WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-13-2005, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Upper Bavaria / Germany

Hails from Germany
Re: November Classroom: PORTRAITURE

Hi,

still trying to catch up. I do not know when i will have time again to work on this, so i decided to do some work today. Went better then i thought even i can see that there is a some likeness.

This is my very first try on portraiture... but no need to be gentle... tell me frankly what works and what doesn't.
Attached Images

"What i am and do is due to the state of my mental development,
what others think of me is due to the state of their mental developement!"
Dieter Zeiner
My Website - Reference Image Library - My Photos - My blog
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-13-2005, 12:44 PM
WC! Guide
In the heart of The Pearl (Portland OR)

Hails from United States

Lady M I think the likeness is terrific. I thought I noticed a waterfall is your drawing and sure enough there it is. You've placed her in a much more tranquil setting. That's fun.
Gayle
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-13-2005, 02:28 PM

I have a peachy skintone, made of aurelin and cool pink(indian red). You would thing they'd neutralize each other since yelow is on the greenish side and that would make it a nice complimentary. Howerver the skin is not cool enough. I reckon if I should add ultramarine to it to farther cool it? Or is it a prussian blue since the forehead is so yellow looking(this is my 3rd portrait so I am scared to make a green face) The person on my ref doesnt have any harsh shadows on her face, only some subtle shadows on cheeks and only a bit denser - gray - by the chin. I would say cool light/warm shadows but I might be wrong -- its an indoor photo. So for the shadows I am thinking of pink/green? Although I am catching a lot of sienna in the shadows from her red sienna hair.The face looks very white to me - nicol kidman white. I apologise for not posting a ref image -- the truth is, the photo is small so I 'll try to take a photo of it since i've stapled it to the wall as to not lose it. Will post an image w photo as soon as it looks bearable to the eye.
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-13-2005, 08:59 PM
A Local Legend
UK

Hails from England

Al, sketch is looking good and very detailed!

Dewi, Some shadows are still missing: underneath left side of bottom lip, bottom curve of viewers right cheek, hairline and under the chin area especially.

Your shadow colour is also a little orange, add a little umber to it or blue/purple to cool it down.

Your sketch is good but I think you really need to hint at the other shoulder being there. Mix some yellow ochre and white for your highlights.

Her bottom lip is thicker and fuller in the viewers left corner and her face is rounder than you have it on that side, I think you may have taken the background into the face a little too much that side...add a little when you highlight. Her eyes are not as oval as you have them on the bottom line, closing them up slightly will make her appear to smile....Look in the mirror and see how they rise when you smile then how they open up when you don't.
You have the structure there, don't be embarassed - You're doing great!

Gayle this is a super attempt at your Dad. The shadow on the tip of the nose is slightly out, re-check it. Watercolour paper allows you to run a final wash of yellow ochre over the whole portrait to unify everything, make sure it's very watery though.
Don't forget all those lovely shadows behind his glasses and the shadow along the top of his teeth!
Can't wait to see more!

Anita, this is just beautiful. I can imagine you are now at the stage where you are quite happy with it and would love to leave it alone....however, I do feel there are a few areas where a likeness could be enhanced more.
Please excuse my awful manipulations, I only have paint program...

Her face is a little wider than you have portrayed.
Her right nostril shape is there but it needs to be darker to enhance the width.
Her lips is wider on the viewers right side.
Her nose has much more shadow on it, so much so that the white highlight at the top stands out
Viewers left eyebrow shadow should be longer heading towards the nose.
Look for shapes...I've crudely outlines a shape on her cheek, the negative space in the shadows/the highlighted area...Check little areas like these all over and ensure your shapes are correct.
There is a highlight on the viewers left nostril that comes down from beneath the eye that I think is essential to her likeness - I've markes it in yellow.
Your shadows could go a few glazes darker so your highlights show up, right now a few are lost because areas are too similar in tone.

I hope my blobs make sense .
You are doing so well, this is such a lovely painting it would be a shame not to push those features and shadows.

Need some sleep, it's 2am, be back tomorrow...
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2005, 08:16 AM
A Local Legend
Vienna, Austria

Hails from England

Anita!!!!
www.anitamurphyart.com

Last edited by Anita Murphy : 11-14-2005 at 08:29 AM.
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2005, 09:52 AM
A WC! Legend
NYS

Hails from United States

Hi! I did not get my pic and therefore, have no sketch. I will just lurk and try sometime over the winter I guess. To much going on right now. Everyone is doing very well here for first attempts especially! If I can get in before the end of the month, I will. Thanks Anita.
Barbara
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2005, 11:08 AM
St John's, Newfoundland

Hails from Canada

Hi! Nitsa this is a great class. I enjoy very much looking at everybodys posts. I hope I am not too late to join. It took me awhile to find my 'victim'. Fortunately my colleague agreed. I started last Friday and did some work on the weekend.
Here is my progress so far.

The first layers of color.

More layers (reference photo on the left)

here is where I am so far:

I am not sure how to paint light grey hair (I think it is too dark now).
Tips and comments will be highly appreciated.

Anita: great painting! It has a watercolor look in it. Very nice fresh colors. I would perhaps get a tonal value of blue under the nose down a little bit but on the other hand it gives some looseness to the painting.

Cheers,

Yakov
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2005, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Upper Bavaria / Germany

Hails from Germany

thank you gaykir,
i hope i can get some work done on the background today I simply love love love waterfalls they have an aura of strength and beauty. i will leave the face alone until Nitsa starts to explain how to go on further from here. I am at that point where i do not know what to do and afraid to spoil it. *smile*

*leaning-back-and-waiting-for-the-teacher*

"What i am and do is due to the state of my mental development,
what others think of me is due to the state of their mental developement!"
Dieter Zeiner
My Website - Reference Image Library - My Photos - My blog
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2005, 12:05 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
UK

Hails from Scotland

Hi Morgana......your painting is looking really great.....(i thought i posted already)...
Yakov.....your painting is superb...i like his eyes....and the rest...well done.
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2005, 01:00 PM
A Local Legend
Vienna, Austria

Hails from England

Yakov - this is superb! Wow! If I was as good as this I would be really happy!!!

OK Anita - I did some more depth! Absolutely terrified. I really don't want to add any white to bring out the highlights (trying to do the watercolour thing!) but if you say it needs it then I will. Did I go too pink on the shadow on the above the right temple? Finding it really hard to get an accurate image.
www.anitamurphyart.com
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2005, 01:05 PM
A Local Legend
Vienna, Austria

Hails from England

YUK - It looks way too pink!!!!!
www.anitamurphyart.com
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2005, 01:34 PM
A Local Legend
Tupelo, Mississippi

Hails from United States

Looks good Anita, get aload of this mess...

Okay, portrait painting ain't my thing. After really screwing up the first canvas I got started on another one. I'd made up my mind that I was going to get something done. This is a quickie... for me anyway, done in four hours.
I thought I'd get "painterly" on this one, forget the blending, the detail and holding my brush like a pencil. So standing back from my work and holding my brush on the end I went to town. This is what I ended up with. This one almost ended up in the trash as the first one but the more I looked at it the more I thought I could live with it. My wife was laughing at it last night as she walked by but today she said she liked it. Go figure...

Anyhoo, my palette...
Skin tone I used,
Tit White
Cad Red Med.
Cad Yellow Med.
Phthalo Green.
Rest of palette...
Burnt Umber
Mars Black
Cad Orange
Ultramarine Blue
Dioxazine Purple
Nutral Gray, Value 5

Colors are off abit due to the lighting...

Peace,
AL

#73   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2005, 06:47 PM
A Local Legend
UK

Hails from England

Bard-Thanx for the encouragement, a little confusing at first but I think I'm starting to make sense now! LOL!
7 oil paintings in progress!!! WOW!

LadyM -
Sorry, the lettering isn't showing too well...It says.....
Above the pink line is darker where her roots lie.
There is less white showing in the viewers right eye than you have.
The curve in her face is there but not as exagerrated as you have painted it.
It's coming along really well, keep layering your darks gradually/thinly so you feel you have control of the stages.

Yakov - Your portrait is painted wonderfully, I have made a few notes where I think it could be improved upon...

Mamari...Could you post your painting so far and the ref for us, it's very hard to comment on words alone.

Quote:
Anita!!!!
LOL!...You can do it!
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2005, 07:04 PM
A Local Legend
UK

Hails from England

Barbara - Hope life isn't too hectic for you, glad to know you are lurking anyway!

Anita - Understand your going for the watercolour "thing" and there's no need to use white, just need to make the darks create the whites.
I do think the temple has got a little HOT, yes, try cooling it with some cool glazes of colours within your palette.
We want to keep it light and painterly but I do think the following suggestions would push the llikeness:

The bit on the left says: There is a hint of purple here that runs all the way around the highlight and into the corner of her mouth.

I know it's nerve wracking but you are doing great....just a little further...
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2005, 07:06 PM
A Local Legend
UK

Hails from England

Quote:
YUK - It looks way too pink!!!!!
I don't think it does but you can neutral and tie things together by adding a final wash of yellow ochre. Make sure it's very watery, I do this in watercolours and it adds life to highlights aswell as unifying the face as a whole.