WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2005, 10:36 AM
A WC! Legend
NYS

Hails from United States
Re: Got any Tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Mum
Eeh by gum lass, I'm reet sorry!!!!!!
Consider my hand slapped!

No problem Maureen I expect full credit now for this one I thought of as I had an occasion to be drybrushing on something this weekend. Probably only helpful to newbies like me.
For drybrushing, make sure your brush is actually dry, not one you've been using and rinsing out from one color to another. Then after you load your paint, pounce off the excess on a dry paper or papertowel. Your drybrushing should be perfect that way!
Barbara
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2005, 11:11 AM
Enthusiast
Canada

Hails from Canada

one method I have been using for a disposable palette is a small pad of children's finger paint paper. It is small and has a bit of a waxy surface, so the paint doesn't soak through. For about a 100 or so sheets I spent 80 cents! It only works for a one time use, so I only squeeze out as much paint as I need. Hey, just got an idea - if I put some wet paper towel underneath it, some pennies, and then put it in an air tight plastic container?? hmmm!!! I might get another use or two out of it. You guys got my wheels turning now!

Art is the imagination at play in the field of time. Let yourself play.
-
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2005, 05:40 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

You see how one solution generates other ideas?
This is all great - thank you everyone for the ideas

That temporary air-tight food container palette is still working for me after two weeks - it's much smaller than the staywet for carrying away from home. ....... and the greaseproof paper stands a fair bit of mixing before the surface deteriorates.

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2005, 06:34 PM
Enthusiast
Washington, DC USA

Hails from United States

Ok, so I cheated! This is a link to a thread in the watercolor forum describing painting on paper on a wet towel to keep open time going for several days. I know, it's not acrylic, but seems like it would work for acrylic too. Thread is titled "Clown Fish" by JolynnMorse.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...0&page=2&pp=15
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2005, 07:19 PM
Enthusiast
Western Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Gaudon
I think the brushes should be store tip up and not tip down. There are some who say down but I think the majority would say tip up. Something to do with capillery action that happens in the ferrule.

It's fine to store DRY brushes tip up but not wet ones. Howard has a very good method for allowing his brushes to dry suspended with the wet tips hanging down. This allows gravity to help pull the water away from the ferrule where it could otherwise slowly seep into the glued portion of the ferrule and cause the glue to loosen and precious brush hairs or filaments to fall out. Water seeping into the ferrule can also cause the wooden handle to become wet, swollen and begin to crack or rot. Once this happens the ferrule becomes loose and wobbly and your brush is probably ready for the junk brush collection.

If you can't hang your wet brushes tip-down as Howard does, the next best thing is to allow them to lie perfectly flat until they are dry.

By the way, brushes should never be allowed to rest for long periods standing on their hair/bristle ends in containers of liquids or solvents. This can cause permanent bending or misshaping of the hairs or bristles.

One tip I'd like to pass on is to add just a bit of conditioner (like you use on your hair to make it easy to comb out after a shampoo) to the final rinse water when you give your brushes the final clean up at the end of your painting day. I met a professional wildlife artist a few years ago who works exclusive with acrylics and expensive sable brushes. She said that the conditioner helps the flow properties of her acrylics and they release much better from her brushes because of the conditioner. The conditioner also helps to keep her brushes in excellent shape.

Beverly
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2005, 06:10 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Thank you Paul and Beverly.
Paul - the wet w/c version seems akin to an earlier suggestion of spraying both back and front of an acrylics support.
Mind you, after following your link, I'm still trying to work out how you roll paper and towels up like a log, squeeve out the water and not spoil the paper!!!! (I've probabaly read it wrongly!)
Beverly - I should have remembered myself to add the bit about not standing brushes on their heads in water - surprising how often this happens with some!

I've seen the tip about using conditioner elsewhere - but I thought it was only with hair brushes (or more precisely, brushes made with hair!) .....must try it with nylon ones too.

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**My SAA website**
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2005, 03:16 AM
A WC! Legend
Australia

These tips are fabulous guys.

This thread should be a sticky so it doesn't get lost..
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2005, 08:02 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Judy - haven't you any ideas to add?

This will eventually be edited to make a sticky (I hope!) - meanwhile, just have to keep bumping up!

**My SAA website**
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2005, 08:40 AM
A WC! Legend
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Mum
Judy - haven't you any ideas to add?

Been a loooooooooong time since I painted in acrylics. I got them all out today and looked at them..

When I use them, I will remember and I will post..
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2005, 10:13 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Cheers Judy! Happy painting with acrylics

Just copied this from Howards 'Drying brushes' thread -

Quote:
So, after some thought I went to the source, a brush manufacturer. And the response was.....

"I don't know who told you to dry your brushes with the hair up instead of
down, but they are completely wrong. When the brush stands on its handle
end, the solvent or fluid that is in the head than seeps down into the
ferrule. At the tip of the handle inside the ferrule is an epoxy barrier.
If you dry the brush with the head up instead of down, the fluid will
eventually erode the barrier.

Stay with your tried and true "old fashioned" technique. Its best to dry all
brushes with the head down."
Thank you Howard

**My SAA website**
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2005, 11:17 AM
A WC! Legend
NYS

Hails from United States

Maureen, I am wondering if anyone has good storage tips for all those tubes of paint. Being a fairly new painter, mine have been in the box I purchased the first set of them in, but as I keep adding more tubes that I purchase 1 at a time, I see I will want something sturdier and roomier and easy to move from room to room (hot weather requires me to move to the kitchen!). I would also like it to be portable for taking in the car. Don't think one of those trolley things would work. I had picked up a large antique tin with some beautiful Currier & Ives landscapes on the front and back, with the idea of keeping my paints in it. Hope its OK to ask questions in your thread. Now, I'm wondering if the tin is such a great idea.
Barbara
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2005, 11:27 AM
A WC! Legend
Mahone Bay, NS

Hails from Canada

Barbara .. I'm not sure how many tubes you call a lot but how about a big old lunch box. They have a plastic box inside of them so you could use the box inside the house and if you went out then you would put the plactic box back in it's cover shell and away you go. Just a thought.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2005, 11:44 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Barbara of course it's OK to ask questions here - that's how we'll get more answers!

Over in WDEers Weekly, (a few weeks ago when I asked others about storage), Deepat showed us her 'mobile' studio - her husband bought her a storage trolley which she can wheel to the car and take out - I think it's from a DIY tools dept - I'm sure she'll tell you!

I settled for 2 sets of drawers which DH added castors to, and they fit under the table, so I have a drawer for each type of medium - and some require more than that!
I try to keep the tubes in colour order so they're easy to find! - doesn't always keep to plan! I tried the boxes - which got bigger and multiplied and needed somewhere to store those - that led to the re-think! I'm happy with the present set-up, and when I need to take stuff out of doors, I take only what's needed.
I can wheel the drawers into another room if needs be.

I'm putting this in because I saw painters the other day trying to wash brushes still thick with paint! -

Before washing brushes, wipe off surplus paint on a paper towel, then rinse before using another colour or more paint. Obvious, I know - or I thought it was!

Re: those brushes after washing at end of session - I've always allowed mine to dry flat before storing, tip up, in a jar.

I think, re earlier discussion, that the operative word is 'dry' either suspended, brush down, or lying flat. Brushes should never, ever, be allowed to rest on the brush head for more than a second or two! ..... unless you really want bent brushes!

Having read what the manufacturer said to HCowdrick, I'm thinking of rigging up a suspension system too! ........ although i have never had a problem with the brushes ........ yet!!???!

**My SAA website**
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2005, 11:49 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Quote:
Instead of pins to hold the brush I was thinking velcro .. one strip on a table edge or whatever and a little wrap around on the tip of each handle.
from Wayne Gaudon

**My SAA website**
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2005, 12:27 PM
Enthusiast
Indianapolis

Hails from United States

Check out a hardware store or sporting goods store for inexpensive alternatives to storage boxes designed for artists. Fishing tackle boxes make good paint boxes, and you can often find the exact equivalent to much more expensive art bins.

Plastic tool boxes are great! They're tough and inexpensive. My rolling Stanley unit was only $19.99 at Walmart, and I love it! It might be kind of big for some people, but when I paint outdoors, I carry a lot of water. The cool thing about this box is that the top tote detaches from the bottom section, so I can take my paints indoors, and leave the rest in the garage.

Tami
Attached Images

Last edited by theIsland : 06-29-2005 at 12:31 PM.