it out.
Let it dry really good.
I'll do the soap this morning and add the photos tonight for everyone.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2006, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Penticton BC

Hails from Canada

OK it's soap bubbles time
for all you who are getting antsy waiting staring at the mud you created thus far lol.
I'll break this into two sections since there is 9 photos to describe every step.
The first is the preparation part.
I took a picture of the sink in my bathroom to show you what were after (or something similar)

these lines is what were after, depending on the colors you choose, you can make them solid like these or mix colors together and let them bleed like I do.

next I redid my outlines quickly as they were getting lost and gave the whole thing a coat of clear to protect the paint underneath from the soap.

Next I got a pill jar and added a touch of soap and a wee bit of water (you don't need much of either.

before shaking the crap out it to create the bubbles, I got my paint ready first, in this case I just started grabbing at anything lol
I used a light tan I had for a previous painting, some burnt umber and aliz crimson, don't make this too watery or it'll become a blob when it all dries, the point is to keep less water as possible.

Next I shook the crap out of the soap to make my bubbles.

Next I put a plastic paint tray on the floor (it needs to be on a flat surface so the bubbles and paint don't run)
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2006, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Penticton BC

Hails from Canada

OK were ready to have fun with the paint mixed and the bubbles ready.

I found the best method to apply the bubbles is with your finger. just spread them out randomly and make sure the pile is high enough as they do start to disappear.

next I started with the light tan, DO NOT PUSH THE PAINT DOWN INTO THE BUBBLES lol just touch the top of the bubbles with the paint only, don't worry the paint will flow down the bubbles onto the surface.
If you see a puddle starting to form on the surface, then your bubbles or paint or both are too watery, don't worry you can just wipe it off and start over again. (this is why we give it a clear coat first to protect the under paint)

Next I touch the bubbles with burnt umber (it really doesn't matter what order this goes in or if you just want one solid color)

Next the aliz crimson (don't ask why I added this color, I just woke up and don't know why lol)

As you can see the colors are already started to bleed together

You can also do a light solid bubbles, wait till it dries then do a dark solid bubbles over top of the light or add as many layers as you so desire, just make sure the previous layer is dried first.
Also DO NOT USE A HAIR DRYER lol
all your bubbles will go away and you'll be left with a blob, be patient and let them dry on there own time.
if you don't like the way it turned out, don't worry just wet it get some paper towel and wipe, it comes off fairly easy even after it's dried because of the soap in the paint. If you only like to keep some parts of it and get rid of some, just wet the parts you don't want and scrub with a brush lightly and pat it dry.
After your satisfied with your soap bubble creation, and it is fully dried, give the whole thing another coat of clear to protect that layer from and wetness going on top of it.

and voilà the soap bubbles are done.
I have to let mine sit till I get home tonight lol.
I'll take a pic of my finished product later tonight and upload it.

Have fun with your bubbles
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2006, 01:04 PM
A WC! Legend
Tampa, Florida

Hails from United States

Sure beats stippling all those dang circles - lmao....

Robert

www.visioneerwindows.blogspot.com
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2006, 01:48 PM
Tampa, Florida

Hails from Peru

Sam, this might be a silly question but with what do you apply the paint over the bubbles? with a brush?Thanks, great class and having lots of fun, Lidia
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2006, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member
Penticton BC

Hails from Canada

Robert Exackly Robert, the less work the better lol

Lidia Yup just pick up some paint on your brush and just lightly dab the bubbles so the paint goes on it, it'll flow down the bubbles to the surface

If you get a puddle you know you used to much water , if you notice it doesn't make it down to the surface then you didn't add enough but thats extremely rare it doesn't take much paint to make this work.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2006, 02:38 PM
Tampa, Florida

Hails from Peru

Sam , thanks a lot,Lidia