WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Have you tried Oil painting?
Yes 254 68.46%
No 117 31.54%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2002, 05:46 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
California

Hails from United States
Acrylics vs oils

Not so long ago a new thread was started on the Oil Painting board discussing why oil users prefer this paint. Now i think its time to get the other half of the story. The orignal post read as follows:

I have notice many artist on the board have used both the acrylic and oil paints. Having read many posts on both medium boards- what is the one thing that attracted you most to oils? I am considering trying oils mainly for the workability on the canvas. Acrylic does seem to dry so quickly which could be seen as a plus or a minus.

thanks,
Davena

So acrylic painters, heres your chance to speak up. What attracted you to acrylics? Why did you stick with it?

My Etsy My Blog My AC
My Deviant Art
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2002, 09:37 PM
North Central Texas

Hails from United States
How bout....one 2oz tube of Cobalt blue oil paint can cost up to $25.00. I am not going to pay that for one tube of paint at this point in my art endeavors. I wanted to do an oil painting that called for Indian Blue. I could not find that color around here so I hunted on the Internet. They wanted 10.00 for a 2oz tube. One these days when I am more accomplished I might pay that much. <P>

Also the oil paint gets all over me and it's not washable. It takes forever to dry so you can't varnish your canvas for months. I like to see the end product sooner than that.

Acrylics are hard to blend UNLESS you use the medium. I was having fits trying to blend and was having serious second thougths about acrylics until the other day when I bought a bottle of gloss medium. Oh my gosh it makes all the difference! You just HAVE to use the medium or you have more headaches than necessary.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2002, 09:54 PM
A Local Legend
Somewhere out there... Auckland, NZ.

Hails from New Zealand
Why all the versus oil/acrylic-acrylic /oil thing at the moment? I'm assuming it's because some people aren't sure which to try??? To me though it seems a bit like- well what's better-piano or violin? fountain pens or ballpoint ? etc, etc.

Trish
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2002, 10:59 PM
Washington, DC

Hails from United States
I was at a place called "The Art Store" and they sold their own brand of oil paints for $2.50 a tube. You don't have to buy $20 tubes of paint to do oil painting. You don't need to use rare and expensive colors. The expensive colors are just part of the mystique.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2002, 10:36 AM
Virgin Islands

Hails from US Virgin Islands
Hello Everyone,

I love the wonderful look of oils but for most of my adult life I have lived in small spaces (sailboats, deserted island cottage),with tropical environments that don't allow for the space or time it takes oils to dry.
After a few days any oil I did would look like a bug collage.

I have noticed that artist who use oil as a medium are considered higher on the food chain then acrylic artists, regardless of the skill or creativity of the artist.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2002, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Denver, Co

Hails from United States
I paint in both. Depending on my needs is how I purchase my paints. Sometimes, that need is based on money, when that happens I choose acrylics. Othertimes, I am looking for a particular effect that the medium might provide, such as the deep glazing of oils or the fastness of acrylics. In the rainy season an oil painting might take longer to dry, whereas an acrylic is more immediate. All in all, an individual artist needs to consider their needs such as, financial, creative, and environmental.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2002, 03:20 PM
California

Hails from United States
interesting

The poll in oils asking if they had tried acrylics was all but one yes... fewer acrylic artists seem to try oils... And from the post it seems more because of monetary consernes then anything else.

I want some of those 2.50 oils, i can't find any around here....

My Etsy My Blog My AC
My Deviant Art
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2002, 09:57 PM
A Local Legend
Indian Land , SC. Suburb of Charlotte,NC

Hails from United States
This is not really about the prices , some acrylics , 2 oz cost $10 -$12 and ,a real good master's acrylics painted the oil way will look like oil painting:take Isilier's
landscapes for example., the galleries always put his acrylic works together with the oil works .

I personally choose acrylics because I am allergic to the turpentoid. And I know it is true to a lot of artists.

I heard from the oil painters that it is too hectic for them to work with acrylics because they have to work really fast(drying) and they are used to a different pace.

Every medium deserves a special attention and time to learn and every medium is wonderful in it's way.

I am trying the watercolors now and it is giving me such a hard time after acrylics But I love them and I will try and try again...

I always remind myself my late father saying that for a bad dancer the floor is always crooked.

So I am trying to be a good one...

Ta-ta,

Julia
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2002, 11:53 PM
A WC! Legend
Tiger, GA

Hails from United States
I began painting in oils because that's what the instructor said to use! I painted with them and had terrible headaches from the fumes for almost 7 years....then I heard of the water based acrylics. Since I had no art classes...I just went out and bought some acrylics and used them in the same way I'd painted with the oils. Thinned washes to begin with, building up to impasto paint. Now when I look back at some of my beginner oils and acrylics..I have no idea which is which! They look just alike.

I found that I liked working fast with the acrylics and loved their versatility (I do a lot of paper collage with my paintings, too). They are great for plein air (which I also love to do).

Now none of that means I think one medium is better than the other! I love oils for many of its characteristics also and still paint with it on occasion. I think the artist should use the medium they find best suits their painting needs.
carly
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2002, 10:58 AM
Endwell, New York

Hails from United States
For me, it's pretty much the same as what others have said. When I first started deciding on paints it was cost that was one of the main concerns. I started with simple Apple Barrell paints at $.45 a bottle and liked them. Ended up liking how quick it dries too, for the most part. Sometimes I need to slow it down some. I seem to do better with faster drying paints.

These days I worry about the fumes around not just me, but my children. Now that it's cold out I will be waiting until the warmer months to try oils again where I can either do it outside, or in the basement (too cold down there during the winter). Even with proper ventilation I get headaches.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2002, 10:59 AM
A WC! Legend
Kansas City, Missori

Hails from United States
Greetings:

My preference for acrylics has nothing to do with money. Whether you paint in oils or acrylics, by the time you add up the cost of good materials, maintaining an inventory of related equipment--and the related fees, costs, and expenses (camera, filing system, easels, sinks, brushes, mediums and solvents, books, classes, promotion, travel, show entry fees, framing, matting, mailings, professional associations, etc.) the cost of a tube of paint hardly seems significant.

I paint in acrylics because there is no such thing as 'airbrush-ready' oil paints.

Yes, there are airbrush artists who paint using oils in their airbrushes. I've never seen their work 'in person', and I'd like to, because I suspect that it would be difficult to tell the difference between oil paints and acrylic paints, when applied with airbrush.

(Although the oil paints would very likely be more opaque even than airbrush-ready acrylic paints are--which would be a disadvantage, IMO.)

Keith.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2002, 02:26 PM
Charleston, SC

Hails from United States
Why I use Acrylics

I paint in the dinning room of my 2 bedroom apartment. So:
1) I don't like the idea of how long oil paints are "wet."
2) I don't like the idea of "fumes." -- And since I am Asthmatic, I shouldn't be taking any chances.

As far as expense goes, I'm trying to buy fewer colors and better quality as I go along. (For the most part I'm switching myself over from Liquitex BASICS to Golden.

Maybe some day, when I have a well ventilated "studio" of my own, I will try oils, but until then, I am enjoying exploring Acrylics.

'Becca (Wally's Mom)
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2002, 04:21 PM
California

Hails from United States
CARLY

You don;t have any acrylics on your site... But your watercolors are very good.... I just wanted to see an example. Do you have any posted?

My Etsy My Blog My AC
My Deviant Art
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2002, 11:06 PM
Washington, DC

Hails from United States
Those who don't like the fumes of oil paint might try the new water soluble oil paints. They aren't exactly the same as regular oil paints, but nevertheless they are vastly different from acrylics.

There are several threads in the oil painting forum about them. The Grumbacher Max thread is the most recent.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2002, 04:15 PM
Central California

Hails from United States
I don't see an oil vs. acrylic problem, having used both. I happen to be a bit allergic to both mineral spirits and terpentine. It was a logical step to combine the watercolor work I do with other water media. Acryics do everything oil does for me, except cause breathing problems. It is, I believe, a matter of what suits you and your style.
David

http://d_sweet.tripod.com/davidspaintings/

Last edited by D_Sweet : 01-15-2002 at 04:17 PM.