Now isn't this EXCITING?
I'm so glad more are being turned on to these inks - and I love the experimenting you're doing.
Christine - Holey-Moley girl ....... first time and look what you produce!
How big is it? ...... and yes, it will take a long time to dry when you use OODLES of water, especially with the clingfilm!
- can't see many of the characteristic clingfilm shapes though, did you not let it dry thoroughly?
You'll have discovered already that there's no lifting out allowed!!!!!! No-can-do!
I do like the vitality of the whole piece though, quite abstract and lots of movement.
BTW - my inks don't say who makes them! Did you know what the colours were in the set? I've just checked their site but it wouldn't list the colours. However, that doesn't matter - can always add as necessary.
Glad you like them!
Lorna - what kind have you ordered? I think they're all inter-mixable anyway - I have some W&N on my next list so I can increase my colour range.
Diahn - have you done any more?
Here's my next pic for your perusal!
This is 12x16ins on Hahnemuhle matt w/c paper – my last piece
I loved the crisp shapes of the flowers and wanted to keep that sharpness.
I first drew the comp out very lightly with pencil, and then drew carefully around the shapes using my masquepen – which gives a fine edge of masking fluid. I really am not a lover of masking fluid, but this pen allows me to protect an edge and can be removed as soon as the ink is dry.
I then carefully wetted the background, managing to do this in sections because of the comp. Into this I dropped intense colour because I wanted really strong tones in the background, then I pulled the colour out with a piece of card and an orange stick. This scratched the surface in places.
I did have one or two problems with the background – maybe I had a fingerprint on the paper, and/or dropped clear water onto the surface – of course, I didn’t notice the marks until it had dried! A little camouflage was needed.
Some of the ink was so strong that it resisted some further layers – something to note!
I also used some salt in areas to give a little texture – this can be elaborated in another work I think …….. I liked the more noticeable texture that Lorna got in her rose.
The next stage was to work on the flowers, building layers to create tones.
The difficulty with white flowers is keeping the idea of white while using other colours to give form. I used palest washes of blue and violet, adding the veins with violet, wasn’t satisfied, and so added washes of yellow in places.
I completed the painting by adding the strong process yellow for the stamens with a little orange mixed in for strength. Some of the edges needed tidying up, so just added to the background colours.
I then scanned the painting in two halves and stitched it together, so if you see a slight line – the join – sorry! (Come to think of it, I scanned and stitched at each stage!!!)
Please keep your paintings coming because I need time to do more myself!
Having missed the last two WDEs, and not having painted for two weeks, I'm rusty!
Ken Bromley's site is good for UK artists - I'll look it up and give the link later.