WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2014, 02:11 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Re: PAL (Paint-a Long): Painting glass and Metal

I'm gonna join in with a WIP of the whiskey glass. Maybe later this week. But first I need to get a little further along on my rusty truck ptg.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2014, 03:42 PM
NC

Hails from United States

Maureen, Is it possible to make this a STICKY and easier to find?

oldhobbyist - Thank you for your belief in my painting abilities by painting in a larger size. Since I do collect glass fishing floats, I wanted to keep the painting close to actual size of the floats.

(I was going to say "balls" , yet I get myself in a lot of trouble <blush> )

I also collect marbles, glass gazing globes...anything round and shiny. I also love polka dots! Circles just seem happy!
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2014, 03:51 PM
Texas

Hails from United States

I stuck my neck out and tried the second ref. shown of Chardin. I know my shapes are off and the glass just doesn't look right. What can I do to improve the painting? About 5x8, 140lb. wc paper, various acrylics. Sorry for the glare on the left.Attachment 814692
Attached Images

#34   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2014, 03:59 PM
Victoria, Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada

Amazing work so far.

Cathy your floats are wonderful. Really well done.

Cindy WOW is that ever good! My only tiny crit is that as you've noticed the glass isn't quite symmetrical. One side angles just a fraction more than the other. Easily addressed. Overall though it is a winner.

Hi Bhavani. Thanks for stopping by to check up on the Acrylic folks. I will have to check up what you've been up to with the WSOs.

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2014, 04:26 PM
Texas

Hails from United States

Aww shucks, thanks Colin!
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2014, 06:32 PM
A WC! Legend
In Her Own Mind & a few people in MS

Hails from United States

Thanks, old_hobbyist!! I worked on that...not totally sure it's right, but hopefully better...

Cathy...well done!

Maureen...you are right. Sadly I did trace... and still messed it up 3 times.

Hi, Christine and Cindy!! Bhavani...been missing you!

Cindy...love yours!!

Well...hopefully the first is done. Did another one, and was so happy with it, till I added a bit more yellow and naples yellow lt. to the grapes. For some reason they look "great" inside, but outside they are YELLOW...oh my! Tried to wash a bit off, but still seemed to be very neonish. Inside or from a distance, not bad...but I guess the camera does not lie.

Anyhow, here's the ref and the painting.

I reversed it, since I'd done the first one on the right side.

Wish I could think of a wash that would tone things down, as I really don't want to do the grapes again. They even have darks, and shadows when I look at it inside...sigh.

I'm guessing since it's been so long since I painted, studies are not going to stay studies... Each started out that way, but could not stop working on them. Oh well...off to see what's next!
"Who said one paints with colors? One employs colors, but one paints with feeling."

~Jean-Baptiste-Siméon Chardin
Susan's Soul________ Blog_______ Yessy
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2014, 07:07 PM
NC

Hails from United States

Cindy, WOW! I love the colors in your painting! I really do!

Susan, Another one? Come on, give me a chance to re-do my first one Btw, I like the 2nd one best because of the items in the painting.

I just wasn't in the mood to paint today, so I'm hoping tonight will be better....

Do you guys ever get really nervous and have lots of anxiety prior to painting? It's almost like "stage fright!" I'm hoping that will ease up a bit, as a lot of time my hand shakes from nerves!
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2014, 08:52 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Cathy, I get anxious pretty much each time...feel like anything good I've ever done was a fluke. Sadly the flops seem to re-enforce that feeling rather than the good ones...sigh. Can you tell I've always had probs with self-esteem? But just keep persevering... As for painting fast....I figure since I just started painting in 2007...I have years to make up for, and no time to waste.
"Who said one paints with colors? One employs colors, but one paints with feeling."

#39   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2014, 04:33 AM
A WC! Legend
Beaudesert Queensland Australia

Hails from Australia

Hi everyone, I did the exercises today and pretty much tried to stick to the plan and study the shape colour and tone to determine what I was going to paint. The first was very quickly done and I could not really concentrate because of the noise and interruptions going on so it is what it is. It is 6 x 4 inches on canvas board and I initially used watery paint applied with a flat .5 inch brush and tried to do the mid tones first then the darks and finally came in with thicker white to show the highlights. It only took a few minutes, less than 5 and I decided this was going to be too complicated to try and take further and called this exercise done.

The next went just as quickly but a little more successfully, once again I used a flat to apply the mid tones in a thicker paint and the fairly fairly simple shapes were easier to keep track of and I then just applied the darks then the highlights with a round about a sixe 6 I think. Once again it took less than 5 minutes and measures about 7 x 8 inches on a canvas page.

I then tried the full reference of the zoomed image and once again laid down watery paint in the general shape they occur in in the reference, It fairly quickly became a sludgy mess but I kept working at it picking out the lights and darks and trying to capture the reflected colours in the shadows and on the balls and to describe the colour and shape distortions as they appear through the overlapping glass. It started to come together towards the end of the morning and I enjoyed the exercise but this is as far as I will take it. It is on the same canvas page as the zoomed image and took about 90 minutes.

These were done just as an exercise and I need to practice some more especially on doing cut crystal. You are all doing amazing stuff and I have a fair bit of work to do to catch up.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2014, 07:18 AM
Texas

Hails from United States

Susan....You are really into this. Glad you are painting again. I like the second painting. My only suggestion would be to "lose" the edge of the glass along the left side where the wine is. I can't help with the wash to tone down. I'm not sure why you want to. Perhaps some brighter highlights on the grapes? Nicely done all in all.

Christine...You did well with these. 5 min.? 90 min. Can't wait to see a final painting from you.

Cathy.....No need to be nervous around here. Relax and enjoy the process. This is a learning experience for all of us. I believe we are each our own worst critic! I have learned a great deal from the PALs and the entire site in general. So lighten up and have fun Its not a competition!
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2014, 03:51 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Thanks, Cindy...did it.... looks much better!! I so appreciate your eyes...and everyone else's. I am so glad to be painting again...with enthusiasm instead of just 'doing'!

I hope I don't over-post...just tell me to knock it off if I do! I know I have/take a lot more time, than many have. My idea of heaven is usually having 12+ hours to paint as I want...or read...or both...

I did two rougher studies...put them on paper (bad, cheap paper ) 10x8. I don't mind acrylic paper, which is sturdy and will take the paint, but this stuff well... The first one I did last night...just to see how few colors I could use, and how few brushes, and strokes, and still come up with a look of glass. Last night I painted the bg pthalo gr. and did the bottle and foreground in paynes gray and unbleached titanium; then this am painted over the bg in payes gray, went back and did a few more details, and went over the highlights in tit. white. The way the bottle broke up the horizon line intrigued me...

ref...

The other one, was the crystal glass...and still tried to keep the palette somewhat limited, the brushes larger, and just concentrate on some of the shapes, and try to get the tones right. It's not easy for me to not go back and do details...

#42   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2014, 03:55 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Bhavani - so good to have you drop in! I haven't had time to keep checking your Blog and I've missed you!

Cathy - I've cleared some older stickies and put this up there - you'd all better make it worth the while!

Cindy - thought this was canvas but oh! how good it looks already!
Remember what I said about making a template and then reversing it to get the symmetry? That's all it needs! You have some delightful colour mixes in the brown carafe.
Make sure you leave enough 'physical' space between object - look at the proximity of the garlic clove(s) and the carafe - is there enough floor space for the cloves?
I'm really pleased for you with this!

Susan - I've sent you a PM about ellipses - see if it helps
Having said that, for purposes of study, I wouldn't worry too much - just look and acknowledge where something might be in need of adjustment!
BUT - I also know you! ... so go to it as and when!!! Each version is an improvement

#2 - I remember doing this for an earlier D/S challenge! I know I over-worked mine
This ref is quite good for lost and found edges - you've noted that quite well on the inner side of the glass - just a little too hard/defined on the outer side against the b/g .... and some of those lesser highlights could be toned down a bit perhaps?
For the grapes - perhaps lighten the lighter areas? they're well drawn, just the 'mass' needs a greater sense of volume, which that strong side-light gives them.
Look at the darks at the top of the glass stem!

Christine - I like these quick studies (students please note!!!!! ) - and I understand the limits when painting in a weekly group! They tend to be more social than 'working' environments!
I envy the speed with which you can attack these!
I feel you've looked at the colour and tones and caught a sense of glass in them all.

For all - this is why I like these PALs - we all have different styles and this thread already shows these differences - great!
Keep 'em coming!

Cathy - if we didn't get anxious about things we wouldn't give our best!
It's a good feeling to have, stops us being complacent and makes us THINK!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2014, 03:56 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Susan - we X-posted - will be back for this latest of yours!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**My SAA website**
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2014, 01:31 AM
Victoria, Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada

Susan you are a powerhouse. I like your latest a lot. Great colours caught in the glass.

Christine - wow very impressive. I especially like that glass of scotch.

Here is my effort. Haven't worked on the background and if I have time I will do a bit more on it tomorrow but time is running out, so this may be it:

12 x 16 on canvasboard.

For what it's worth, I started each glass ball other than the clear one by working on the darkest areas first and then the lighter areas of each coloured float. Added a bit of titanium white as necessary to lighten the colour while the paint was still wet. The clear glass float was more of a muddle of going back and forth between darker and light trying to get the right balance. Continued with the titanium even though zinc white might have been better. Added the bright highlights last.

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2014, 07:38 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Susan - you never 'over-post', I'm just thrilled you're back painting - and with such gusto!
These latest additions are super - vital, especially the scotch glass!
You are also 'looking' at the subject - - I really like that bottle ref you found and it's distortion of the line!
In fact, I like that ref muchly! The facets and subtle colour shifts is lovely and you've looked for them in the painting.
Is it from the RIL?

Colin - I'm surprised you found any time at all - well done you!
Thanks for adding your method - and I especially like the red ball - it has a fluidity and richness, lovely!

Look forward to you completing this after your holiday - which you should go and enjoy and bring us back lovely pics!

**My SAA website**