WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2005, 10:29 AM
A WC! Legend
NYS

Hails from United States
Re: January Acrylics Classroom: Miniature Madness!

Jamie,
Thanks so much for this class and your wonderful demo.
I did my first "mini" from the 12/31 WDE - it is posted there. Certainly not archival quality as I did it on the back of a playing card 2 1/2" x 3 1/2". Gessoed and base coated with acrylic. I was too lazy to cut out mat board and did not have any heavy paper. My first experiment was fun and turned out not too bad. Looked really cute in the mini frame.
I look forward to participating here and learning more about acrylics and minis. Thanks again,
Barbara
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2005, 02:40 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

A couple of leads on mini brushes.....

Dick Blick has some nice, inexpensive synthetics on sale. Some of these are very small and ideal for minis. I have three of these sets, and I'm pretty happy with them:
http://www.dickblick.com/zz053/43/pr...m=0&ig_id=6060

Also, for those of you who have a Michaels Arts and Crafts nearby, my local store has a sale this week of 50% off all open stock American Painter Brushes. They make lots of good mini brushes. I just got back home with a bunch of nice new ones. You can check for a store near you and even browse their weekly ad online:
http://www.michaels.com/art/online/h...8%26oe%3Dutf-8
(The mini frames I like so much from that store were not on sale.)

Here's a pic of some of the American Painter brushes:

Barbara, would you post your WDE/ATC painting here so we can see it? Great idea about the playing card!

Jamie

One year from now, you'll wish you had started today.

Last edited by JamieWG : 01-03-2005 at 03:31 PM.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2005, 03:15 PM
Lord of the Arts
Oregon

Hails from United States

Jamie-
Thanks for hard work with Classroom. Makes me what to work with acrylic again. You may have seen these acrylic miniature pins in the past. I have a challenge for me. A friend gave me a very small pin. I have to make up my mind on what to paint. Any ideas anyone?
Jaef

#34   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2005, 03:19 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Hiya, Jaef! Of course I remember the pins. They are absolutely stunning! How could I forget? They would make great holiday gifts to sell for next year! (Thinking ahead.....LOL.....)

Thanks for stopping in. I can't wait to see what you do with your latest challenge, but acrylics would be a good choice for a medium. You'll need some vibrant color and contrast in there for it to show. One thing I am finding is that the smaller the painting, the more lights you need in it overall, and the more contrast. Subdued colors totally fade away in a very small mini and they get 'lost' to the eye.

Edit: Oh, Jaef, here's an idea for you:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239123

Jamie

#35   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2005, 05:40 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieWG
Debbie, I'm so glad that one of the ATCers has checked in here. It sounds like you're all having way too much fun with those!!! If you have a few minutes, would you please add a post to this thread, explaining about the Art Trading Cards, and letting Miniature Madness participants know how they can become involved with that Wetcanvas group? Thanks so much! It seems like a wonderful way for our members to explore miniature art and share it together.

Jamie

Ok ATC info: (links down the bottom)
What is ATC?
ATC is an Artist Trading Card - baseball size trading card for artists.

Size:
All ATC’s are 2.5 x 3.5 inches (64mm x 89mm)
The same size as baseball cards and other trading cards.
This allows them to fit in plastic sleeves and binder pages designed for protecting and storing other kinds of trading cards

What to put on the back of the cards
Title of card
Signature or name
Date
Medium Used
Country
Email address
Whether it is a single card or “series card” or a “limited edition print”
If series – put series name and number of card eg 4 of 6
If limited edition print – put edition name and number of card eg 3 of 6

Forms of trading
Here on Wetcanvas so far we have been trading via PMs.
One artist likes another artists trading cards and then they PM each other with trade and address details.

Other trade forms that I know of are:
"Blind trading" - Artists create 11 cards each and send them to one place. One person then sorts all the cards from the different artists and sends them back to the people registered with the blind trade. Each person recieves 9 cards back. Registration costs about $2US for postage costs. There are 2 leaders - the 2 spare cards go to them.

"Trading in person" - meet up with people in your own home town and trade in person.

One card for one card.
NO: “mine is better than yours” or “I want 2 of yours for one of mine for mine is better quality”
One card for one card policy. EVERYONE is equal

More info/advice here.

Links to ATC projects here. People, nature (landscapes, flowers etc), animals, imagination.

One bit of advice. If you want to read ALL the pages of the threads on ATC's you are mad. You are looking at over 4,0000 posts to read. Hope you have a spare year or two if you are! Read the last page on the projects you'll soon catch up on the goss or just go to the project final entries and look at the work people are doing. Lot less time consuming than reading ALL the posts.

Looking forward to some more new traders.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2005, 08:21 PM
Immortalized
Philippines

Hails from Philippines

Hi everyone! Together with Debbie, I'm one of the regulars at the ATC project and I tell you it's addictive.

I'm joining this miniature project and hope to come up with something good enough to donate to the Fund Raising Project for Tsunami Victims.

Cheers!

Joel
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2005, 08:28 PM
Lord of the Arts
Calgary AB

Hails from Canada

Okay, I found some frames, not exactly what I was looking for, but it'll have to do. I got a whole bunch of wood 4X6's, 3 for $1.00, but they are too big for this, but I will use them for something else. Here's my selection. What do you think? The tiny silver frames, one of which is turned with the back facing you, I do not know how to get it apart. Does anyone else know?

"Art is an outsider, a gypsy over the face of the earth." ~Robert Henri
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2005, 10:48 PM
Lord of the Arts
Calgary AB

Hails from Canada

Okay I figured out how to get those frames open, they just pop open. LOL.
So, for smooth rag paper, do I need to prime it with gesso, or can I just paint right on it?

#39   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2005, 08:19 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Happy New Year Everyone!

Hi Jamie - thanks for all of this...and thanks also to the rest of you who have contributed so far.

After all the festivities I'm about to get my 'studio' area back up and working, and, as I already bought some frames last year ( ), I'm rarin' to go, so after a late lunch, my paints are definitely making an appearance (it's almost 1.30pm here and we're still recovering from a hectic party yesterday - great fun though!)

See you all later - with painting!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2005, 10:31 AM
London

Hails from United Kingdom

OK, just to make sure:

1. I should have a frame before painting the picture!?!

Dont have one so I could paint now and then either paint a frame or find some harder paper to make a paper frame (dont know what they are called) that go around the picture before the real frame goes round it.

2. So, painting just swirls, shadows etc is OK. I cant do landscapes or still life yet.

Also any ATC people please feel free to contact me for trading, even though I still have to paint them first.

Regards,

Daniela

PS: Sorry to be so thick as thick paint for asking these questions.
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2005, 10:46 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumoon
Okay I figured out how to get those frames open, they just pop open. LOL.
So, for smooth rag paper, do I need to prime it with gesso, or can I just paint right on it?

Blu, you do not need to prime the paper. Just paint away! It doesn't get any easier than that. Paper is a fabulous surface just as is. You may have to tape the edges down to stop it from curling, depending on its weight.

Great job with the frames! BTW, you can use those 4x6 frames for minis with a mat for a smaller painting. I mat and frame most of my 3x5 minis to 5x7 size.

Debbie, thanks so much for the informative post regarding ATCs. I too hope many of our participants here will take you up on your offer to check out the ATC projects. What a group!

Daniela, the only reason I suggest buying the frame first is so that you can paint to the frame size on an inexpensive frame, rather than risk having to do a custom framing job later. However and whatever you want to paint is fine, as long as it is 16 square inches or less!

Hi Maureen! Looking forward to your paintings!

Joel, I will probably donate a mini to the Tsunami project also.

Jillian and Minibrush, and Jaef too, it's so nice to see you here in this classroom thread. Thanks for stopping by. I'm sure your experience and expertise in the field of miniature art will be an asset to us!

Jamie

#42   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2005, 10:51 AM
Lord of the Arts
Calgary AB

Hails from Canada

Thanks Jamie . . . duh I never thought of matting for the 4x6. What a good idea. They were so cheap I couldn't let them go by. I prepared the sizes last night, and hunted for ref photos. So I shall get down to painting some today. Hopefully I'll have something to show later.

#43   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2005, 12:12 PM
A WC! Legend
My part of the universe

Hails from United States

Jamie:
Just got one of those Masterson Handy palettes like the one you showed. I have the larger one and that's good for bigger sized paintings.
But this little one is going to come in handy for miniatures. Glad you showed it!!! I just sold my first framed mini!!! Rah! Rah!
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2005, 12:22 PM
Western side of Puerto Rico with a view of the isle of Mona

Hails from Puerto Rico

Hi Thanks JamieWG, for this class, been wanting to try one, (Thanks to Bertoni!) This will be my first mini attempt.
Blumoon: You could paint them and antique the frames, it would change them completely. Thats what I did. I bought a frame, it was silver, or rather aluminum colored, so I painted and antiqued it , I forgot to take a before pic, but here is the frame and I just covered with canvas the hard cardboard that came with it. Size is 2.5x3.5, the painting area is 1.5x2.5 So now I'm ready to gesso and paint, I was thinking of a landscape on the horizontal, but I may just copy JamieWG's , Have some things to do, will probably start tonight.
Liz
Attached Images

#45   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2005, 12:39 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsarthritis
........You could paint them and antique the frames, it would change them completely.

............ I was thinking of a landscape on the horizontal, but I may just copy JamieWG's , .

I love what you did with your frame! Can you tell us what you used to paint and antique it?

Liz, LOL.....I am flattered, but please don't copy the painting unless it is just for your own educational purposes, and not for show/display or sale. (In those cases, "fair use" would likely apply.) I am trying to get folks to experiment in that demo with doing their own still life setups, and trying a painting from life. Perhaps you can arrange some fruit or veggies in a similar way for a nice still life painting.

BTW, I will be doing a horizontal landscape demo from a photo reference soon too.

Jamie

Last edited by JamieWG : 01-04-2005 at 01:15 PM.