WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#181   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2005, 12:17 PM
A Local Legend
Wonderful Wolves. UK

Hails from Scotland
Re: AUGUST CLASSROOM: The Brilliance of Acrylic Inks.

I've been attempting to develop a style for illustrating children's stories with my FW inks. They seem suited because of the brilliance of the colour. here's what I have come up with so far. Several pictures for a story about puffins ( about 7-9 years old age level). I'll post 3 pix here.

I did pencil drawings first then ink line then the colour washes. I may try and develop a looser style but for illustration style what do you think??

mother goes searching for the father puffin after skua attack

girl rescues baby puffin

parent bird with a catch of eels in beak

Thanks

Last edited by artbyjune : 09-22-2005 at 12:21 PM.
  #182   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2005, 01:07 PM
Enthusiast
Knoxville, TN

Hails from United States

Wonderful, June! I think you are right! These have a very fanciful feel to them - just what a children's book needs!
  #183   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2005, 02:22 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

They're lovely illustrations June - but then I think your work is admirably suited to this form, so just what I'd expect!
I'd be interested to see a looser form too, because then you could compare and see which is better for this work ....... no pressure!!!!!!!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #184   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2005, 03:11 AM
A WC! Legend
Australia

Oh My!!!!!!!

This thread just blows me away..

I am in love. Gotta get me some of those inks..

I have seen them used once irl at a Demo at a local art store about 3 years ago. I thought they were beautiful, brilliant gorgeous colours..

I was so into learning watercolours them, and The woman giving the demo didn't say they were transparent..

I still am stuck on watercolours but also want to spread my wings..
  #185   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2005, 06:48 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

JJ, you really MUST get some inks too - if you like w/c you'll love these for the strength of colour.
I wish I'd seen a demo - I'm just still finding my way and I'm sure there's lots more still to find out.
I wish there were more hours in the day!!!!!!!
Not all the colours are transparent - I've added some to my collection which are opaque, but when watered down, don't seem to be a problem!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**My SAA website**
  #186   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2005, 07:33 AM
A WC! Legend
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Mum
I wish there were more hours in the day!!!!!!!
You and me both!!

The Lady I saw painting with them, had drawn out a huge hibiscus on a full sheet plus wc paper. She wet the area first, then dropped in the inks. Beautiful magenta and tourquoise..

She called the inks Watercolour Inks??

She used one of those Cosmotop Spin Quill brushes. Just awesome..

I must buy one of those brushes oneday.
  #187   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2005, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

I splashed out and bought the Magic color video and inks set from SAA - have already watched the video twice - it's really helped being able to see the process Jennie Tuffs uses for creating her pictures. My local art store has also just started stocking the inks - spent my spare cash there as they're also having a promotion on finity acrylics - all 60ml tubes are half price!
Was wondering, I remember a few poeple mentioning the Daler Rowney FW acrylic inks - are they light fast and do they work in a similar way to the Magic Color inks? Anyone tried the Dr. ph martins spectralite colours?
Sharon
  #188   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2005, 05:46 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Oooh Sharon, would you like to describe any of Jenny's processes?

.....and which one is your local art shop? - if it's close enough, might be worth a visit for me

Daler FW - just bought some - permanent - the colours I got are classed as opaque, but that's not a problem.

Haven't tried the Dr. M's, so can't comment.

Have you tried your inks yet?

I want some hot pressed paper - think the smoother surface will be better than the Np and the rough.

**My SAA website**
  #189   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2005, 01:45 AM
A Local Legend
Wonderful Wolves. UK

Hails from Scotland

Hi Catkin, the FW inks are said to be lightfast. Also you can get transparent and opaque in the range. Just need to check the bottle. As Maureen says, opaque ones are fine because you can thin them with water. I like the FW inks because they have the pipette/dipper unlike calligraphy inks or winsor & newton drawing inks. Can you tell us some of the things you learned from the SAA video? That'd be brilliant.
  #190   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2005, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Only got as far as putting some splodges on paper - will hopefully have more time at the weekend.
Maureen - the shop is Details in the Newcastle Art Centre at the bottom of Westgate Road near the Central station - think they may also do mail order.

Will have to try and get my thoughts together on trying to describe the video - she goes through the whole process from compostion etc to the end product - she makes it look so easy and draws initial outlines in colour with an old ink pen, just dipping it in the colour.
Sharon
  #191   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2005, 10:12 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Thanks Sharon - hopefully, may get up to N/cle later this week!

**My SAA website**