WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2006, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Penticton BC

Hails from Canada
Lightbulb Acrylics Classroom: Engraved Wall Illusion

Hello Everyone and Welcome to:

Acrylics Classroom: Engraved Wall Illusion
Learning How To Do The Bevel
I might not be on tomorrow when this is supposed to be posted so I decided to put it today, I am just going to show you what effect were after and then the supplies I use to to get this effect ahead of tomorrow so you can all be ready for tomorrows class.
Iím not quite sure what got me started on doing these beveled engraved walls, but I find them a lot of fun to do.
Thank you all who decided to join this class.
I do train at work at times, but do not consider myself a teacher (and have never taught art at all)
So please be patient, and if I do not explain something clear enough that you need more explanations feel free to ask away.
Stages for the Class (the overall rundown)
"It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a
child."
-Pablo Picasso
Iím not a fan of Picasso so much but I love that saying.
On that note lets begin with the explanation and stages I use.
The first stage is to get the under paint down. I do this in stages.
1: draw the outline in paint with very dark paint (the stages I do cover a lot of it and they can disappear)
2: Sponging the background.
This part is where you can become a child and just have fun and get all messy.
I choose dark colors to sponge the background because later on I lighten them up with clear tinted glazes later on. (The only problem is sponging goes by so quick the real fun part doesnít last as long.
3: After sponging and having fun with that, we can have fun with splattering with a toothbrush.
This part too you can become a child and have some fun (although it can make your wrist sore doing it to much lol)
4: Tinting the different colors with a glaze
If it is 2 tone or however many tones you have in this, this is the time to glaze the different colors.
5: From here on in we can jump through all the technique depending on what you want.
Usually I do another splatter with the toothbrush at this point.
I sometimes use soap bubbles at this point also.
At this point I also add some marble looking lines
Then started glazing over highlights and shadows now.
6: If the glazing covers to much I go back and splatter some more and soap bubbles and more marble
lines.
Then another coat of glaze.
7: Next itís time to create the 3d bevel look
Glazing highlights and shadows to create that bevel appearance.
8: I keep building this glazing up until I get the way I like it, if the marble lines fade away too much I add more then always glaze over top.
9: Once Iím happy with this and it looks 3d and beveled, then I add cracks in the wall with itís shadows and highlights.
10: if it seems way to smooth, I add abit more splatter with the toothbrush again at this point.
And voila itís done.

I made a image in Photoshop to give an idea what kind of effect were after here (well hopefully all ours will be better) but it shows the light and shadows needed to create a bevel look (which gives it a 3d look)

In this quick example, you can see the direction of the light travels from the top right corner to the bottom left corner.
Anything that sticks out of the wall is highlighted on the top and right side and the shadow is on the left and bottom sides.
The opposite holds true if it is engraved into the wall instead, the bottom and left sides get the highlight and the top and right sides get the shadows.
If we can get these two down, we will have no issues creating and 3d engraved wall illusion.
If your making your own design up, the main thing you have to remember is ďWhere is the light direction is coming from? That will determine your highlights and shadows in the bevel.

Ok that was a quick walkthrough how itís done. Next its time to get down and dirty and have some fun.
Iíll add a photo of the tools I use first.

the supplies are: sponge, dish soap, clear medium, retarder (for keeping it wet longer) two different size toothbrushes (although I use the small one 99% of the time) various brushes, one long skinny one for matrble lines, the rest are basically for glazing and details.

Next will be the outline I decided to use for mine (feel free to use it or make up one on your own).
I wrecked my brain out all week trying to come up with an idea that would fit this class, and finally decided to keep it as simple as possible. So I am doing the butterfly just to show you, it's up to you to decide what you want to do, if you want to use this one your welcome to or make up your own, just remember for light and shadow if you are using a ref pic for something in the foreground, the direction of light has to be the exact same for the engraved wall also.
Here is the outline to get you all started.

This will be on arches 140lbs
As you can see I start of with a very simple cartoon sketch just outlining the design I'm after, and yes it is very dark, as you'll see soon it all depends on how many layers of paint is going over top of it, the last painting I did I had to redo the lines 3 times because so much went over top that I lost them, so this time I painted them with a 50/50 mixture of paynes grey and burnt umber.
So just in case I'm not here torrow you have a start
I already have the images for the sponging taken but I'll wait to see if there is any question so far or if anyone wants to upload their outlines first.
Then we'll all do the sponging

Last edited by deadsam : 08-19-2006 at 03:46 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2006, 09:15 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Auckland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand
Re: Acrylics Classroom: Engraved Wall Illusion

Sam, I haven't paid attention (what! looking out the window wondering about sailing weather already???) but are we meant to be doing this on archers paper or will canvas board be ok? Ruth
"One of life's most fulfilling moments occurs ... when the familiar is suddenly transformed into the dazzling aura of the profoundly new.... the only difference is our perspective, ... to see patterns where only shadows appeared a moment ago" Edward B. Lindaman
-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ruthmchristie/
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2006, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Penticton BC

Hails from Canada

Hello Ruth and welcome
Im just doing mine on arches, but you can do yours on any material you like
I just added that in case anyone was wondering what I used.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2006, 10:00 PM
A Local Legend
UK

Hails from England

Ooooh, I'm subscribing so it reminds me to pop in ...Great start Sam, informative and easy to read - Well done!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2006, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
Penticton BC

Hails from Canada

I thought I would add what I am intending to use for my foreground image after the butterflies and the engraved wall is finished, I went hunting in the photo library and found this cute little baby blue jay.
You don't have to paint this after the engraved wall is done, but this is what I'm going to use, I just added it in case anyone else wanted to follow along with the idea I came up with.

Heres the image

So for my highlights and shadows, they are pointed on a top right corner (more on top) pointing to the bottom left.
This will dictate the light source direction for my engraved wall.

the link for a bigger image of this cute little fellow

http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/show...12&limit =all

I am going to have him or her staring at a butterfly coming to life out of the engraved wall in the end.

This is just a heads up to what will be added after painting the engraved wall.

Once again you do not have to do this idea but you can make one up on your own or use the same one I am.
It is totally up to you.
I downloaded the spell check program they use for this forum so hopefully I will not make anymore spelling errors lol

Last edited by deadsam : 08-19-2006 at 10:07 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2006, 05:38 AM
Southern Highlands, New South Wales

Hails from Australia

This really looks exciting!!!
I shall try my best to follow you. Love the design you have chosen
DahlisMarie

"Painting is silent poetry and poetry is painting with the gift of speech" -
Simonides
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2006, 06:15 AM
Auckland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Sam, I love your little bird but have come up with an idea I want to try out. I am working hard on creating a reference image - am using some tapestry images - will post a photo of my plan once got it sorted
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2006, 06:18 AM
A Local Legend
Spring, Tx US

Hails from United States

I want to thank you in advance, for doing this! I know it's taking a lot of your time & I really appreciate you sharing this wonderful technique.
Joyful creating,
ginger
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2006, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Penticton BC

Hails from Canada

Hello All
I'm still around so far this morning so I thought I would drop in.
Ruth Feel free to try your own, can't wait to see it
thats the whole point of this, the engraved wall is really the only lesson that were doing, the creativity is everyone owns or they can follow along.
NitsaWelcome, glad you can make it, can't wait to see how yours come out
DahlisMarieWelcome, don't worry I will take time and go through this slowly so hopefully you'll have no issues keeping up, I am leaving what I ahve up so everyone can figure out what design for the wall they wish to do first and get their cartoon sketch down, then we'll move onto sponging, which really goes by fast because it really does't matter in the sponging as long as it is random.
GingerWelcome Ginger, and your welcome, it's actually fun trying this, so I don't mind because I am enjoying this as much as everyone else.
I'll continue to pop in every chance I get.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2006, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Prince Edward Island

Hails from Canada

I love this! The more I learn about underpainting the better.....loved the lady butterfly WIP .......so cant wait for the next installment

Thank You for your time

Audrey
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2006, 02:35 PM
Pretoria S.A.

Hails from South Africa

I have to try this although I know now already that I am going to mess up a perfectly good canvas It should be fun and eveyone keeps saying that that's all you need to do. Here goes nothing maties. Thanks Sam but I will have to bill you for the loss of my canvas

Now where's my toothbrush........?

PS. I need to rinse it before brushing my teeth again.........
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2006, 06:54 PM
Southern Highlands, New South Wales

Hails from Australia

My outline is all done, however my lines are a bit wonky. I'm hoping that won't matter in the grand scheme of things????

"Painting is silent poetry and poetry is painting with the gift of speech" -
Simonides
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2006, 07:27 PM
Auckland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

I may as well 'fess up: my inspiration is coming from my favorite sofa - this is a photo of a bit of it and will include some of these motifs (banner and oak leaf twirly thing on the engraved wall with the shield / lion as the foreground I think)

Do you think this will work Sam?- I have been wanting to develop a fleur de lis / english tapestry look which I may eventually add to a layered distressed background and do a 3d flower in the foreground once I have figured out how to go about all the different elements (Then watch out have A HUGE canvas for it to all come together, but that's in the future still)
"One of life's most fulfilling moments occurs ... when the familiar is suddenly transformed into the dazzling aura of the profoundly new.... the only difference is our perspective, ... to see patterns where only shadows appeared a moment ago" Edward B. Lindaman
-
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2006, 08:19 PM
henderson, texas

Sam,
Hi, sorry, I'm so new to the website. How do I upload the image of your outline? And no I definitely don't want to use my own at this point. I can't wait to get started

Thanks
lis
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2006, 02:46 AM
Auckland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Just a quick update on my image I'll do the beveled edging on and then add some script and the lion image at the end
- a bit fuzzy as forgot to jpg photo, Does this look like it is doable or should I do a simpler design? Ruth
-