WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Have you tried Oil painting?
Yes 254 68.46%
No 117 31.54%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2002, 06:54 AM
Enthusiast
Yatton, North Somerset England

Hails from England
Terrymor, welcome to our community, aren't acrylics great, such good bright colours, I hope you hurry and post some of your work for us to see - mike
(=','=)
(") (")

Click here to see Wetcanvas Artists Ebay Group auctions

My ebay homepage
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2002, 08:58 AM
Northern Virginia

Hails from United States
I took a quick scan of the chemical contents of one brand of gouache, see http://www.holbeinhk.com//hgouatec.htm.

The ones I recognize appear to be non-organic minerals or mineral compounds of some kind.

Certainly white using titanium oxide would be opaque, but I wonder if some non-organic, mineral based pigments are opaque by their own nature.

I remember reading about this in one of my books. If I find the book I will get back.
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2002, 04:10 PM
Enthusiast
Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally posted by Studio224
Still... I am puzzled because my watercolor tubes of W&N are very pigmented but.... are not opaque!

Anne-Claire, I think that's just the difference in the way they are used. You usually don't use watercolors full-strength or thickly at all. If you did, the opaque pigments (cadmiums, for example; cerulean; others I can't think of now) would cover the paper like gouache does. But watercolors are not made for that. You can also thin down gouache the way you do watercolors, but gouache is made to be used more thickly, so that even the transparent pigments in gouache are rather opaque.

Does that make sense?

Victoria
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2002, 03:37 AM
Lord of the Arts
Portugal

Hails from Portugal
Yes it does... and maybe the pigments are not milled as finely as the one for watercolors.
-m-m--------

Studio224
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2002, 06:11 AM
Veteran Member
Southern Germany

Hails from Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by VictoriaS

I'm sure you know more than I do. But I do know that the gouaches I use (Schmincke and Winsor & Newton) are not mixed with white.
Victoria

Hi,

as I understand it, the principal formulation of gouache includes a heavy pigment load (the pigments being the same as for water colour) and the addition of a small amount of chalk to increase opacity, and tree gum as a binder. The pigments need not to be grinded as fine as in water colour because the paint is not designed to be used in washes etc. but as a thicker layer. The larger particles may add to the increased opacity.

The WN and Schmincke artist grade gouaches seem to lack the chalk (as far as I deduce this from their web sites). As a consequence their colour charts mention the opacity/transparency of the paints, and they have a couple of semi-transparents in their gouache lines.

cheers

martin
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2002, 12:25 PM
Enthusiast
Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.

Just as I suspected, Martin. Thank you.

Victoria
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2002, 01:54 PM
Westchester, IL, USA

Hails from United States
Thanks. That "clarifies" an "opaque" subject for me. I never looked at the chemical composition, just accepted the "authorities" on the subject. If I didn't have gouache to hand,
I just added white or marble dust (always available) to watercolor to get the effect.
I guess if I can still learn, I'm not old. Or is that a "dog"?
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2002, 08:31 PM
NC, USA

Hails from United States
hey,
what attracts me to acrylics.....hmm.....I like the fact that acrylics dry fast and the way that they are thinner than regular oil.....I also just like acrylics for what they are....(if that means anything....)
it is my opinion that everything must be based upon an extremely simple idea. and it is my opinion that this idea, once we have finally discovered it, will be so compelling, so beautiful, that we will say to one another, yes how could it have been any different. ~john wheeler
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2002, 12:23 PM
El Dorado Springs, MO

Hails from United States
I'm not exactly sure why there's a debate over oils vs. acrylic in the first place... they're two completely different mediums and both have their appropriate places. I am primarily an oil painter myself. Until recently I hadn't worked in acrylics for several years. I received a commission two months ago for a mural which will be installed in a gourmet grocer. The client had a concern about putting oil-based materials into an area that is adjacent to food preparation...and I agreed with her. So the mural is being painted in acrylic instead of oil. I'm two panels into a four panel mural and enjoying the process immensely. Sure the paint dries (much) faster than oil, but after about the first two hours of diddling around to sort of "test the waters", the paint and brush strokes started to flow naturally and I fell into the "groove" with the acrylic medium. The painted surface is much more matte than oils and so I find myself keeping an eye on shadow detail in a way I don't have to do with oils, and it took a little getting used to the short dry time since I like to muck around with the thick oil for a while. But the acylic is an appropriate choice for this particular subject (large fruits and vegetables) and I'm able to scumble, glaze, add in impasto...whatever--in a short time frame. The closest I could come to drying this fast using oils would be if I added Cobalt dryer...and that's a recipe for disaster usually!
[email protected]
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2002, 10:07 AM
Preveza- Epirus- Greece

Hails from Greece
wow all this information - I started painting in oils in April after I was given a beautiful set and easel for my birthday from a very dear friend, who had listened to me go on and on about wishing I could do something 'arty' ... like I did many years ago at school!

Anyway, I was having a great time using oils - until I found out I am pregnant ... which means I must stop oil painting. I'm now interested in painting in acrylics.

A few questions:1. In oils I tend to use them straight from the tube and blend on the canvas.... can I do that with acrylics?

2. I used a limited palette with oils - do I need to buy more colours in acrylic or can I mix them, like oils?

Very basic questions I know - but I haven't bought any yet and I was wondering if anyone can help me before \I give up my cash!

Thanks !
I'll browse through the forum now and see what acrylics produce!
Regards
Jayne
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2002, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Southern Germany

Hails from Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by jayjay

Anyway, I was having a great time using oils - until I found out I am pregnant ...
- Good luck!
Quote:

A few questions:1. In oils I tend to use them straight from the tube and blend on the canvas.... can I do that with acrylics?
you can - if you are quick ;-) -- Acrylics dry much faster than oils, so especially when you are using thin layers you might get in touble. There are retarders ( I never tried one), but you will never get an "open time" like in oils. One technique is to mix small amounts, get this onto the canvas within a few minutes, and until you decide what next and mix your next sample, the canvas is dry already ...
Quote:

2. I used a limited palette with oils - do I need to buy more colours in acrylic or can I mix them, like oils?
They love to be mixed

Cheers and welcome

martin
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2002, 03:23 PM
Lord of the Arts
Canada

Hails from Canada
I started in oils because it was more traditional I suppose. Right now I'm painting in oils for one technique and acrylics for another. I'm not sure if I should be doing this or if it's fair to either medium. Drying time and paint consistency are factors too. I don't really prefer one over the other. I collect all kinds of mediums whether I use them or not. I just have to have them!
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2002, 08:26 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Sweden
I used to think that oil wasn't right for my temperament - I hated to wait to finish a painting. So I tried Acrylics and it dryed thoo darn fast! Arrrrrrrrrgg! The frustration! (No I never tried retarders )

So I quit. And did something else for a couple of years. But I'd really wanna try and paint again - I'm sure I've matured since my last paintings. Exactly what results could one hope for with retarders and mixing with mediums when using acrylics?
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2002, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Anyway, I was having a great time using oils - until I found out I am pregnant ... which means I must stop oil painting. I'm now interested in painting in acrylics.
Jayne

The main difference between acrylics and oils, of course, is the binder. Pigments remain the same. You should know that acrylics aren't entirely "safe" either, as they contain formaldehyde and a substance similar to ammonia. Oils, on the other hand, use linseed oil (flax seed oil) as the binder, which is purported to be one of the healthiest oils your body can get next to.

I take it what you're really concerned about is the solvents often associated with oils. I use solvents as little as possible, if at all. You CAN paint with oils without using solvents.

You can thin the paint using a little more linseed oil, walnut oil (which I love), or oil of spike (like lavendar oil). Or better yet, just paint straight from the tube and let your brush do the thinning. I clean my oil brushes at the end of a session with regular bathroom liquid soap and water, nothing else. Comes perfectly clean, without solvents. There are also soaps, like Ugly Dog, made specifically for cleaning oil brushes. You can also rinse your brushes off in a jar of vegetable oil, then wipe clean. This works good too.

There are also water soluble oils. They thin with water and can be great for laying in an underpainting, then using regular oils straight from the tube over top.

Just some thoughts before giving up the ship.
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2003, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Escondido, CA

Hails from United States
Attention Oil Painters, use acrylics for a year then go back to your oils and you will find your oil paintings will have improved immeasurably. No time to fiddle around and make mud and you'll find your decision making process will have picked up speed.

Oils for me were like chemistry in which I got a D. Acrylics---- water only. You don't have to buy all those bottles and cans of stuff and read books about famous artists' mixes and formulas and on and on. Just turn on the tap.

I've read all the forgoing pluses for acrylics and can't remember a bad one.

Howard