WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2005, 06:42 AM
Adopted city Bangkok,Thailand

Re: AUGUST CLASSROOM: The Brilliance of Acrylic Inks.

Thank you 10 times, will be a diligent pupil but no home work to submit because been to the store they don't have them yet.

To do in what you love is freedom and to love in what you do is happiness......writer unknown
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2005, 07:26 AM
A Local Legend
UK

Hails from England

Quote:
Anita, I sent you a pm about Escoda paintbrushes that's obviously got lost so I wonder if you can remember the website you bought yours from??? They sounded a real bargain. Good to see you back!

Margaret

Thanx Margaret! I got them on eBay.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2005, 08:21 AM
A Local Legend
Vienna, Austria

Hails from England

Maureen this is going to be a super classroom. I wont be able to do any for a couple of weeks as I am in the US. I love the clarity of inks and used them for my final exhibition work for my degree. Will be watching until I can get back home.
www.anitamurphyart.com
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2005, 10:50 AM
Enthusiast
Knoxville, TN

Hails from United States

Okay, Maureen - I have tried it! I decided to drop by the local art store to see what they had, and they did have a small sampler, so I picked it up. Here are my first attempts:

1. The crocuses from the past weekend's WDE...Very monochromatic with the exception of the stamen, but a good learning session - I'm not completely happy with them, but at least I got my feet wet...

2. I decided to redo my rooster from last month's classroom. I tried the cling wrap technique on the background, and I am much happier with this one than the crocuses.

Okay, professor - how'd I do??
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2005, 05:59 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

I cannot believe this - I spent almost an hour updating this thread earlier this evening and the post is lost - **%[email protected]** - I'm so mad!

Diahn - as I said earlier - this is brilliant work - thank you so much for a) getting the inks and b) getting work on site already

I'll try to get back tomorrow with all the stuff that should be here now -

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2005, 06:28 PM
Enthusiast
Knoxville, TN

Hails from United States

Maureen - what a tragedy! Oooohhh - I would be so . Thanks for the comments - and I look forward to what tomorrow will bring!!
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2005, 06:44 PM
A Local Legend
UK

Hails from England

Maureen, it's a good tip to save all your post in WORDPAD or COPY it before clicking SEND, that way if it gets lost in space you have a copy to paste back in with ease.
I speak from experience and have every sympathy.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2005, 08:13 PM
Hampshire UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Hi Maureen what a great thread. I have used the inks i use fw inks they are very nice to use i actually did a cat painting with them which i will post, but i think they look much better with the flowers etc and all the beautiful colours that they make,can't wait to see more,
Della.
Attached Images

www.petportraitsbydella.co.uk

Last edited by daftun : 08-03-2005 at 08:16 PM.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2005, 06:25 AM
A Local Legend
Wonderful Wolves. UK

Hails from Scotland

Looks interesting. I love the rooster, azeala and cat images.

I may join in later. I don't have acrylic inks as yet but I have a few bottles of calligraphy ink which I might experiment with. And as someone above said: there is always the ink from pc cartridges to play with for the time being!!

I have been using pen and black ink recently (and brush and ink) so I feel just about ready to dive into colour ink.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2005, 07:59 AM
A Local Legend
Vienna, Austria

Hails from England

Diahn - I love the rooster!
www.anitamurphyart.com
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2005, 03:40 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Hi everyone - couldn't get onto the Net this morning, so this is the first chance I've had to catch up after last night's fiasco

Anita - I have most of the thread in Word, but last night I wanted to upload extra, so it was all 'off the cuff' - that'll teach me.

Hi Zoe - please add anything you can - you know it'll be welcome.

Wayne, I know exactly what you mean about 'yet more mediums' - some of us don't have iron wills But hang around anyway.

Hi Dewi - glad you're here.... you can always keep this bookmarked for when the inks do land on your doorstep

Margaret - welcome, and try inks when you can

Anita - thanks for the link about the offer - same inks, just slightly different size bottles and selection of colours, but good bargain all the same.

Haven't tried these on portraits - not really a portrait person, but maybe I should try!!!!!

Hi Della - glad you can join us and please post any of your work in inks - I love the eyes in the cat - brilliant, and I'm sure we're all waiting for more.

June - hello again - I think you'd have a wow of a time with these - they'd suit much of your work and you could bring lots of creativity here, so I hope you get some soon

Diahn - I still love that rooster - and I'll post one of mine to keep it company!
I like the background too- did you enjoy using this method? What did you think of their use in the flowers? I know you'll have your hands full in the next few weeks - but at least with the inks, you can do a little at a time .... they're pretty lightfast so won't spoil by being left!!!!!!

COLOURFUL SEAWEED.

This next piece of work is from a WDE a couple of weeks ago; the reference is a photo by Valri Alexander - 'Seaweed'

This is on Bockingford 140lb, NOT, quite a textured paper, approx 11 x14 ins.
(I should have known better and stretched it first – I hoped it would be OK, but it buckled, so I did have to stretch it after all!)

The first image is after the first stage had dried.
I sprayed the surface and dropped in Mars red and Delta violet, tipped and tilted to make the colours run while trying to retain some light, almost untouched areas.
Then I put cling film over the entire surface, moved it to the kind of shapes I hoped would work for the subject – and waited.

(Upon drying, the buckling was still there, even though both sides of the paper had been soaked and taped, so I re-soaked completely, re-taped and dried it flat.)

You should be able to see how the film creases provide the light marks and the paint pools where there is contact..
It’s great fun to experiment with this – I’ve used it with watercolour to create woodland/leafy effects ……….. play around and see what happens

Sometimes I introduce paint/ink down the creases using a pipette.

Stage two is picking out shapes suggested by both dried marks and the reference; I used Process cyan and the violet for this.

It now definitely needed more colour!
This is where you can see the effect of using a ‘lighter’ colour, Process yellow, over the ‘darker’ colours of the blue, red (magenta colour) and violet. The yellow warmed some areas and cooled others ………. If mistakes are made, I live with them!
I’ve added shapes consistent with the subject but not necessarily with the ref. – this is there as an inspiration and a guide only.
Stages 2 and 3 are all brushwork

Stage 3:

I continued to develop some of the shapes and balance the tones by using more layers, allowing the existing shapes to ‘lead’ me.

There were interesting ‘string-like’ shapes in the reference which bound the other shapes together and originally I had wanted a ‘cloisonné’ effect and considered gold, but this painting just kept saying ‘RED’ to me!
I needed something stronger than the Mars red, so mixed Mars red with the scarlet – this actually gives a beautiful vibrant red, but on top of the other colours, it’s knocked back a little.

This is the finished result, scanned and ‘stitched’ because the photos were too pale. The colour here is fairly accurate to the original.

Here's the rooster to keep Diahn's company - I found the ref in the Image Library - what a resource! He was done for the Postcard Exchange Project and has flown to the Philippines, where I'm sure he has a good home
Lots of layers of pure colour in this. He was drawn with a sepia Pitt pen, first.

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**My SAA website**
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2005, 04:31 PM
Enthusiast
Knoxville, TN

Hails from United States

Diahn - I still love that rooster - and I'll post one of mine to keep it company!
I like the background too- did you enjoy using this method? What did you think of their use in the flowers? I know you'll have your hands full in the next few weeks - but at least with the inks, you can do a little at a time .... they're pretty lightfast so won't spoil by being left!!!!!!

Thanks, Maureen - it is still among my favorites too. I loved using the cling wrap for the background - I didn't manipulate it much, just let it go and do it's own thing, but I thought the outcome was great. I wasn't as thrilled with the flowers, but it was my fault, and not the inks. I was a little heavy-handed with them, I think - the background started out much more interesting and I ruined it . But - it is all part of the education!

I love the WIP of the seaweed. I thought the image in the WDE was tremendous, but it is so enlightening to see it as it evolved. Your description of how you manipulate the inks with the cling film was good to read, as well - I'll definitely be trying that technique again.

Thanks for all your hard (and repeated )work on this classroom. I may be busy right now, but I'll definitely be working more of these into my weeks!!

Oh - and I still LOVE your rooster - it's what set me over the edge wanting to try these inks!!
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2005, 06:01 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Johnson’s Blue Geraniums.

This is another painting done for the Postcard Ex. Project using a reference from a WDE in June by HRH Goldie.

It’s about5.5 x 7.5 ins, on Hahnemuhle watercolour paper, matt finish (which is a little smoother than NOT, but not as smooth as CP paper).

I lightly drew in the flower shapes with pencil then wet the background are and dropped in the colour, using the pipettes.

After this had dried, I started blocking in the flowers using Delta violet and Cobalt blue washes into a damp ground to allow bleeding. (File, B/G stage 3)

I continued blocking in the flowers and building the tones with layers, and also working in the background foliage to define general leafy shapes.

The final scan shows the added detail of the veins, stamens and darker tones in the background. The reds are a mix of Mars Red and Solar Scarlet, which together make a really vibrant colour.
The darks in the foliage are a mix of the blue, violet and red in varying degrees – I would find black too harsh and intense – but that’s just personal! Many people use black very effectively.

Again, the scan is much truer to the colour than the photos, which look a bit washed out.

New England Forest.

Another small format painting, again on the Hahnemuhle paper.
This is from my own reference from a holiday in Massachusetts, Vermont and New Hampshire a few years ago – I have done pastel and watercolour paintings from this holiday, but this is the first Inks one done last week especially for you. :wink:

For this painting I used both yellows, green mixes from yellow, cyan and gamma green and sponges.

The first image shows the ref and the wet paper with the first sponge work in yellow and green, with white spaces left for the lightest area of the painting – the stream. (There is repetition here in the sponge marks but because they will eventually be covered over in the main, that doesn’t matter.)

When that was dry – and flat – I drew the trees in using a Pitt pen in sepia and continued to build up the darker tones with brushwork and more sponging, added brushwork foliage and blocked in the tree trunks – trying to keep it loose!

I used Omega orange mixed with the Process yellow to keep a warm golden/flame for the brighter foliage and the browns for the trees are the same colours used throughout the painting in a variety of mixes – if it’s in the palette, it goes on the brush!
I tried not to get too detailed with the stream – for one thing, some of it is in the corner and I don’t want the eye to go there immediately!!!
The final bit was to add spattering to the top area to suggest the finer foliage further back. (The hands get very dirty doing this!)

This is the final painting and a detail of the tree trunk showing, I hope, the layers of splodges!

Anita/Present - sorry I missed you earlier (I did include you in the lost post last night!!!!!).If you're on holiday - enjoy it - but please put some work in here when you return home! Anything, new or old, will be very welcome

Hi again Diahn - so, the rooster called did he? I painted him twice actually - the other one has gone AWOL between here and Turkey! Please keep popping in.

NB. - I don't expect everyone to go out and buy these (or any other) inks ....... after all, I'm not on commission - hehehe, wish I was.

If you are able to, and do so, it would be absolutely great to see any of the work you produce - and please keep bringing the questions too.

Did I say I'll be away next week? ......... so, all of you, please help each other till I get back.
If I have time, I'll post more pics, but you may have to work out for yourself how they're done!

Would someone please try ink and salt?

BFN.

**My SAA website**
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2005, 10:36 PM
A Local Legend
Willow Grove, Matthews, NC

Hails from United States

"This is the final painting and a detail of the tree trunk showing, I hope, the layers of splodges!" i wish you wouldnt get so technical on us: now i have to look up "splodges"....................... o, maureen, you have have THE touch... whatever you turn to.... here, i'm reaching out my hand; touch me and make me magic too!!! are you saying you wont be here for Connie's WDE??? o no.............. she promised flowers!... hope you can pick them up for saving for another time..... .... if i can milk anything more out of those cartridge, could i count that for inks if i try something??? you have me fired up, but 2 stores i checked didnt know what i was talking about..... AND the sepia pen i bought went dry, like, overnight! these are wonderful... hope your trip is a pleasant one and that you come back with a hundred ideas for MORE....................... ...... your fan, Kory

PS... re yr comment on salt... i've tried it, but i cant even get it to work on regular wet w/c, so wasnt so surprised when nothing came of it.........sorry; i would have liked to have something to report and have you be proud of me!!
"An artist can look at a pretty girl and see the old woman she will become. A better artist can look at an old woman and see the pretty girl she used to be. A great artist can look at an old woman, portray her exactly as she is... and force the viewer to see the pretty girl she used to be..." R. Heinlein via Jubal Harshaw re LaBelle Heaulmiere by Rodin

Last edited by kordelia : 08-04-2005 at 10:40 PM.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2005, 04:07 AM
Veteran Member
USA

Hails from United States

Maureen, THANKS so much for sharing this info! It is a great read! I'm not prepared to try this today....but sounds FUN! (Should I let my son get out of the TERRIBLE 2's BEFORE I BEGIN!?!?!?...I just pictured him with INK all over EVERYTHING! ...probably a GOOD idea! ha). NOW...when are you going to do a class on HOW TO SEE ALL THE BEAUTIFUL COLORS THAT YOU SEE???? You have a great eye for color....and very talented! Thanks for sharing all this info on inks!!!