WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2005, 05:47 PM
North East England.

Hails from England
Re: AUGUST CLASSROOM: The Brilliance of Acrylic Inks.

Hehehe Kory - you really would love this masquepen - I thought I'd told you about it ages ago - must have been someone else!!!!! (the memory y'know!).
I'll see what I can find out about it for you

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2005, 07:09 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Northumberland, England

Hails from England

ROFLOL Lorna and Diahn and well spotted Kori! Told you it was back to the drawing board especially when it doesn't look like a hibiscus! Well you all did say it was verging on the abstract!

I forgot to say that it was 11" x 15" on some generic watercolour paper.
I had to paint in the whites as I was too late in seeing Maureen's top tip!

It looks better on the monitor and in real life to me it seems like a splodge. My next experiment will be something more structured - I would love to paint loose and free like the beautiful crocuses above! I simply love that painting. But then I think I have already told you that.

I shall have to find the booklet that came with the inks as I remember there was an email addy for info on the products.
Maureen I just took a gamble on ordering the set and hoped that it would include their basic colour pallette which it did thankfully. They came in a smashing package so it would make a great gift for anyone stuck for ideas and for under £2 a bottle I think they are a steal. If anyone is wanting to try them I suggest that you snap them up at this price.
Jacksons also sell the other makes of inks too - the trouble is a lot of their products listed don't have info along side them so if you don't know the product it is a gamble. I think it's because their product range is huge so it takes time. Every time I go back to look at it there seems to be more info and more products so keep checking back.

I was desperate to get back to this thread but have been unable to load it until now. I think it is our server or a conflict somewhere but I shall have to be patient until DH susses it out.

I am going to have to do my first ironing since my op tomorrow YUCK before I even think about playing some more.

Keep the demos coming Maureen they're very inspiring. Hey you could do us videos and then we could have you in our own homes.
"So much to paint and so little time..."
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2005, 03:28 AM
Lord of the Arts
Guernsey, Channel Islands UK

Hails from Guernsey

Hi Maureen and others!
I've only just discovered this classroom..... where have I been???? Huh!!! It's brilliant!!! I've long admired your use of those inks and have got frustrated with them myself, but you have inspired me to give them a go again. So when I'm back home from holiday, I'll get them out......
Some lovely work here, and I also love that blue cow and the roosters a nd everything. And Christine your flower is gorgeous!!! And yours Lorna (of course...;-)
Brilliant work! Thank you everyone and thank you Maureen!
Marie-Dom

Fleur
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2005, 03:29 AM
A WC! Legend
Burns Lake, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

Hehehe well caught Kori! I did read that it was a hibiscus but thought Christine changed her mind and did a poppy...sorry Christine...it does look like a poppy since you can't see the length of the stamen (?) from that angle.

Maureen those flowers are to die for!! Just gorgeous!! I never heard of a masquepen...do tell!! I tried mask on my rose but didn't really like the hard edges it left. It wasn't quite the same as when you do it on w/c because the inks don't move once they are dry. I didn't get the effect I was going for.

The inks I ordered are FW acrylic inks... no idea what the FW stands for but you can see them on the Blick site.

With the salt...as with w/c I waited until the paper had just lost it's sheen from the water and then liberally applied the salt and you have to wait until it is dry before trying to dust it off. I think if you put it on too early it just dissolves in the water... too late and it does nothing much. I've used (with w/c) both table and pickling salt(much coarser) with good results.

Lorna Hannett.com
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2005, 08:34 AM
Northumberland, England

Hails from England

Thanks Marie-dom and ROFLOL Lorna! You stubborn lady not shifting on the poppy front eh?!

I have bought some sea salt rock crystals so can't wait to try them they are quitel large pieces for salt so I think they should work well = it is the sort you would put in a grinder. Here's hoping.
I was musing over whether to do the tree stump from the WDE last weekend in inks but probably couldn't use the salt in that situation.

Decided not to do the ironing as it far too hot and have been feeling rough this morning - possibly coz I heard the results were out but you have to collect them so I think I will wait for the postie to come in the morning. That way I still have hope.
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2005, 09:14 AM
Enthusiast
Knoxville, TN

Hails from United States

Poppy - Hibiscus - I read - I forget... In any case - I thought it looked great...that's the important thing!!

Maureen - those crocuses (crocii???) are lovely - mine looked flat and uninteresting after I muddled up the background. I'm sure that's what I intended for mine to look like!! In any case - it was a learning experience, and that's why we are here, no?

I am working on a water lily in inks right now - I'll post as soon as I'm finished...could have used that masquepen thing in it - I'm having to go back and try to correct some edges. I used the cling film technique on the watery background and it smeared a bit into my flower. sigh. we'll just chalk that up to learning as well . I'll try and save it and post tomorrow, I hope!

Thanks for all the lessons - they have been wonderfully taught and completely inspiring!!
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2005, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Great thread, all the attempts are fabulous - will order a set of the magic colour.
Christine - I haven't been to Wards for ages because of lack of transport and I wasn't impressed by their selection of art materials last time I was there. I tend to get a lot of items mail order, my only gripe with mail order is that some of the mail order stores are now using postal / carrier services that only deliver Monday to Friday - no good if you work weekdays and can't have packages left with the neighbours - and if you try to wait in for the day they can't give you an approx. delivery time.
Had this problem with Amazon UK and Great Art and now I see that Jacksons is doing the same thing - because I don't have transport it takes a whole morning to travel (and £5) to the depot to pick them up!
Anyway, will keep popping back here to see what's been added. Keep up the good work everyone!
Sharon
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2005, 03:53 PM
Enthusiast
Knoxville, TN

Hails from United States

Here is my homework for the week! It is taken from a ref photo from the RIL - sorry I don't remember whose photo it was! 9x12 rough WC paper (probably 8x11 finished). I'm mostly pleased with it - I had to use the white ink to even out some areas where my cling film spread some ink in some places that I didn't want it to go, and let's just ignore that weird blotch on the left, okay?

The water is much more interesting IRL - deep purples, blues and greens with a little black added for depth. Unfortunately, my camera shows it too dark - but I used the cling film here for a watery background, and it actually came out quite nicely. The lily leaf is textured with salt - a much better outome than on the cow, I think.

I went back at the end and added some deeper "rim" shadows on the petals with my tech pen loaded with the ink, then diluted with a brush. I think it gives it a graphic quality, and am rather pleased with the result.

There are some definite problems in it, but there's no going back, is there? Overall, I'm happy with it. MUCH better than my attempt at the crocus photo!!

#69   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2005, 05:06 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Sharon (Catkin) - here's the link to Ken Bromley -

www.artsupplies.co.uk/

I ordered an easel from them a couple of weeks ago (Sunday night) and it arrived Tuesday morning - don't know about w/end delivery though.
Unfortunately, they only have the Daler Rowney FW inks, which are a good bit more expensive than the MagicColor.

Thanks, everyone, for your responses to the crocuses/crocii (I checked in the OED, Diahn - DH being a Classicist would want the latter word - but the plural is either/or, so we're OK on thast score!!!!!! )

Marie-Dom - so glad you've got here - expect to see some bits and pieces soon!

Christine - follow Lorna's instructions, re: the salt, but also try table salt with the sea salt for a variety of texture.

That waterlily does have a lovely graphic feel to it Diahn - I like the thrust of the flower from the centre of the paper and the delicacy of the colours against the dark water - really nice.

Masquepen - you'll see it on the site link above - so you'll know what you're looking for!!!!!!

It wasn't under accesories, so I just put a search for it in the little box and up it popped - magic! It costs £4.49 I think, (cheaper than Wards my English friends!). I think that's about $8 US - sorry I don't know what the Canadian exchange is!

It's great to see your work, rather than my own, so please keep 'em coming.

It's been another busy day for me and still no painting - think I'll stop going to bed!

Forgot to mention Diahn, the inks got onto my crocus petals too - for the same reason it happened to you! Some of it I used and quite liked, but some I covered with the white, just slightly coloured to fit in .......... so the opaque white does definitely come in handy

Here's a larger version of the hibiscus in my signatue - it's about 5.5 x 7.5 ins.

Your task, should you choose to accept it, is to simply work out how it was done - and the order!!!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**

Last edited by Charlie's Mum : 08-18-2005 at 05:11 PM.
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2005, 03:46 AM
Veteran Member
USA

Hails from United States

Hi Maureen...still taking notes here. Been popping in and out to see all the wonderful work! WOW! GOOD STUFF GOING ON IN HERE! I wasn't prepared for a quiz though! I better go REVIEW THOSE NOTES!
Thanks for sharing this wealth of knowledge-absolutely beautiful work!!
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2005, 04:19 AM
Northumberland, England

Hails from England

Hi Sharon, glad to hear you are going to give this medium a try - it is great - I wish I could easily get my hands on some Yupo. Lol!

I was dissapointed in Wards stock too when I went. I ended up getting the same old patter about only stocking things at Christmas - Why???? Can't understand that one do people only buy art things at Christmas? Also what is the point in having a retail outlet that only buys stock in at Christmas? They obviously sell them so it is like having the tin of Corned Beef in your pantry isn't it? You use it so next time you are shopping you replace it - simple! Then when a customer comes in you can supply them and make a sale! It isn't rocket science!

Maureen - I am not even going to attempt and work out the order naughty lady giving us homework!
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2005, 07:21 AM
Enthusiast
Knoxville, TN

Hails from United States

Okay - I'll give it at least a partial go...

1. dropped blue and pink(?) into wet background, but left areas of white for hibiscus and forward leaves. I don't see any obvious cling-film marks.

2. pulled out dark shapes in background with blue.

3. added the lighter yellow over the dark background.

4. ummm...everything else...

I hope there are bonus points for trying!!
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2005, 11:25 AM
A Local Legend
Willow Grove, Matthews, NC

Hails from United States

maureen KNOWS i am addicted to mask..... cked out the Bromley site for the masquepen...wow!!! it's gorjus!! i must have one!! go look! different nibs and a cleaner, in the package!! i'll find it here tho, somewhere......

Di... you can put a lighter yellow OVER the dark background???? these inks are a whole different bag!!! wow....

i'm off to WDE.... ck in with you guys later.................. yr fan, Kory (since i havent gotten the inks yet, i'm your cheering section: Go TEAM, GO!!!)
"An artist can look at a pretty girl and see the old woman she will become. A better artist can look at an old woman and see the pretty girl she used to be. A great artist can look at an old woman, portray her exactly as she is... and force the viewer to see the pretty girl she used to be..." R. Heinlein via Jubal Harshaw re LaBelle Heaulmiere by Rodin
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2005, 11:29 AM
A Local Legend
Wonderful Wolves. UK

Hails from Scotland

Maureen, what a gorgeous hibiscus!! I feel I could touch it.
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2005, 11:32 AM
A Local Legend
Wonderful Wolves. UK

Hails from Scotland

PS. I haven't got the hang of the inks yet!!