WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Have you tried Oil painting?
Yes 254 68.46%
No 117 31.54%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2002, 12:49 AM
Upstate New York

I have tried oils and prefer acrylics for the following reasons (in no particular order):
* Faster drying time.
* Immediacy of results.
* Flexibility of medium.
* Easier cleanup.
* Lack of fumes.
* Stability of medium.
* Innate resistance to the status quo.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2002, 09:08 AM
Ireland

Hails from Ireland
actylics vs oils

Like Wally's Mom said, sometimes you have to use the medium which best suits your living circumstances. I went out last year and spent a lot of money on oil paints, turpenoid, linseed oil, brushes etc, only to discover that the unpleasant fumes were noticeable all over my house. The fact that my toddler son had to endure this odour (and fumes) made me decide to give up oils until I can get a bigger home with space for a studio.

Anybody looking to swap *lots* of oil paints for *lots* of acrylics or watercolours?

Regards to all,
Kieran
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2002, 03:54 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
California

Hails from United States
Kieran i would... if i had any acrylics to swap

II absolutly LOVE oils.... hopeing to afford them after tax season...

My Etsy My Blog My AC
My Deviant Art
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2002, 07:15 PM
St John's - NF

Hails from Canada
I've been into both.

I have to say oils, for whatever reason, seem to express a richness in colour that I can't seem to acheive with acrylic.

On the other hand, handling characteristics of acrylic and their flexibility in terms of handling the final product far exceed those of oil. Only thing I can't stand is acrylics tendancy to dry fast.

Anyone thought of inventing some kind of spray we could "spritz" over our painting when done PAINTING and display?? Hmmmmm...
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2002, 07:47 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
California

Hails from United States
you mean a quick dry spray? Well i am all for that

though i wouldnt want to put anything else on my canvas but paint for the most part

My Etsy My Blog My AC
My Deviant Art
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2002, 09:27 PM
St John's - NF

Hails from Canada
well.....

I mean "quick dry" spray/spritz (spritz would be better for envirnment) for oils.

Yes I'm well aware of alkyd additives which speed up the oil process, but just imagine some sort of spray/spitz we could spray over our oils which could magicly fix them into images quickly and forever, much like acrylic once it's dried!!

All the same tho, I'd rather trade off colour issues and deal with acrylics than wait forever for oils to dry....

bd
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2002, 10:47 PM
Washington, DC

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by blackduck
All the same tho, I'd rather trade off colour issues and deal with acrylics than wait forever for oils to dry....

They only take 2 days to dry, it's not that long. You just need a combination of patience, and not painting in too many layers.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2002, 12:45 PM
A Local Legend
Indian Land , SC. Suburb of Charlotte,NC

Hails from United States
I paint in acrylics and find them very rich in colors and if you blend them with the let say Matte Opaque Extender Gel Medium you will get oil effect and texture in the final painting.

Julia
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2002, 02:08 PM
A WC! Legend
Kansas City, Missori

Hails from United States
Greetings:

I have never understood the complaint against acrylics that they dry too quickly. (But then, I haven't worked in oils in decades.)
You ought to try airbrush painting.

Acrylic paints, after travelling six to eight inches through the air dry almost instantly upon contact with the surface. I hate having to wait for the 'brush' painted areas on my acrylic paintings to dry.

If you think that acrylics--painted with a brush--dry quickly, you would really hate the nearly instantaneous drying time of airbrushed acrylics.

Keith.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2002, 05:13 PM
Ma

Hails from United States
Revelation concering oils

Today I read all the letters about oils versus acrylics, the problems with oils, fumes etc. A shot rime later, while I was eating lunch I was musing over the letters and suddenly realized something, and I hope it was the revelation I needed.

I have had days of congestion, coughing, using an inhhalator, being mor congested when I wake up in the moring. I also live in a senior housing complex and have two rooms. I finished my last oil over a week ago. Right! The congestion is gone! Completely.

Jane Smith
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2002, 05:25 AM
A WC! Legend
She who rambles

Hails from United Kingdom
The issue of price is ridiculous. Due to the nature of the paints oils and acrylics take different amounts to cover. Basically, I paint in both oils and acrylics and probably spend about the same amount on my paints. A small tube of oil goes the same distance as a jar of acrylic. Note: this isn't derogatory at *all*, acrylic and oil just work differently. I only realised this when I tried acrylics because oils were getting expensive. Quickly realised that it wasn't any cheaper as I needed more paint.

I don't think a comparison is needed. Not all artists work in all mediums. There's no reason to. I like both. Some people only like oil. Some only acrylic. So what? They are very different mediums and using them are very different processes IMHO. Each has its benefits and downfalls.

Tina.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2002, 04:49 PM
missing Austin, Tx, working in Dallas currently

Hails from United States
I am a very spontaneous painter. When the idea comes i want to grab canvas and paint and get it all out before the day is done. It's a lot easier to do so with acrylics. I have always been more picky when it came to oils. So for still lifes and such, i use oils. Abstract art, (mostly spontaneous for me) Acrylics.

"Heaven and Hell are right here on Earth. Heaven is living in your hopes and Hell is living in your fears. It's up to each individual which one he chooses."
-Tom Robbins
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2002, 05:06 PM
A Local Legend
New York, USA

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by YLCIA
I am trying the watercolors now and it is giving me such a hard time after acrylics But I love them and I will try and try again...

Just curious, Julia, because I primarily do watercolor, how is it giving you a hard time?

I haven't tried acrylics yet; I just tried a couple of oils last summer. Right now I'm scaling back on adventures in new mediums so I can get really proficient in the ones I started with.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2002, 09:18 AM
A Local Legend
Charles City, Iowa

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by timelady
The issue of price is ridiculous. Due to the nature of the paints oils and acrylics take different amounts to cover. Basically, I paint in both oils and acrylics and probably spend about the same amount on my paints. A small tube of oil goes the same distance as a jar of acrylic. Note: this isn't derogatory at *all*, acrylic and oil just work differently. I only realised this when I tried acrylics because oils were getting expensive. Quickly realised that it wasn't any cheaper as I needed more paint.

I used to think this way. But now I use strickly Utrecht and a few Golden, except for those odd colors in WN Finity, and one 2oz tube lasts a long time. True, it is easier to have more waste with acrylic, but learning how to gauge how much paint you need is part of the learning curve. There does seem to be a larger variation, brand to brand, in pigment load vs oils. And not just from "student" to Professional grades.

I first started in acrylics. My father, an oil painter, gave me a Grumbacher starter set for Christmas when I was in Junior HS. I both loved and hated the quick drying nature of the stuff. When I picked up the brush again, it was in oils. But I had to limit my time to painting during the free hours at the college studio. The odors and long term wet state of the paint made it unsuitable for a shared apartment situation.

Now I have once again picked up the brush, I chose acrylics. I have a large enough studio space, and ventilation for oils, but the effects and body of work I have seen in recent years by artists painting in acrylics simply amazed me. And I like the broader compatibility with other media.

Andrew

“What a genius, that Picasso. It is a pity he doesn't paint.” - Marc Chagall
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2002, 01:56 PM
Lord of the Arts
NYC

Hails from United States
I started with acrylics because in HS that is the best medium to use I suppose since it dries fast. And I stopped painting when I was 20. But I picked it back up again at 30 or so.

I wasn't planning to try oils, I was fine with acrylic, but I had to buy an easel and the particular easel I wanted came with a starter oil set. For the price I couldn't leave it behind, so I took the whole thing.

Thought I'd play around with the oils, and liked it. Takes a long time to dry though which I'm not used to, but otherwise I have no problem using either medium.

and as far as ventelation, I paint in the livingroom by my window so there is no problem there.