WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2005, 09:05 PM
A Local Legend
UK

Hails from England
Re: November Classroom: PORTRAITURE

Well well, what's this thread doing on page 2 then??...Hmmmm?....

Jeff - Found a "victim" yet?

JoeJoe - Work at your own pace, there is no hurry but please post updates along the way no matter how slow it's progressing.

Dewi - Pleased to hear you are going to give the classroom a go, jump right in and don't be doubtful!

Gail - Sorry to hear you have a "rotten" cold, hope you're soon feeling better. How brave of you to attempt a portrait without first sketching it out...Can't wait to see your progress.

Maureen - Ah, now how can portraits be labelled your weakest area when you have spent your whole life avoiding them?
You can do this! Peasey!!!

Diahn - Ooooh, great timing then! Excellent!

Ceccy - Interesting that you say you dislike portraits because they say so little...Perhaps you could paint one with a voice?

Anita - "MAVERICK, ANITA IS SKIPPING YOUR CLASS" No worries Anita, your secret is safe with me. LOL!

Al - Hiya Join us when you can!...Ooooh, I have a piccie for you at long last to seal our deal...will send later.

Barbara - You're welcome...I do hope you'll be joining in aswell as reading!

Johnnie - Pleased to hear that your eye is now fixed, must be quite freeing! I vote you do it in acrylic! LOL!

Anita - Re: detail...Put however much you think YOU will need. If you work quite loosely minimum detail is best, just some strong KEY linear work that will act as a guide. Just make sure the lines you do have are quite accurate because everything else will be built from them. Finer work may require a more detailed sketch.

Soooooo where is everyones first post then????
What surface did you chose to paint on first?
I've chosen watercolour board for my first piece (I am hoping to do two in this classroom)
My first is going to be more layered and glazed a little like watercolour technique. I haven't painted an acrylic portrait on watercolour board yet but I have used it for other subjects and found it's smoothness fantastic for detail work. It does suck up the paint though so I'm sure I'll face a few blending challenges....we shall see!
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2005, 10:01 PM
A Local Legend
Vienna, Austria

Hails from England

I tried to get a photo of mine but it is so light that it doesn't show! Sorry!!!!
www.anitamurphyart.com
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2005, 11:47 PM

hi Nitsa remember me ???? LOL well i posted my update on the acrylic page in my thread ( work in progress) should i be posting it here ?? i had a question for you if you get a chance to look at my thread. I hope i am doing ok ???? don't really know ???? Like i said in my thread i think i got the hair too dark, what do you think ??????Please let me know. I am awaiting your answer. Have a great day !!!! Robin
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2005, 05:32 AM
A Local Legend
UK

Hails from England

Quote:
hi Nitsa remember me ???? LOL well i posted my update on the acrylic page in my thread ( work in progress) should i be posting it here ??

Hi Robin, yes you should be posting your classroom piece in this thread.

Anita....What a shame, I know what you mean though I had trouble myself.

I've chosen someone famous for my piece so you don't have to keep flicking back to a ref for a likeness comparison, as I am hoping this thread will become quite long!

#20   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2005, 08:02 AM
A Local Legend
Vienna, Austria

Hails from England

Well that is instantly recognisable Anita!!!
www.anitamurphyart.com
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2005, 01:20 AM

Question Re: November Classroom: PORTRAITURE

Nitsa , i hate to bug you but i need to know if i can enter that peice i am doing or i need to start another one ???? please let me know thank you
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2005, 01:51 AM
Veteran Member
Upper Bavaria / Germany

Hails from Germany

Oh oh oh... i want to do one too (jumping up an down)... if only i could find the time..... if you do not mind me being late for all steps i will try to catch up. What a pity i got to work to earn my pay... On the weekend i will make it so far as posting my sketch (hopefully). I hope that is okay?

"What i am and do is due to the state of my mental development,
what others think of me is due to the state of their mental developement!"
Dieter Zeiner
My Website - Reference Image Library - My Photos - My blog
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2005, 02:46 AM
A Local Legend
Tupelo, Mississippi

Hails from United States

Anita, the likeness looks spot on here. She was a beautiful lady, inside and out.
Okay... I've changed my mind... the still life can be put on the back burner.
I already have a really cool idea for a portrait and hope to get it laid out soon.
Good to hear about the pic... the one in the upper corner????
Anyway, I'll get my layout posted soon. (I hope)
Peace,
AL

#24   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2005, 06:49 AM
wales u k

Hails from United Kingdom

Oh waw........Dianna........gorgeous lady, have done one in pencil but lost it, will do one again one day, that I have promised myself.
What I am going to try is my late mother-in-law approx 1934? fingers crossed, done the drawing in squares
hugs
john
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2005, 12:04 PM
A Local Legend
Tupelo, Mississippi

Hails from United States

Okay Anita, here's my start. 16X20 on stretched canvas. Like I said it's my start so I haven't worked out the background yet though I know what I'm doing for it.

Peace,
AL
Attached Images

#26   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2005, 03:19 AM
South Australia

Hails from Australia

Can anyone join in??

Ill do up a sketch in case the answer is a yes. Lookin forward to watching this thread with interest.

Char

Paul Gauguin
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2005, 11:40 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Char - of course you can join in!
The only qualification is the use of acrylics!
Mckenzie - it's really only Projects where work must be new.
The classroom threads are study threads - so I see no reason why you cannot work on the portrait you have started.
Morgana - I hope you find time to paint your blue hair - would love to see your SP - but maybe you prefer another person!
The Class runs for the whole of November, but even then, the thread is never closed, so members may drop in whenever they please!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2005, 12:53 PM
A Local Legend
UK

Hails from England

Thanx Maureen!

Anita - Thankyou!

Al your sketch looks fantastic, is the space on the left waiting for something special?

Thankyou JoeJoe! So sad that you lost your portrait of Diana.

Soooooooo...Does everyone have a ref chosen?
Can we see them? ....along with your sketch if you can get it to show....
Post your ref along with a list you would select for your palette colours,

While we wait for all your lovely refs to be uploaded here's step 3:

Step 3 - Values
Time to really study your subject. Print off a monochrome of your ref image and take in the tonal range.
I always use a monochrome ref to study, without the added complication of colour the eye reads the values alot easier. Immediately you will be able to see that areas are much darker than you would have first expected on just viewing the coloured ref.
Print off a coloured ref the same size and have BOTH at your easel throughout the painting.
Study the coloured ref...Look for those violets, greens, oranges, blues...skin is far from uninteresting!
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2005, 03:21 PM
A WC! Legend
NYS

Hails from United States

Just wanted to say how glad I am we are doing this here. I just made my first visit to the Portraiture Forum and lurked through their threads. OMG Fantastic works! I scurried back here quickly before anyone noticed me! OK, I don't even have a decent pic to work from , so I will gussy myself up and have DH take one this weekend. Thanks again Anita!
Barbara
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2005, 03:43 PM
A Local Legend
Vienna, Austria

Hails from England

Ready to paint - woohoo colour!!!!! (I am suffering colour deprivation after months with a pencil stuck to my hand!)
I did this portrait for the portrait swap on portraiture forum and did that in graphite. So having not posted my outline as it is too light I thought I would post that instead. Rose, the victim, has kindly given me permission to use her as my guinea pig for this class. Thank you Rose!
www.anitamurphyart.com