WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2014, 08:42 PM
Victoria, Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada
Re: PAL (Paint-a Long): Painting glass and Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_hobbyist
Maureen, I have been painting glass and reflective "stuff" for some time. My marble ptg, a classic example, is shown below - 16 x 20 on canvas panel.

But in the past couple of years, I've been hammered many times by critics and professional artists (and judges) who say that my "stuff" is too programmed, too rote, too academic, too lifeless, too still-life-ish.

The truth is that these efforts take a whole bunch of time to faithfully execute. And frankly, it hurts to have these efforts sniffed at.

One esteemed judge wrote that if I wanted realism, I should spend more time taking photographs.

So while it was great for 18C artists to paint like this, the genre is apparently truly passé. So while I love to execute these really tight realistic still-lifes, I have been slavishly trying to move away from this genre.

Any thoughts?

The thought "Wow" came into my mind, Jim. I love your work - you have rendered this with such fluidity and control. It is dazzling.

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2014, 08:45 PM
Victoria, Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada

Susan you have great highlights on the glass. You are quick off the mark! Well done! I agree that the glass is improved in the second one. The rose just needs a little tweaking for some values.

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2014, 09:33 PM
A WC! Legend
In Her Own Mind & a few people in MS

Hails from United States

Thanks, Colin! This PAL was just what I needed to jump start my muse!
"Who said one paints with colors? One employs colors, but one paints with feeling."

~Jean-Baptiste-Siméon Chardin
Susan's Soul________ Blog_______ Yessy
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2014, 10:00 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

susan, great effort. Check your ovals at the base of the glass.

#20   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2014, 10:03 PM
NC

Hails from United States

Jim, I love those marbles! You did an Excellent job! Those that think otherwise can take their brushes and .... .... !

Susan One hour to paint an 11 by 14? WOW! The 2nd image does show definite improvement! Great job!

Ok folks, here's my attempt at painting a very cropped version of glass fishing floats that was in the RIL. My finished size is 4.5" by 6" and it took me 3 hours!

My thought process: Do what Maureen said and don't think "glass", rather just look at the photo and 'see the color, shapes, etc." So that's what I did and the whole process was a LOT less intimidating than I thought it would be. Yet it still was a challenge for me. I initially started throwing paint up and than I slowed down and worked on each float individually, adding the 'white highlights' last.

I have been seeing other acrylic artists use 140 lb. water color paper, so that's what I used and it was my first time doing so. Even though I did use acrylics, I felt as I was treating them like watercolors, so I hope it still 'counts.'

My "limited" palette: Phthalo blue, Hookers green, cad. yellow med., yellow oxide, transparent red iron oxide Paynes grey and Titanium white. I also only used a #2 filbert brush.

Please, let me know how I can improve! I am finished for the night, yet I saved everything on my wet palette, so I can work on it tomorrow. Please ignore the edges, as this will be matted and framed (Rob likes this one also!) I even surprised myself with this one!!! Ref. photo first:

Ok, now my painting

Thank you for looking and all comments welcomed and appreciated!
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2014, 11:36 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Susan - def. a lot of refinement in the glass, and it does, indeed, look like glass - which is the whole point of the exercise really!

You might now want to refine further - and look at the blues there?

I know you don't much like drawing, so if it helps for such subjects as ellipses, do a tracing.

Catherine - I actually thought the photo was a painting!

Acrylics in watercolour-style is fine - an accepted and legitimate method!

As these are glass floats and spherical, try to avoid hard lines where a shape turns away from you - e.g. top left float and right hand float - see those hard turquoise lines?

Well done! I can see you've really tried looking at S/C/T for this!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2014, 11:54 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Jim - that really is a beautiful painting and I see it as a painting not a photograph - it has elements of creativity in it rather than a slavish copy (to my mind anyway!)

I feel we do our best work when we paint what we want to paint and the way we want to paint it and such comments as you've received from critics are yes, hurtful, but also biased because they are looking for something on different lines ...... so would they have all painting on those lines they set out? - then we'd all be churning out the same stuff?

In Britain over the past couple of decades the move has been away from realism and figurative painting to 'conceptual' art - which frankly disgusts me to a large extent (Tracey Emin's dirty bed, Damien Hurst's cows in formaldehyde etc) ... but now there's a reaction to that and figurative and realism are coming back into fashion ......... there's a push to do more drawing at Art Schools and concentrate on learning their painterly crafts!

Throughout history artists have 'reacted' to current trends and no doubt will continue to do so - but I also feel that 'what goes around comes around'. When I look at what the majority of the public want to put on their walls I'd suggest there's more demand for realism than for 'conceptual' stuff ........ most people like to understand what they are looking at.
That's not to say there's no demand for abstract paintings, modernism, illusionist, fantasy etc etc - if something is well painted it will be good, whatever the subject or style!

Yesterday I saw on tv some work by a local painter of my generation - his work 'speaks' to people, it's not pretty, it's not realistic as in photo-realism but it's powerful in the way he depicts figures (sometimes ugly) and the industrial past of this area. He paints from conviction - but I wouldn't hang one in my living room!
He's being referred to as a modern version of L.S.Lowry ...... but we can't all be Lowry!

He paints from conviction - this is what I think art should be about.

Sorry to ramble on!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**My SAA website**
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2014, 12:12 PM
NC

Hails from United States

Maureen, thank you for your soft/hard lines comment, I was wondering about that as I was painting. I read up on the classroom about it and tried to blur nearly all the lines, yet I didn't do as well as I'd have liked. I also want to try this painting again, being more careful where the highlights/reflections are placed, as they truly make the balls look round. The clear float on the far right has highlights that merge away from each other and don't run parallel as I have them, I need to fix that. Same with the middle clear float. And the "phone-looking" reflection on the bottom float, I will try not to make it so much like a 'phone' (for those of us who remember when phones looked like that )

It was really fun to paint!!! When I started mixing the colors, I would put 'that' color where ever I saw it! My wet palette really looked like an abstract painting with all the jumbled colors. Also, working "smallish" as you suggested made it easier to post on WC. I just scanned the actual painting! No need to take a picture first then 'crop, edit, compress, save as....'

The verdict is still open as to whether I'll continue to use watercolor paper, as I don't like seeing the texture show. I need to keep practicing. Maybe if I wet the paper first, wipe off the water and then paint a lil thicker??? The paper wanted to absorb up the water from the paint immediately. It was easier to blend the colors, which I needed and liked a lot. We'll see what today brings...
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2014, 02:52 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

It's good that you're identifying for yourself those areas needing attention if you want to take it further.
The more blending you do/try, the easier it will get - you already have found that keeping an area damp assists the paint blend! In many ways, that's easier on paper when you can keep it wet - but - paper always absorbs the first layer quickly so trying to paint large areas can be difficult.

Try using thinker paint, keeping it damp with a mister, and blending small areas - just to see how it works.

Scanning - unless my work is huge, I always scan - I've used as many as six areas/scans and joined them together into the painting - you just have to learn how to avoid the join lines!

**My SAA website**
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2014, 03:23 PM
NC

Hails from United States

* Cathy peeks in, jots down more notes from Maureen and scampers off to paint! *
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2014, 11:29 PM

Cathy a great rendition. Would like to see that in a much larger format tho. 9 x 12 would have 4 times the surface area and the impact would easily be 4 times greater. My guess is that it wouldn't take you much longer to paint 9 x 12 either.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2014, 07:10 AM
A WC! Legend
Beaudesert Queensland Australia

Hails from Australia

I would like to join in please Maureen? I have just copied the lesson so I can take it with me to do tomorrow. No internet at our hall. I will upload the results tomorrow afternoon hopefully.
Thank you so much for all the time and hard work that must have gone into putting all this together and sharing it with us.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2014, 07:41 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Christine - you know you're always welcome! BTW, there's no hurry to finish anything but it's nice when you do/can share your work and method (yours is so unique!).

**My SAA website**
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2014, 07:53 AM
Texas

Hails from United States

Another wonderful lesson. Maureen you really put your heart into these PALs don't you?! I have read over everything twice, now I need to put it to practice. I've been afraid to tackle glass so we'll see how I do.

Wow Susan. You're fast out of the gate! Glad your muse is speaking to you again. I had that problem for quite a while but think I'm over it now. (Fingers crossed)

Such an excellent painting, Jim! I really don't understand the attitude of the judges. Good work is good work. IMHO yours is spectacular!

Nice work on the floats Cathy! You may grow to like paper better. I prefer it most of the time. Besides its cheaper I have actually gessoed over some paintings or starts of and it worked great. I hope you show your revised version of the painting.

Off the feed the animals before I head for the drawing board.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2014, 02:00 PM

Wow! Such great info.. Mum.. ur an amazing teacher
Just popped in to say hi!
I miss you guys in the acrylics forum but.. I have sort of stopped using acrylics.. use WSO for the most part... recently have been spending more time with pencil.. trying to improve my drawing skills and learning to draw the human figure .

Will surely bookmark this thread for reference when I paint glass next..

Jim - Your painting is absolutely stunning.. Don't let the judges beat you down. Your work is so much better than a photograph.. It is realism at the best...
Susan - Love your pallette... glad you found your muse again
old-hobbyist - Really nice harmonious work... very glass-like...