WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2005, 06:10 PM
North East England.

Hails from England
Re: July Classroom - Painting Domestic Animals

Here's Puss-Cat Tami - though I'm cheating because he's a pastel! (So hope no-one minds!)
It's small - only about 3x4" or thereabouts

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2005, 07:31 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Fabulous work, Maureen! (Pastel or acrylic...looks great in both!)

Dave
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2005, 12:37 AM
Veteran Member
USA

Hails from United States

Maureen, Fabulous! Again, you find colors in things I only wish I could see to use! A wonderful eye for color...BRAVO! Krysta
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2005, 07:27 AM
Enthusiast
Canada

Hails from Canada

clappies Maureen
so, where is Charlie? (I used to think he was a person, too! )

Art is the imagination at play in the field of time. Let yourself play.
-
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2005, 09:04 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Ah! Charlie! He's our cairn terrier and I have never managed a successful drawing or painting of him - with a bit of luck.....who knows!

Thanks for the lovely comments

PS - If I was to do this again, I'd leave out the 'back' fur on the right and just fade a bk'gd for his head I think.....I hadn't noticed that dark fur, upper right (the cat's back!) until I posted - lol!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**My SAA website**
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2005, 11:42 AM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Mum
Here's Puss-Cat Tami - though I'm cheating because he's a pastel! (So hope no-one minds!)
It's small - only about 3x4" or thereabouts

Whew!
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2005, 10:19 AM
A WC! Legend
NYS

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystakaye
Maureen, Fabulous! Again, you find colors in things I only wish I could see to use! A wonderful eye for color...BRAVO! Krysta

I agree with Krysta and I am hoping I can "train " my eye to see more colors in everything.

I did my rooster sketch on canvas and will put down a plain light colored background to start tonight. I have been doing underpaintings on everything now so I will probably do that too. Not sure, but maybe I should use some really bright colors in the underpainting for this rooster? Do you think I should go with colors that are opposite what the final feather colors would be? Can you tell I'm lost?
Barbara
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2005, 04:27 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from New Zealand

Wow what wonderful pet portraits!
Everyone is doing so great!

Thanks for the Red Setter paint colourings. I've noted them down for my reference when I do the old family pet. I'm still intending to do him. Maybe a while yet though.
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2005, 08:40 PM
Enthusiast
Indianapolis

Hails from United States

My sincerest apologies for being MIA the last few days. We had a couple of emergencies come up, and one very nice (but tiring) non-emergency - we drove to Illinois to pick up our new kitten. She is now purring in my lap, looking up at me with big blue eyes and begging me to paint her portrait. I need some practice painting cat's eyes, so I think I will use her for my first demo. I'll get most of the composition from the attached photo, but I also have some better exposures of her nose to help out in those dark areas.

ColorsoftheRainbow, she is looking good! You found the line between reality and the stylization that arabian owners like.

Maureen, thank you for posting the cat! Sorry, I didn't know it was pastel, but I think we acrylic painters can learn a lot from how colors are applied in pastel. Those eyes are fabulous, in any medium.

Barbara, do you want to use thin or thick paint on your rooster? If you're working in thin layers, then a complementary underlayer might just muddy all your subsequent layers. But if you're planning to work thickly and let the underlayer show through in bits and pieces, then some complementary colors underneath might be just the thing.

Tomorrow and the next day I can focus entirely on this thread, so I'll be back with more stuff then! Thanks so much for carrying on in my absence.

Tami
Attached Images

#70   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2005, 09:29 AM
A WC! Legend
NYS

Hails from United States

What a gorgeous kitten Tami! Congratulations! What is her name?

As fas as working thinly or thickly - LOL - I am so new to this - I guess I work thinly. I caught on to underpainting because my first 2 paintings showed white spots when I posted them online. I saw when I did an underpainting that it helped prevent those white spots. The only thick painting I have done is the one I did with a knife, of our collie. Well, I only roughed in the BG and have not really decided if it is to be a white picket fence or the corner of a barn. I think I will do a couple of sketchs first to see what would look best. I am trying to tie in with the accent color in my daughter's kitchen too, which is sort of a dark barn red. Guess I could have the picket fence and a little corner of the barn showing too.
Barbara
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2005, 10:04 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Lots of AAAAHHH factors there Tami!
She's adorable - she won't replace Toophy, but she'll help to fill the void ........ hope she gives you lots of love and happiness.
Can we paint her too please - when you're satisfied with a pic of her?

**My SAA website**
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2005, 06:59 PM
Enthusiast
Indianapolis

Hails from United States

Thanks, Barbara and Maureen! Mr. O. had the perfect name for her, based on her coloring - Tiramisu. We're calling her Tira for short. Anyone here is welcome to paint from that photo. I'd love to see what you can do with it! I started my eye demo using it today. It's like painting marbles.

Barbara, would it help if you tried some practice swatches? I do that sometimes when I'm not sure how to paint something. I'll do just a small section of the painting on another piece of paper or canvas until I get it right. Sometimes I end up with six or seven 1" swatches on one sheet. (And sometimes the swatches are better than the finished painting. ) It helps me get over the "what if I mess up" fears, and get a clear idea of how to proceed. Maybe that would help you too?

Tami
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2005, 07:34 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

I did this about a year ago from a photo of my friend's dog. I posted this in a thread last year (when I was titled a 'new member'?!?! ), but I thought I'd post it in the classroom as well.

This is 12"x16" acrylic on canvas.

As you can see, I did some dry brushing to achieve a bit of texture. Instead of mixing my colors on the palette, I painted a few areas by layering various colors next to each other and let the eye do the rest (optical blending). I find this to be very effective when painting fur or hair because it allows you to represent the broad range of colors found in the fur, yet the colors tie together to form the overall colors and tones of the animal, as you see from a distance. I also mixed all of my blackish-colors for this painting. As Tami and others have mentioned, mixing your own black adds a lot of interest to the color.

Dave
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2005, 12:10 PM
A WC! Legend
NYS

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by theIsland
Barbara, would it help if you tried some practice swatches? I do that sometimes when I'm not sure how to paint something. I'll do just a small section of the painting on another piece of paper or canvas until I get it right. Sometimes I end up with six or seven 1" swatches on one sheet. (And sometimes the swatches are better than the finished painting. ) It helps me get over the "what if I mess up" fears, and get a clear idea of how to proceed. Maybe that would help you too?Tami

Thank you so much Tami. Great idea. Last night I used a piece of chalk to try to draw in various elements - barn, fence, etc. Then, I asked my DH to voice his opinion. He went into a big dissertation on how the barn should be at an angle and the fence off in the distance but coming forward on the other side...... I ended up wiping off all the chalk marks and I don't know if I can do a imaginary background. The BG of the ref pic is too dark. I will try to remember to post tonite but our scanner has some foggy moisture problem I don't know how to fix either. Bad day! Sorry. I may have to just put this off for awhile as I have shows the next 3 Saturdays. Stress! Will get back to it when I get a breather!
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2005, 06:50 PM
Enthusiast
Indianapolis

Hails from United States

Part 4 - Drawing: Getting the Structure Right

Anatomy

It's not necessary to be an expert at anatomy, but knowing a few key points can help a lot. Animals are not softly rounded forms. They are full of angles and edges where the light changes. Knowing where a few major structures are, like the shoulder and hip, will give your struction solidity and dimension.

Animal anatomy isn't that hard if we compare it to our own. The main thing to remember about most mammals is that everything below what we commonly call the "knee" or "hock" is really more like an elongated human foot. The true elbow and knee are much higher on the body. Here's a diagram showing the human equivalents of major structures. It's a horse, but cats and dogs are very similar:

For more deeper analysis, here's a great website with diagrams of horses, cats, and dogs:
http://www.oricomtech.com/projects/leg-anat.htm

When preparing a drawing for a painting, think in layers, even if you don't actually draw or paint in layers. The number one problem I see with beginning artists is that they only paint what they see on the outside - the texture of a shiny coat or fluffy fur - without getting a clear vision of what's on the inside. The result is a form that looks like skin stretched over pillow stuffing.

Visualize where the big bones are first. You don't have to draw them in detail. Just know they're there. I often indicate the hip, shoulder, and legs with quick angled strokes. Nothing fancy, just a reminder to myself where they are, because those are the angles over which light will break.

Think about the muscle layer next. Visualize the soft form of the flesh over the skeletal structure. Draw it without too much detail. Don't worry about defining every little muscle so the animal looks like a bodybuilder. Just get the overall shape.

The texture of the coat or feathers is the final detail.

It helps to break up the shapes in the drawing into a series of cones, balls, angles, cubes, tubes, etc. All the stuff you learn in beginning drawing. I find this particularly helpful when I draw horse's legs. My legs consist of balls for the joints, connected by tubes for the long bones.

Whatever shorthand you feel you need, use it. It doesn't matter how you do it. Just keep the structure in mind.

Upcoming this week:
Part 5 - Eyes - The Windows to the Soul
Part 6 - Painting Textures