WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Have you tried Oil painting?
Yes 254 68.46%
No 117 31.54%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2002, 03:09 PM
A WC! Legend
Kansas City, Missori

Hails from United States
Greetings:

There is a magic 'spritzer' you can 'spray' over your oil paints to dry them faster.

There is a new type of oil paint which stay wet forever until 'fixed' with a special heat gun, which I believe emits UV.

So, you can have the best of 'both worlds', the ability to continually re-work indefinitely, then have a completely 'dry' painting in a matter of minutes.

As far as colour goes, I believe that I've read in several places (Golden's literature, for one) that oils, watercolours, and acrylic paints all use the same pigments, that the only difference is the respective binders: linseed oil for oil paints, water for watercolours, and acrylic emulsion for acrylics.

If this is true, there should be no difference between colours applied in oil paints, and colours applied in acrylics.

Keith.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2002, 04:57 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
California

Hails from United States
No, the only diffrence really is the way they are worked with... drying time and so forth...

Oh, and the look when they are finished, though i have heard that you can make acrylics look like water colors or oils depending on how you use them. I've never seen anyone make an oil look like a watercolor though

My Etsy My Blog My AC
My Deviant Art
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2002, 09:31 PM
A Local Legend
New York, USA

Hails from United States
Good point, Crissy. Oil and water are two terribly different substances. Their consistency, transparency, and refraction index would definitely have different effects on the perception of color.

For a test, compare looking through a clear glass of water and that same glass filled with oil.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2002, 08:21 AM
Southampton, UK.

Hails from United Kingdom
I love acrylics:

Advantages – they dry quickly
Disadvantages – they dry quickly!

I also enjoy using oil paint, but after using acrylics the drying rate seems so slow. I have recently started using Alkyd fast drying oils (Griffin W&N) for some pictures and find them really good. They allow much more time for blending and wiping out, and are usually dry the following day ready for the next stage.

William

My website http://www.solent-art.co.uk
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2002, 10:30 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from Canada
Wink Will...LOL

I love acrylics because they seem can be so vibrant and crisp. I love that they are so flexible and can dry so quickly...I hate that they dry quickly too but the pro's outweight the cons for me here.

I cant say they are cost effective...I have paid premium $$$ to buy tubes with cadmium in them. My average tube runs me 7-8 dollars, have paid as high as 18-21 ...I guess it depends on the brands, quality, whether they contain cadmium pigment ...

Havent tried oils yet...to be honest I love the look and texture but the thought of all those chemicals/fumes and the lengthy drying times they entail kind of discourages me...
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2002, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Amsterdam

Hails from United Nations
Mostly acrylics because of the speed. I usually don't spend much more than two or three hours on a single painting. But occasionally I feel like really working in the different colours and layers and just spend a lot of time with wet paint and than oils are the obvious choice. And even with retarder I cannot achieve the slow drying time of oils.
Oils however do smell great.

Other than that I have no preference. The structure of oils I can do to the same degree using gels.
Cost seems to be less of a concern: Grade A (Talens Rembrandt) acrylics tend to be almost as expensive as oils.

Ron van den Boogaard -acrylics on the web-
Pinterest
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2002, 06:02 PM
Blue Ridge Mts.

Hails from United States
Well if you want really bright -out of- the tube colors ,use acrylics you can acheive that quickly with little mixing.I like the feel of oils like "spreading butter on the bread." and the flow and the thickness. of course acrylic can be spread thick and dry nice and fast .with knife work. you must work faster with acrylics,it is hard to go back and change like you can with oils. but the oils using water casein are pretty good, for those doing portraits I hear they are really nice. I found they get gummy though for me , don't know why but perfers oils. Be careful of the cheaper $2.00 oils,they may contain lead. some still do. Not good.Bridges
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2002, 03:12 AM
maine

Hails from United States
why i use acryllics

i like being able to make almost instant changes to the appearances of paint on the canvas....if i don't like the way the visual elements are developing all i need do is wait a couple of minutes, let the surface dry, and go back in to re=work...i can keep the surface workable for quite a few minutes so there is time to develop the image...for me acryllics present the best choice...also, i can work with watercolor technique when i choose to, or impasto if that is my choice...having the watercolor technique available, alone, or in combination with other techniques is a plus!
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2002, 05:15 AM
Blue Ridge Mts.

Hails from United States
what you say is all correct. I guess it is what one really gets used to. I just never got the softness with acrylics. I like the manipulation factor you spoke of, with my oils!. changing,etc. but if want a fast picture I use acrylics. I think it is hard also to tell anymore which is which when one views paintings.. I used to get a real shine to my oils and now cannot seem to get that any more in oils unless of course sprayed but I mean when applying the oils. I use linseed or poppy sed oil, and get a litlle more than I used to. At any rate to each his own, and there are some really nice paintings out there is all mediums. the little class I teach uses acrylics. because they love instant results. a picture done quickly, and done and hung!. Have fun! Bridges
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2002, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Phoenix Arizona USA

Hails from United States
Smile my opinion

I think a combination of acrylics and oils IN THE SAME PAINTING IS THE IDEAL COMPROMISE. First lay down an underpainting in acrylics and then overpaint with glazes of oils. I have noticed that a number of painters displayed in INTERNATIONAL ARTIST are now adopting that technique.

vallarta
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2002, 02:47 PM
wisconsin

Hails from United States
Post acrylic vs oil

acrylic is really the bridge between oil and watercolor. paint it thick with medium for the same effect as oil. thin it with water and apply washes for a watercolor effect, drying it with a hair dryer. if you want it to dry really fast, use an air brush. oil does have that underglow that is hard to capture with acrylic, but the disadvantages make acrylic the choice for me. for the adventurous, use a metallic dryer with oil paint. be aware that dryers for oil paint are very toxic and must be used carefully.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2002, 01:01 PM
Northern Virginia

Hails from United States
I've used both. I now perfer acrylics.

On the issue of the "heirarchy" of artists. Please understand, I don't consider myself that good (yet!), but I'm not that bad.

But I've had "artists" with no technical skill pooh pooh acrylics as beneath them, quoting one, "my work is for eternity," referring to her child's-stick-figure level of work. Actually, I've seen some stick-figures better then her work. Oh well.

The great concern I have with oils is the fumes. Even the water soluble ones have house-filling fumes.

I am concerned with any complex organically based volatiles. Not sure I spelled this right, sure don't want to breath the stuff.

My concern are this simple, health issues. Of course with my luck somene will find mad-cow disease in Alizaren crimson or something.

Tim
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2002, 10:40 PM
Westchester, IL, USA

Hails from United States
My 2˘ worth: I use all media, including oils and acrylic and oils over acrylics. First began to use acrylics before they were available as an art medium. Several of us would chip in to buy the materials and mix our own, then share.
Major advantages of acrylic to me are: clarity like glass, you can build glazes on glazes infinitely (practically about 30 - 50; oil's limit is about 6), formulae can be adjusted to give a wider range of handling and effects than any other medium and they can be combined in the same work, fast drying speeds completion...
Major advantages of oil to me are: ease of blending and brushwork, "mellow" handling of light, slow drying allows flexibility in development...
I have developed a glazing medium formula for acrylics that permits blending effects similar to oils - a fresh glaze atop a layer less than 2 days old will soften the lower layer, allowing the pigment to cross the boundary, like oils. You can simulate this formula by diluting 2 parts acrylic medium with 1 part water, then adding a little dishwashing liquid detergent. Say 6 oz. Acrylic, 3 oz. H2O and 1 to 3 drops DWL. Glaze the final layer with straight, clear medium for permanence.
If forced to choose one of the two, I'd have to pick acrylics. However, I can make oil paints from scratch. Acrylics require a petroleum refining industrial infrastructure.
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2002, 02:08 PM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States
In the same way the artist has to be wary of the gift possessing him or her, but rather s/he should possess the gift, don't make such a big thing over the medium you use. The final image should captivate the viewer, and somewhere down the list of priorities ought the medium be pause for thought.

I paint acrylics and have for about 20 years. I paint oils. Watercolors. Pastels...

they all have advantages and disadvantages. Some advantages you'll discover because of a stubborn inclination to appraise a medium higher than others. Such is the nature of discovering break-thrus, and if that happens for you....good. But, this is a little like young men arguing Harley Davidson over Honda, or Ford over Chevy...

A vehicle gets you to point B from point A....whether its paint or a car.

AS for oils over acrylics...there is a process for doing such. The washes of acrylics has to be so slight that the oils can still penetrate and sink into the support's primed surface. If the acrylic is smooth and thick enough to offer only an impervious nonporous layer, then you later can literally take a thumbnail and scrape the oil off.

Understand one reason more and more artists are using that technique today is that more and more commercially trained illustrators that work with mixed media that are required to meet deadlines cut corners to get an image that will meet the job. Once a photoshoot shoots the final image, whatever happens to the original is insignificant.

Many illustrators getting into fine art bring such practices, and if they especially are going to make prints then the original is simply regarded as the image to "photoshoot".....

Unfortunately, print sales causes the value of the original to rise until they in fact sell the piece.

I asked one well known wildlife artist (a former commercial illustrator) about the ethics of his applying the finishing touches of oil paint over his acrylic paintings so that he could get the results he wanted as well as the prestige the market ascribes to oils...knowing that the oil film could be scraped off....and he more or less shrugged his shoulders and said, "oh well..."

so...do beware.

Larry
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2002, 06:17 AM
Lord of the Arts
Portugal

Hails from Portugal
I think this is a dumb question but I am going to ask it anyway... What's the difference between acrylic and gouache? The pigments are the same... so what's the difference? The binder?

I have been using gouache and watercolor for some time now and I am going to try acrylics. I am not sure I will try one day oils because of the fumes: i have so many migraines and headache already that... I am not looking for more! Also, I have an asthmatic kid... Still I am wondering about gouache and acrylic. I know that gouache is mostly used by designers and for illustration.
-m-m--------

Studio224