WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2006, 02:54 AM
Southern Highlands, New South Wales

Hails from Australia
Re: Acrylics Classroom: Engraved Wall Illusion

Hurray! I know this, I know this Lis.
Just hover your mouse over the picture, up towards the left hand corner of the photo of the outlining and a tiny window will come up giving you the options of saving, printing etc.
I'm feeling like you I think on this, excited about trying it but a bit nervous!
DahlisMarie

"Painting is silent poetry and poetry is painting with the gift of speech" -
Simonides
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2006, 02:58 AM
Veteran Member
Canberra, Australia

Hails from Australia

Just had a quick read through - Fantastic! Been delayed with a cranky computer but can't wait to get started here soon.

"Don't paint it - create it"
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2006, 08:13 AM
A Local Legend
NE Oklahoma

Hails from United States

I am in too although I may be a bit late with a painting. You have done a terrific job of explaining Sam and thanks for doing this! I've rated the thread too.

Ann
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2006, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
Penticton BC

Hails from Canada

Hello All and thank you for joining
Just a quick note as I am at work right now, I'll upload the next stage and answer all your questions tonight for you tonight
I'll be uploading and explaining the sponge part tonight and any questions I see in the threads so far.
See you all tonight.
after the sponging, because it goes by quick I'll add the splattering then show you how I do my marble lines, but I'll wait till everyone catches up at that point.
Talk to you all tonight
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2006, 06:27 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by alizarinecrimson
Sam,
Hi, sorry, I'm so new to the website. How do I upload the image of your outline? And no I definitely don't want to use my own at this point. I can't wait to get started

Thanks
lis

Hi Lis - apart from the little icons in the top L. corner, when wanting to download an image, you can also place the mouse on the image, right click, and from the menu choose 'Save picture as....'

Hi Sam - I'm back from the travels and hoping to catch up soon!
Looks great and am hoping to find the time to participate this week

What's this about a new ladylove then?

I've also used some super glue to 'stick' the thread so we can all find it easily

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2006, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Penticton BC

Hails from Canada

lmao im still at work here lol
but just peeked in, were only at the outline so far Maureen im going to do the sponging tonight, we'll I have mine done, but I'll upload it.
the new ladylove yes she is
very lovely lady, I'm happy but I won't deter me from this lol.
Glad your back and hope you had a great time off
I'll be peeking in at work here from time to time but not really long enough to go through everything so I'll do it all tonight
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2006, 11:41 PM
Veteran Member
Penticton BC

Hails from Canada

Hello All
I'm home now
OK lets get to it
AudreyWelcome and yes there will be some under painting but not quite like the norm lol, we'll be moving into that in a minute at the sponging stage.
StephanHey Stephan welcome,and I'm sure you'll do good and won't be wrecking any canvas, the beauty of this method is it's so loose it's pretty hard to mess it up. Loss of canvas is non refundable unfortunately lol.
DahlisMarie cool your outline is done already, feel free to upload if you so wish, it really doesn't matter if the lines are all wonky, I didn't even measure mine out, I just quickly sketched it out and started painting, I'm actually getting in the habit now of just painting with no sketching at all, but thats not always the best way to do it. Those lines as you will see get covered up alot and are only used as references later one to go by for the light and shadows.
Ruth whoa lol nothing like going for broke lol, I got to see this once it's done
lisWelcome to the forum it's good to have you. and you can use mine if you like I'll be doing it step by step so feel free to join along and you upload as Maureen said , I just click on the little yellow square box and browse to find it then click upload and wait till the image show then click on it and voilà its added
DorothyWelcome Dorthy we'll getting into the nitty gritty lets play in the mud part next
AnnHowdy Ann and welcome and don't worry if your late it'll all be here when your ready
MaureenHowdyyyyy Maureen and thanks for sticking this to make it easier and for all your help

Last edited by deadsam : 08-22-2006 at 12:36 AM.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2006, 12:01 AM
Veteran Member
Penticton BC

Hails from Canada

clap your hands in the air like you just don't care
hee hee
OK its time to play in the mud and have some fun which is why I love doing this stuff.
sponging time.
OK it really doesn't matter at this point what you do or your color combinations either, if you want to get technical as an under painting then you can work in opposites or tinting or just about any Ole thing you want when it comes to the under painting in sponging here, the main thing is to create light and dark shadows that will eventually show up under the final glazes, the only thing here is if you want to have certain colors pop out under the under paint then just be careful of the colors you choose.
example(if you want green tints to pop through a yellowish over glaze then the sponging should be work in various blues).
As for me I just went plain hog while and went nuts and added so many colors it almost came out like mud in the end lol, which is cool too
any extra colors can be added in the splattering which we'll do after.
so grab your sponges (I use only natural sponges for the randomness it gives)
I wet my paint down alot, so its extremely watery and dip the sponge in and start sponging away.
I'll give you the breakdown of the colors I use but feel free to use your own.
1st sponge: yellow orchre

you can see this was done with pretty wet paint.
2nd sponge: aliz crimson, cerulean blue and bright purple (in that order)

Now you can see why the need for dark lines lol
yup it's a mess (the ugly phase) but it's soooooo much fun doing this.
3rd sponging raw sienna, light green (left over from a previous painting) yellow green (I just added lemon yellow into the green I had) in that order

hee hee yup mud and thats the whole point. you can make it bright and vibrant or muddy as you want to. just have fun at this point with it loosen up and let your sponge decide it's own path.
close up:

and this is why we make strong dark lines lol
As you can see they're already disappearing on me and this is only the sponge stage.
So make sure your lines are dark and strong because in the end they will barely be noticeable and only for loose references, you'll probably more be doing these by memory then anything else, if they do disappear way to much for you, just paint them again if you need to keep them there.

So I will leave it at this point for a day and let everyone have fun then we'll move onto to splattering (yes get your toothbrushes ready lol) and then we'll apply colors we want to stand out more with the toot brush.

Remember the sponging is mainly for random under highlights and shadows
the toothbrush splattering will be for grainy effects and also to apply colors we want to come through more.

OK everyone go and have fun and don't worry about the mess or about making it perfect because with sponging there is no such thing as perfect

Last edited by deadsam : 08-22-2006 at 12:09 AM.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2006, 12:07 AM
henderson, texas

Thanks everyone, heh, heh, i thought it would be more complicated.
OK! On with the show

lis
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2006, 12:21 AM
Veteran Member
Penticton BC

Hails from Canada

hi ya lis, I was just going to add a note on this myself
I love incorporating various techniques and styles into one painting, that way I don't bored alot because so many different things go into it.
first and formost I love having fun while painting, I shove on the headphones crank up the music and go nuts during these early stages and just have a blast, the detail stuff is saved to the very end usually.
Some techniques used are:
cartooning the outline (doesn't have to be too detailed)
sponging whoohoo make a mess it don't matter lol
splattering with a toothbrush, again just have fun and spray wherever you want to.
marbling lines (I'll show you that it can be done in minutes if not in seconds) and have fun doing it
then glazing in transparencies where it is so hard not to get it right that you really won't have to worry about it.
and more
Just remember to have fun with it
oh ya and the soap bubbles lol we can't forget those lol
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2006, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Penticton BC

Hails from Canada

Good Morning everyone
Well I got up with some energy this morning and decided to do the splattering, so I'll upload it now for those who have gone ahead with the sponging.
The sponging and splattering go by quickly since it's all random and there isn't really anyway shape or form you can mess up
OK the splattering is mainly for grainy effects, those little holes of dark and highlights you see in walls.
This first phase is for the under paint, we will be doing it again after the glazing is done to give more contrast to the little grains.
You can also use colors you want to come through with the toothbrush also as they give a halftone effect and make them fade from dark to lighter shades of the same color, (when I was painting in egg tempera and since it is so hard to blend and glaze with that medium I did alot of it with a toothbrush instead.
the first is just an image of me doing it.

and yes my desk is messy lol, I usually wipe it down before I start the details.

next I sprayed straight raw umber (make sure it's wet enough to spray) but not so wet it only creates blobs, which is why I use a tiny toothbrush, what I do is dip the toothbrush in a puddle of paint the pat it on a clean space to get some of the paint of.

next I use straight Paynes Grey (with lots of water of course) to give some dark holes and grain

next burnt sienna with alot of white

then an almost white beige (just added a touch of the previous mix into white)

Next is a close up after it's all done

This took me a whole 5 minutes (with a hair dryer in between colors)
the bigger the area the longer it takes, you can see now the lines are really starting to disappear on me and I will have to redo them but this time in a lighter shade as this time the lines will come through in the glaze, I will upload the lines redrawn once I do them.

You can have fun splattering with a toothbrush but make sure you don't overdo it and cover up too much of the sponge, if you do by mistake, it's no big deal just add more sponging then redo the splattering again until you get it the way you like.
you can also add any color you want as it will be glazed over (remember to think of the final color of the wall you want it to be then figure out what colors you want the under paint to be and work in colors that will create it
Example( yellowish/orange wall) but you want the splattering to come through as greens, then the splattering should be blues, this will cause it to look greenish with some brownish green in the end).

Since this only took 5 minutes I decided to upload it right away, because the sponging and splattering go by really quick.

Next we'll do the soap bubbles, then move onto the marble lines, then the glazing begins

After it's glazed if you want the some more stronger holes then we will splatter again, and maybe some more marble lines and soap bubbles after the glazing also, depending how strong you want it to come through.

Have fun everyone and you can start uploading your progress
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2006, 12:42 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

Hi Sam & Class Mates

Sorry i'm late to class. Relatives moved in over last weekend so we've been busy. Did get to go shopping for supplies yesterday and that's always fun! Bought larger wc paper 12 x 18, 140 lb. cold press Strathmore tablet.

Needed a template to go by so i made 3 phases in paintshop. I borrowed the hand painted butterfly from your example & used a stencil clip art butterfly to go in the middle but it might have too much detail? Wanted to do the full circle & whole butterfly. I want to follow through until the bird stage and then i want to add a butterfly on a branch (at least that is the plan for now)

I added the 3 stages in .jpg format (size w1008 x h1008 pixels) to the reference lib as Butterfly Template if anyone is interested in using any of them. They are large enough to print on 8 1/2x11 pg. but set printing so it will fit inside the page otherwise the outer circle might be cut off.

templt_3.jpg : 2 circles
templt_4.jpg : circles 4/bfly
templt_5.jpg : circles 5/bly

I don't know if you copy the image posted here if it will print the same or not because it is 500x500.

As soon as i decide where to put the image on the 12x18 i will get started tracing it and then painting as well as get caught up. As far as composition goes i'm wondering what would be best, centering the image or offset to the left if i go with landscape layout?

Wanted to let you know! Really appreciate the class Sam, i was so looking forward to learning how to do this.

Thanks,
Kenya
Attached Images

#28   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2006, 01:21 PM
Tampa, Florida

Hails from Peru

Hi, I am joining the class too, I just draw the wall and butterflies and will start with the fun part, sponging, will try to post my progress, but definetely doing this project. Thanks Sam for the class, Lidia
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2006, 01:55 PM
Tampa, Florida

Hails from Peru

Sam, in the 2nd sponge, do you let it dry between the colors crimson ,cerulean blue and purple? or just sponge after the other eventhought the colors are still wet? thanks, Lidia
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2006, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Penticton BC

Hails from Canada

Im at work but I'll quickly answer you on the sponge, I use a hair dryer inbetween sponging unless I want it to bleed then wet on wet.