WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2005, 05:46 AM
A WC! Legend
Burns Lake, British Columbia

Hails from Canada
Re: AUGUST CLASSROOM: The Brilliance of Acrylic Inks.

Hi Maureen....great information so far.

I love the brilliance of the inks and the results you get with them. I have some waterproof ink by Claybord that I have used on scratchboard that I am going to give a try. The colors are definitely brilliant and can be combined to make other colors as well.

Soon as I get something done I'll post!

Lorna Hannett.com
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2005, 07:34 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Northumberland, England

Hails from England

Hi Maureen, finally made it back over here lol.
It is fantastic to see your works all here in one glorious array of colour and design. I wish the colours in my world were the same as yours.

I have read everyones posts and delighted in the brilliant attempts so far. Catkin you may be interested that Wards next to the Federation Brewery sell the Daler Rowney inks but I was put off by the price.
I didn't realise it at the time but I have ordered the "Magic" inks from www.jacksonsart.co.uk - I didn't realise that these were the same as the ones Maureen uses.
It is a set of 8 and it is only just over £15 for the set - I thought they must be of lesser quality so I was so happy to see that they are the same. I like Jacksons especially now they have updated their website, you can get freebies from the links on the home page at the same time. I have also ordered an Art Spectrum pastel starter kit complete with pastels and 16 sheets of paper for only £9.99. The inks have worked out cheaper than even the member prices of SAA so shop around. Jacksons will ship to other countries so it may be worth e-mailing them and get a price for shipping.
After reading this thread I can't wait to get them but I do have a question - I can't get my head around how you get the light areas, its as if you have used a lift off technique to sort of etch the negative outlines. Have you? Or is it merely diluting the colour in those areas and hoping for the best?
I ordered my inks on the standard delivery which is free so I think they reckon on 3/4 days, that will take it to either Tuesday or Wednesday but I shall try and join in as soon as I can.
Maureen you can tell DH it is all your fault when the bank statement arrives on the doormat lol. Just kidding.
"So much to paint and so little time..."
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2005, 08:25 PM
Horses make me happy

Hails from Australia

I confess that I am impressed by the result of the inks and paints. I cannot find them at local art stores. I was looking at Dick Blick's acrylic inks but they are hideously expensive.
My websites: Discoveries With Colour Adventures in Photography
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2005, 08:58 PM
Rust Belt

Hails from United Nations

Carol,

Matisse makes some acrylic inks in Australia. I've seen some work by one of the WC members (quirky) and they are stunning.

Like Maureen's lovely inks, these are also not available in the States (but in Canada).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Carol
I confess that I am impressed by the result of the inks and paints. I cannot find them at local art stores. I was looking at Dick Blick's acrylic inks but they are hideously expensive.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2005, 04:42 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

Hi

Well, I discovered that the claybord inks are brilliant... on claybord... not so much on w/c paper. I also discovered they aren't acrylic (I don't think)...just ink. But I thought what the heck I thought I'd post my piece even though technically it's not acrylic, but I did try your method, Maureen and painted a rose...at least it gave me some idea of how inks work. The result...it's rather dull and flat...not luminous colors like yours. I also used a bit of salt (reg. table kind)...I figured I might as well...it couldn't get any worse.lol

These inks do layer well with drying inbetween and mixed well together to produce other colors...just a matter of playing around with different combos. Kinda of like mixing colors for cake icing...one drop of this and 2 drops of that = a certain color. Do you do that with yours, Maureen??? Or just use the colors pure with varying amounts of water to dilute and then layer them to make a different color??

One thing...I used a small metal w/c palette and when I was done I left it sitting in a sink with a cleaning solution (Vim Oxy gel) for a bit and then used a nail brush and all the ink came off. I'm wondering if it would work to use say, a muffin tin with the acrylic ink...maybe it would come off??? I know that regular acrylics do stain plastic holders but come off of glass and metal because it (acrylic paint) is a form of plastic. (Maybe since my palette came clean the ink is acrylic afterall...hmmmm???? I wonder???)

I did this in a w/c sampler book from Strathmore...the paper is the 500 series Imperial Watercolor, cold press 140lb.....the sheets are 6 X 9 but I taped the page to help keep it from buckling so the image size is approx 4 X 7... it was nice paper to work on and dried fairly flat.

BTW...for a change, this looks much nicer onscreen than it does in real life (trust me ), judging from what I see in the preview.

Lorna Hannett.com
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2005, 05:04 PM
A Local Legend
Willow Grove, Matthews, NC

Hails from United States

o, gasp, choke...... need a MAJOR POST::::: DO NOT OPEN ANYTHING OF LORNA'S AS YOU TAKE A BITE OF A SANDWICH!!!.... It is, of course, inCREDible... yah, right, it doesnt look good to you .... would look great to me.... here's my addres......

do you think the oxy cleaner you soaked the tin in had anything to do with it coming off??? i find soaking really helps in most things....

i'm still sputtering and catching my breath... Maureeen's gonna luv this.... watching this -post as a lurker... havent tried any yet.... this is just gorjus, hon!!!

ADDED: i checked out goldie's post and her link to Jacksons arts.... the magic inks set of 8 comes to $28.00 US.... i left it at that and didnt ck shipping.... good to know.... and YES, looks like a nice place to do business!!
"An artist can look at a pretty girl and see the old woman she will become. A better artist can look at an old woman and see the pretty girl she used to be. A great artist can look at an old woman, portray her exactly as she is... and force the viewer to see the pretty girl she used to be..." R. Heinlein via Jubal Harshaw re LaBelle Heaulmiere by Rodin

Last edited by kordelia : 08-15-2005 at 05:20 PM.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2005, 05:45 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

HI Everyone - sorry not to have much time at the mo - but will be back tomorrow night (my time) and try to answer questions etc and post anothe wip (I hope)
Kory's right Lorna, the rose looks stunning and if that's the salt effect in the purple then it worked well I think!

Quickie - leave white areas whiet Christine, unless it's just to touch up edges with the white ink. Mostly, I work into a damp or wet ground and leave areas of white where nec.

Lorna - I don't often mix a colour in the palette - mostly in wet on the paper or dry layers.

The 'dirty' palette doesn't bother me because being non-soluble colour once dry, it doesn't affect ink put in there - tho' I try to keep certain colours to the same wells.

I'll be back tomorrow

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2005, 06:50 PM
Northumberland, England

Hails from England

Yippeee!!!! My delivery came from Jacksons today - it was delivered free!!! Mind you I did clock up £40 lol but still often you have to spend over £50 to get free p&p.
Thanks Kori for working out the dollars - is that a good price then? I know compared to Wards in Gateshead over here it is. I was worried that they would be odd colours but oooh they have the lovely shades Maureen has been using including the white. I was surprised to see they don't have a darker blue but that can be rectified.
Maureen - I hadn't seen your post lol before I rushed to do a test piece so I shall bear that in mind re: leaving the white areas white. But I did get the cling film straight out.
I soaked my watercolour paper first as per instruction and then rewetted it oodles. I tried to do one of the macro hibiscus flowers here in the ref library as there is very little drawing or structure - I thought it would be a good place to start. I don't know whether perhaps I am too impatient or the weather has something to do with it but it seems to be taking ages to dry. I eased up the cling film and the colour was just merging back again so I shall have to try and wait it out so no photo
Lorna - you could make a success out of painting with mud = you do realise that don't you? Lol your rose is lovely, maybe it is just different from your usual structured work?
Hopefully I shall have a little time for painting and things tomorrow - until then
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2005, 07:08 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

Hi all,

I had great fun with the Dick Blick catalogue last night and sent in an order including acrylic inks...I know theirs is a bit pricy but I had a $100 coupon that I won thru North Light's last cover competition, so actually it was free! Hopefully the stuff will be here by the end of next week and I can join in properly.

Christine...looking forward to seeing what you did!

Thanks Christine, Maureen and Kori for the really kind things you said about my piece. Sincerely...if you could see it in person...it's really quite dull and flat. I do like how the background turned out...just wish the rose had been more vibrant. I can't wait to get my new inks and try again.

Lorna Hannett.com
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2005, 11:22 AM
Northumberland, England

Hails from England

Okay you asked Lorna - my apologies but this is sooooo bad lol.
but what the heck I was just playing and experimenting I must try and do something structured with them as they are such a lovely medium. Oh by the way if it helps it says that Royal Sovereign make them.

Please do not adjust your monitors lol and sorry Maureen - I guess this how not to use inks!
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2005, 01:22 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

Christine...that was brilliant using a closecrop for your first one...wish I'd thought of that!! This isn't near as bad as you think...it has an abstract quality that I rather like, yet you still know exactly what it is...a poppy. How did you save all those whites...or did you paint them??

I think you did a terrific job for the first one...as with mine, the rest will come with practice!

Lorna Hannett.com
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2005, 02:05 PM
Enthusiast
Knoxville, TN

Hails from United States

Christine - I agree with Lorna - I think this is lovely. Very loose and abstract, but still recognizable as a poppy. I love the combination of colors - especially in the blue-violet and yellow areas. Great work!
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2005, 03:02 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

i'm laughing my fool head off here, instead of painting like i'm supposed to:

[i]Lorna - you could make a success out of painting with mud = you do realise that don't you? LolI] Goldie to Lorna....

Lorna back to Goldie: it's recognizable as it is... a poppy..... (she just said it's a hibiscus pic from the RefLib....)

i think we all 'love' eachother and try to encourage eachother so much that we jump in with all the plaudits before we read.... ALTHO we are talking major talents here..... Lorna's rose is to die for, despite her murmurings (plus personally i would kill for salt to work like that for me); Goldie's hib/poppy is stunning as we knew it would be........... FIRST TIME??? Glory, Goldie!!! Imagine what the SECOND one will look like!!!!!

looking forward to WHATever you guys post.......c'mon, Maureen, more, more....... w/'luv', Kory
"An artist can look at a pretty girl and see the old woman she will become. A better artist can look at an old woman and see the pretty girl she used to be. A great artist can look at an old woman, portray her exactly as she is... and force the viewer to see the pretty girl she used to be..." R. Heinlein via Jubal Harshaw re LaBelle Heaulmiere by Rodin
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2005, 04:01 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Now isn't this EXCITING?

I'm so glad more are being turned on to these inks - and I love the experimenting you're doing.

Christine - Holey-Moley girl ....... first time and look what you produce!
How big is it? ...... and yes, it will take a long time to dry when you use OODLES of water, especially with the clingfilm! - can't see many of the characteristic clingfilm shapes though, did you not let it dry thoroughly?

You'll have discovered already that there's no lifting out allowed!!!!!! No-can-do!

I do like the vitality of the whole piece though, quite abstract and lots of movement.

BTW - my inks don't say who makes them! Did you know what the colours were in the set? I've just checked their site but it wouldn't list the colours. However, that doesn't matter - can always add as necessary.
Glad you like them!

Lorna - what kind have you ordered? I think they're all inter-mixable anyway - I have some W&N on my next list so I can increase my colour range.

Diahn - have you done any more?

Here's my next pic for your perusal!

White Crocuses.

This is 12x16ins on Hahnemuhle matt w/c paper – my last piece .

I loved the crisp shapes of the flowers and wanted to keep that sharpness.

I first drew the comp out very lightly with pencil, and then drew carefully around the shapes using my masquepen – which gives a fine edge of masking fluid. I really am not a lover of masking fluid, but this pen allows me to protect an edge and can be removed as soon as the ink is dry.

I then carefully wetted the background, managing to do this in sections because of the comp. Into this I dropped intense colour because I wanted really strong tones in the background, then I pulled the colour out with a piece of card and an orange stick. This scratched the surface in places.
I did have one or two problems with the background – maybe I had a fingerprint on the paper, and/or dropped clear water onto the surface – of course, I didn’t notice the marks until it had dried! A little camouflage was needed.
Some of the ink was so strong that it resisted some further layers – something to note!

I also used some salt in areas to give a little texture – this can be elaborated in another work I think …….. I liked the more noticeable texture that Lorna got in her rose.

The next stage was to work on the flowers, building layers to create tones.
The difficulty with white flowers is keeping the idea of white while using other colours to give form. I used palest washes of blue and violet, adding the veins with violet, wasn’t satisfied, and so added washes of yellow in places.

I completed the painting by adding the strong process yellow for the stamens with a little orange mixed in for strength. Some of the edges needed tidying up, so just added to the background colours.

I then scanned the painting in two halves and stitched it together, so if you see a slight line – the join – sorry! (Come to think of it, I scanned and stitched at each stage!!!)

Please keep your paintings coming because I need time to do more myself!
Having missed the last two WDEs, and not having painted for two weeks, I'm rusty!

Ken Bromley's site is good for UK artists - I'll look it up and give the link later.

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2005, 05:12 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

maureen.................... masquepen????????????? where did you get that????????..................... you KNOW i love mask!!!!...... and what a cool idea.... i did this, but like you say, the shadows on the white wash out so much of the white.... your darks really hold it together...... welcome home, girl!!!!