WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Have you tried Oil painting?
Yes 254 68.46%
No 117 31.54%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#271   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2005, 10:30 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracysart
I also agree with disadvantages of canvas over time. I have seen many beautiful old paintings on canvas that are saging and cracking from reputable artists.
Many people who paint on stretched fabrics like the surface texture primarily, and I'm sure a lot also get to love the 'give' of the surface under the brush as they paint.

Painting in acrylics we don't have to work worry about cracks really but the changes in tension due to varied humidity are unavoidable with stretched natural fibres; if you don't mind losing the flex bonding the canvas to a rigid support like hardboard will give you the texture you like without the sagging/tightening cycle to worry about.

One of the options if you like give in your support but the texture isn't that important is to use a synthetic fibre like polyester, this won't respond to changes in humidity although most painters don't like the very 'mechanical' texture.

Einion

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk
  #272   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2005, 11:02 AM
Shelton, Washington

Hails from United States
Re: acrilics vrs oils

I am an acylic painter in decorative painting and using artist quality liquid paints. NOT craft quality. Yesterday I started my second "picture" on gessoed masonite and found for some strange reason my paints were not solidly covering until the second or third coat. This was so annoying and unusual. I blamed the solidity of the board, yet with the first painting I did months ago I did not encounter this problem
When I read your message today about bonding canvas to the board, of which I have many, I thought "aha, a solution!" Now, is there any particular bonding material I should use or will Sobo or any white glue, archival, work?
Thanks for your input.
  #273   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2005, 12:09 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
Hi Jane, ultra-smooth surfaces tend to highlight transparency in paints and acrylics are not the most opaque of mediums regrettably.

About bonding canvas to board, I asked this question of one of the members who works in the National Gallery in Washington about the best reversible adhesive for this sort of application and there's no easy answer as the best options aren't commonly available to us.

I wouldn't use acrylic medium for this if you're concerned with the extreme long term but good-quality PVA should be adequate, carboxymethyl cellulose is another option. But perhaps the best might be Miracle Muck, which I only heard of recently, but I'd want to know a bit more about it to recommend it outright.

Einion

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk
  #274   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2005, 01:39 PM
Shelton, Washington

Hails from United States

Well, I have so many canvases around here for oils that I think I'll cut one up for a couple masonite boards.
I did ask about archival, BUT since I am so aged, and not really the best artist in the world, perhaps it doesn't matter how long my creations last.
Can't keep up with all my "pleasures."
  #275   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2005, 09:52 PM
midwest

Hails from United States

I have used both mediums for years, and I guess I choose which one to use by the project I am working on and the desired results. I often paint the whole underpainting with acrylics and then when I get down to areas that I want to "noodle" around in and blend carefully (such as areas of a portrait) I switch to the slower drying paint to give me lots of time to blend and noodle.
for those who prefer something faster drying, but not as fast as acrylics, the MOST wonderful paint I use is Winsor &Newton Alkyds. They are basically a fast drying oil paint that can be used just as you do oils, and eve mix with your oils....they are completely compatible. They are pliable as long as you are working (noodling around) with them, and when you stop they start the drying process. It takes alkyds approx. 18-24 hours to dry completely, depending on temp. and humidity. They become dry to the touch much sooner and then can be glazed or worked over. If you don't want to buy all new paints, think about buying just a tube or few....like the slow dryng colors (white, cadmiums, etc.) These can then be mixed with your oils and the alkyd resin will help the oils to dry at the rate of the alkyds. Add a little Winsor & Newton "Liquin" medium (a fast drying alkyd medium) and you can still paint with oil like techniques but dry sooooo fast. Let me know if you have any questions about it. I have written a book on OIls and Alkyds and also on Acrylics. Would love to help any of you.
  #276   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2005, 10:36 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

For my use oils lends itself more to canvas. With a board in oils I tend to paint to thin and get to much build up on the edge of a line. The give of canvas is almost needed like you say.
For acrylic I didn't like canvas because it had a drag, especially when used to the slipperyness of oils. So I like the board for acrylics and found just the right texture I like to paint on.
I switched to acrylics mostly for the quick drying time. I like to use many layers. Clean up and no turps is a bonus.
  #277   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2005, 06:55 AM
Shelton, Washington

Hails from United States

What is the name of your book? Is it on the market? Possibly even in my library system?

I have alkyds in my oil painting box. For some reason I didn't think to go to them for this cat picture. I've used them mostly mixed with oils to hurry up the drying process. Haven't done an oil/acylic painting for over a year of more as I got involved in watercolor, and then I do decorative painting on a regular basis for that green stuff that supports my habits. Although it seems to be drying up.

Thanks for your help and jogging my aged brain.
  #278   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2005, 07:43 AM
midwest

Hails from United States

Aspiring:
Sometimes we have so much knowledge stuck in there somewhere that all it takes is a little reminder....don't you love finding you have answers after you have forgotten?
My book on Alkyds is out of print, but I ahve seen it on the secondary market.
It is called "Fun With Alkyds and Oils". The Acrylic book is "Painting Acrylics" in the first step series of North Lights books and is available still at most any bookstore or Amazon. Hope this helps, but if you need anything, let me know...just message me. I will be glad to help.
  #279   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2005, 08:11 AM
Shelton, Washington

Hails from United States

vlord,
Yes, it's amazing. I truly believe the mind is like a computer keeping all that info until we access it even without intent.

I'll look up the boooks.
Thanks for your offer.
  #280   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2005, 06:32 AM
A Local Legend
Rugby, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Golden Paints have now published a definitive article in the latest Just Paint by an academic with trade experience about oil and acrylic paints.

Mikey
  #281   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2005, 02:18 PM
Ontario /Canada

Hails from Canada

Thanks Mikey ,

That is good reading material.It will take awhile to go through it all. I will drop the link here for easy access for others.

http://www.goldenpaints.com/justpaint/jp12article1.php
  #282   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2005, 01:41 PM
midwest

Hails from United States

The Golden Article is very good and will be most helpful, even though for some it may seem a little technical, it has great information. Take the time to read it if you can.
  #283   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2005, 06:04 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrice
Thanks Mikey ,

That is good reading material.It will take awhile to go through it all. I will drop the link here for easy access for others.

http://www.goldenpaints.com/justpaint/jp12article1.php

A great article, thanks for posting the link.