WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#106   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2006, 02:59 PM
Horses make me happy

Hails from Australia
Re: oral syringe..

Hi Shannon, what a great idea. I would never have thought to use an oral syringe for this.

We have a great tips thread in the information kiosk. I will have this added to this list of useful ideas
My websites: Discoveries With Colour Adventures in Photography
  #107   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Enthusiast
Western Pennsylvania

Hails from United States
Before using any of my brushes with acrylic paints, I always wet them first, then blot off any excess water before touching them to the paint. Never dip a dry brush into acrylic paint. You may never get the paint off it.I usually pre-mix my colors and rarely use my small sable brushes to do any direct mixing of colors. That will help prevent them from becoming so loaded with paint that the paint works up into the ferrule.

I blot off excess paint before I touch the brush to the painting surface. That will also help prevent excess build up of paint in the brush.

I rinse the paint off in clear water and blot off any paint onto a paper towel before setting the brush down to pick up another brush.

I keep my brushes moist, but not soaked, when I'm working with other brushes by resting them in a special little tray that I made up myself just for this purpose. If you keep the brushes soaking in water (i.e., submerged) you run the risk of having the brush become so waterlogged that the water begins to soften the glue up inside the ferrule. In really bad cases, the wooden handles may begin to crack, as well. I use a small shallow plastic tray that is about 1 1/2 inches in depth, 8 inches long, and about 4 1/2 inches wide. I use a small rectangular household sponge that has been cut to fit in one end of this tray. The upper surface of the sponge is about a quarter of an inch below the sides of the tray. I soak the sponge in water and squeeze a bit of it out before placing it into the tray. When my brushes are not in use during a painting session, I rest them in this tray with the handles resting on one end of the tray and the hair/bristle ends resting on the sponge. The angle is just right so that the brush heads make contact with the moist sponge and keep them from drying out, but they do not get bent out of shape. Since adopting this system many years ago, I have not lost a single brush to water damage or having the paint dry on it.

When I'm done painting for the day, I give the brushes a thorough but gentle washing and use my thumb nail to work in between the brush hairs to help work out any paint residue. After a good rinse, I reshape them and lay them flat to dry.

One of the best ways to avoid getting paint up into the ferrule of the brush is to avoid overloading it or using the brush to mix up your colors. I try to never overload my brushes and use either a small painting knife or even some wooden Popsicle sticks to mix quantities of paint.

I hope that helps.

Beverly

Here is the brush tray with sponge and a few sample brushes to show that it works equally well with long handled brushes or short handled ones.

Note: the sponge and brushes in this photo are completely dry. I didn't want to wet them just for this photo. The sponge contracts a bit when it's dry like this, so it would plump up a bit more when wet and in use. I cut it wide enough to touch the sides of the tray and prevent any brushes from slipping off the ends of the sponge. The slight bit of rim around the tray that is higher than the sponge keeps the brushes from rolling off the tray. You can make up a rig like this in a size to suit your needs. You just want the angle of the brush to rest its head on the sponge without bending.

Beverly

Last edited by Charlie's Mum : 12-16-2010 at 11:19 AM.
  #108   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2014, 08:04 AM
North East England.

Hails from England
Re: Got any Tips?

RE Staywet palette variety - see also this thread by autoslip.

Storing tubes of paint - this thread by Lorraine57

See this thread also by rickjf

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**

Last edited by Charlie's Mum : 01-28-2019 at 08:03 AM.