WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2013, 12:44 PM
Lord of the Arts
PA

Hails from United States
Re: PAINT-A-LONG: Still life on a black background.

Just realized all the postings so far - I must have stopped at page 1 when posting the question - "never mind" Pam
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2013, 12:57 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Texas

Hails from United States

Finally got started this morning. Black Gesso base, then mixture of UB and AC. When dry to touch, sketched in white charcoal. I've never painted on a dark background before so decided to keep it that way.Attachment 795170
Got some underpainting done. hooker's Green, UB/phthalo/white mixture for vase, titanium white/naples yellow, and vase mix for flowers--although you can't see them in the photo.

Attachment 795171
Attached Images

#48   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2013, 01:27 PM
Administrator
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

Pam, you can keep some of it for the darks, or for the background or cover it completely! Glad to see you.

Cindy that looks good, it's so hard to get a good photo of whites but I can see the yellows on my monitor (I have one of those big huge ones) and I like it!
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2013, 02:09 PM
A WC! Legend
In Her Own Mind & a few people in MS

Hails from United States

Thanks, Judy!

April, thank you! I was pleased to be able to pull that corner off...

Colin...sorry to be in a hurry...am regretting that now. I am totally laughing at myself right now!! Until I looked at yours I did not see the number of flowers correctly......I saw the lower one as one large fullblown flower, instead of two...lordy ...I guess I really need to start wearing my glasses more!! Really nice work on the vase handle, and I like your bg!

Virginia, I am pretty used to the color shift, after 5 yrs, but had not taken the black bg into acct. I should have... The two stores in town that carry art supplies, only carry a few acrylics...one has golden and a student grade called Louvre by Lefranc...the other liquitex and has Chroma A2 student grade. So unless I shop online I am a bit limited. I actually like the A2's...and they seem to be a bit better than some student grade paints. I have been lucky so far, and haven't gotten any really bad paint, as far as I can tell.

I have toned backgrounds before...and had forgotten how nice the effect is. I forget things way too much these days...

Cindy, yours is looking good!
"Who said one paints with colors? One employs colors, but one paints with feeling."

~Jean-Baptiste-Siméon Chardin
Susan's Soul________ Blog_______ Yessy
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2013, 03:26 PM
Victoria, Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada

Thanks Susan and Virginia

Susan, your painting is really nice, so you shouldn't have any doubts about moving forward quickly.

I realized from the last Paint A Long (when Maureen produced that huge mountain on the beach) that straying from the reference was not only permitted, but sometimes desirable. I like the idea of picturing the 3 flowers with a bit of deliberateness so I teased the middle one out. There is also a 4th lurking in the background behind the leaves, but I'm not sure if I'm going to paint it in or leave it out at this point. I think the odd number looks best.

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2013, 04:18 PM

Virginia, I love your painting. You have such a unique style. You use of black really makes the painting pop. I went back and looked at some of your older works and I am a huge fan of your artwork and style now
Susan, don't worry about being an early bird. Your painting is wonderful. I really like your flowers even though you missed seeing some
Stee, Colin and Cindy, Great start you guys. Looking forward to see how you go forward with them.

Well, I started mine also. I really wanted to stick to the ref pic and tried my best to play nice but my brush went rogue on me. I will post it later in the evening when I have time to explain my process a bit as well .
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2013, 04:44 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Phew, I'm late back to the party!

Susan - that has quite an impact and I like the way you handled the leaves too. that line really is looking like a corner of a room!

Stee - that's a really powerful start - I particularly like the vase treatment - the shapes of the marks.

Colin - this is very delicate - very nice start and lovely, graceful shape to the handle.

Hi Pam - jump in and join us

Cindy - Glad someone else has used colours in their black! ...... the shapes are already looking quite powerful

I got back to mine this afternoon, so I'll put in the next post

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2013, 05:13 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

A couple of hours this afternoon painting the flowers, leaves and vase - not quite finished but the light went and I didn't want to paint in the artificial light after the brighter daylight.

After I'd finished my b/g I decided I liked the colour, so up to now, I'm keeping it! ..... there are a couple of touch-ups to do (where I covered a couple of marks - badly!!)
I made the mistake of starting the sketch layout before it had properly dried.

I'm afraid it's not turning out like yours Virginia - and I so wanted it to!

I painted the flower heads first and used thick paint - it still allowed the black to come through when dried, so they've had more than one coat ..... I was really disgruntled with the first layers (ugly stage!) but a build up has improved them I think.

Then I tackled the leaves and lastly, the vase.

B/g colours - Cryla Indigo and Primary Magenta and W&N Payne's Grey.

Flowers - what was already on the palette! - (W&N)Titanium white, of course, plus touches of Chroma Atelier arylamide yellow light and deep, Liquitex brilliant blue , brill purple and med. magenta.
For the leaves, the same yellows and blues plus Liquitex Viridian.
The vase was Brill blue and white at first, plus some Ult. Blue and then a glaze of W&N Phthalo blue red shade.

I started the b/g with the indigo, then the Primary Magenta but should have used that colour first - finished off with the Payne's Grey.

On mountboard (matboard) roughly 8"x12" (19x29cm)

Background dry after all 3 layers-

And where I am now .....

Lol - I counted five tulips!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**My SAA website**
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2013, 05:29 PM

Maureen. It looks stunning. I love the glow in your flowers. You really captured the softness of the white flowers. I had such a hard time with the flowers. I like your vase too. It has the porcelain quality to it. I think I'm gonna need your help with the flowers when i post it later.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2013, 05:42 PM
A WC! Legend
In Her Own Mind & a few people in MS

Hails from United States

I am still chuckling over painting the whole thing, and not having the number of flowers correct... SOMEWHERE in my mad brain, I thought the title of the ref was TWO tulips...have no idea where that came from, as I have hunted thru' everything that might have given me that idea, and can find nothing. I even recall smiling when I found the hidden one behind the leaves as then there were three and not two...sheesh. I imagine it was also why I had trouble finding the one done a few yrs ago...

Colin, when I first started painting, I somehow thought you had to paint exactly what you saw...whether in a photo or real life...once I discovered artistic license, I was a much happier camper! I am still learning about that, and have so much to learn about composition, as my natural tendency is to center things with equal distances everywhere and to use numbers divisible by two with objects... which are all painting no no's. Must be the obsessive complusive in me?

Bhavani, thanks! I can't wait to see what your rogue paint brush did!

Thanks, Maureen! Love how your tulips have that lovely light inside! and thanks for finding the fifth tulip, so I can relax now.. I wondered why they were shaped so funny... Really lovely!
"Who said one paints with colors? One employs colors, but one paints with feeling."

~Jean-Baptiste-Siméon Chardin
Susan's Soul________ Blog_______ Yessy
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2013, 08:30 PM

OK! So I set out with best intentions but my painting had a mind of it's own. One thing led to another and this is what happened and here is how it happened . I wanted to click WIP pics but I was too busy arguing with the brush

Bg - I mixed my own black for the bg, mixing burnt umber, payne's grey, phalo blue and purple dioxide. I usually start painting directly as well. No sketching for me.

Vase - I was kinda impatient and started working on the vase before the bg dried completely. Vase was a mixture of phtalo blue and cerulean with white. I went for a simple shaped handle.

Flowers - I then started with the flowers. I had so much trouble with them. Either the shadows were too light and the whole flower looked like a blob of white or too dark (did not look like a white flower). I left it at too dark. Please help me fix it.

I was so mad at the flowers that I decided to make the bg more exciting. I had lots of left-over paint (from some previous paintings) in my palette and I had the sudden urge to use them all. So, I added yellows, oranges and reds, created lots of movement.At this point I felt the whole lower left half of the painting was too empty. So added an additional flower.

My leaves are basically viridian mixed with a lot of other colors from my palette. Added some additional leaves to support the drooping flower.

I hope it is ok that I took so many liberties. This could be an example of how you can use a ref pic as just a guideline and apply artistic license to modify as you please even if it is not intentional . More importantly, do these modifications work?

I need help with my flowers. I would greatly appreciate suggestions. Any other C&C also welcome.
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2013, 08:48 PM

Hails from Canada

Bhavani this is really glorious. I am taken by how some of the leaves seem to be stretching themselves into or transforming themselves into the 'air' which is itself alive and vibrant.

I also really like how the lowest tulip appears to be coloured by the reflected blue from the vase.

You were wise to surrender and let the brush have the upper hand!

#58   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2013, 08:51 PM

Hails from Canada

Maureen - your painting is very beautiful. Great glow on the tulips and your vase is really finely done too - even the detail.

Cindy - Sorry I overlooked your painting this morning. It benefits from a strong composition that fills the canvas. Looking forward to seeing more.

#59   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2013, 01:22 AM

Hails from Canada

Here is my next stage. I worked on the tulips and the foliage first. I decided in the end that the painting needed the extra shot of light that a 4th bloom would give, even if tucked behind some of the leaves.

Then I took a deep breath and decided to try to tackle adding more highlights and some detailing on the vase. I was quite happy with how the vase turned out. It has a reality and a solidity to it that I have rarely been able to achieve.

I may work on the tulips a bit more. They now seem a little impressionistic compared to the higher realism I hit with the vase. (I have already adjusted the band of 'beads' under the rim to make it a little less wonky, but haven't got a new photo.)

C & C welcome to help me move forward.

#60   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2013, 07:06 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Quote:
So I set out with best intentions but my painting had a mind of it's own
Bhavani I would not have expected anything else!
Please don't try to change your own style, because that's YOU, it's how you paint and a reference is ONLY a reference - perfectly acceptable to use it as a starting point and RUN.......

I really like the sheer vitality of this, it moves so much! I also like the added flower and they're not too dark at all - that lower one is a very sucessful tone. To white and it would have distracted the eye. Your leaves reflect the b/g (or vice-versa) and are very successful ....... so I wouldn't change anything!

Colin - What a beautifully painted vase - very 'solid' and well-formed. I also think that highlight on the twisted leaf is perfect.
I think, because of the style you've achieved with vase and leaves, just a little more work on the flower heads would compete this ..... a few darker/coloured tones would shape the petals and make the light parts shine brighter
Thank you for the comments on my piece - I may get to do a bit more today - hopefully.

**My SAA website**