WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2018, 11:01 PM

Hails from United States
Best places to expand beyond Art galleries and online?

I have been painting with acrylics for approximately 7 months now, and I currently have some of my artwork displayed at a local sewing shop/art gallery. My presentation will continue until the end of August, and fortunately there is no cost associated with the display, with only a 15% commission given to the shop owner should any of my work sell. All fairly reasonable. My question is; other than local coffeehouses and similar businesses, what other locations should I approach with my artwork? Another gallery expressed interest in my art, though expected a monthly fee of $60 in addition to a 35% commission. I declined. I have also submitted some of my work to the Art curator at the County Library Galleries. Any thoughts or suggestions would be very helpful.

I have attached a recent painting that is representative of my current series.
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2018, 01:16 AM
Enthusiast

Re: Best places to expand beyond Art galleries and online?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin2701
I have been painting with acrylics for approximately 7 months now, and I currently have some of my artwork displayed at a local sewing shop/art gallery. My presentation will continue until the end of August, and fortunately there is no cost associated with the display, with only a 15% commission given to the shop owner should any of my work sell. All fairly reasonable. My question is; other than local coffeehouses and similar businesses, what other locations should I approach with my artwork? Another gallery expressed interest in my art, though expected a monthly fee of $60 in addition to a 35% commission. I declined. I have also submitted some of my work to the Art curator at the County Library Galleries. Any thoughts or suggestions would be very helpful.

I have attached a recent painting that is representative of my current series.

$60 a month plus 35% can be a better deal than a no fee / higher commission gallery, especially if that $60 gives you space for several paintings - IF your work sells well. Obviously if nothing sells then you go in the hole $60 a month / $720 a year. We were in three separate monthly fee galleries for several years that ranged from $15 / month to $50 for a 4 to 6 foot wide wall. We looked at it also as advertising fees to get our name out there.

Example for a $1200 painting if you only sell one a month.

$60 a month plus 35% = $480 total in fees and commissions. $720 to you. At the end of 1 year selling one per month you will make $1440 more with this plan.

50% commission = $600 in commissions - $600 to you.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2018, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

Galleries that charge a monthly fee have no incentive to promote the artwork and so would most likely be a waste of money

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2018, 11:45 AM

Hails from United States

This particular gallery was an art cooperative, which also requested me to volunteer one day a week in the gallery, otherwise the monthly fee would have been $75. The available wall space was 4 feet by 6.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2018, 12:43 PM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

Wow, the artist collaborative gallery I belong to charges less than that per YEAR.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2018, 01:35 PM
Enthusiast

The key to whether the fees are worth it, would be whether or not your art sells in the co-op gallery. Sometimes the ONLY way you are going to get your art in a local gallery is by working with a co-op. Most well established galleries are not going to take on a newcomer with no track record.

Of the three we were in, only one had steady sales and was well worth the monthly fee as well as the time spent manning the gallery. We stayed in there for about a year and sold quite a few paintings, as much as 5 times what was sold in some of the individual standard commission type gallery we had work in at the time. The others were significantly slower so we only stayed there for a just a few months. Even without large numbers of sales, being on the wall in several locations, without question increased awareness of our artwork by the local art community which over time lead to better sales and getting in to better galleries later.

What I would recommend is to ask to see their sales records. If they aren't selling a goodly amount of art every month, the odds are pretty slim that your paintings will somehow magically sell when others do not. Also don't commit to a long term obligation. See if they will let you try it for 2 or 3 months. Also if you can figure out when the slow season is for your area, don't waste your time paying fees and manning the floor when nobody is around to buy the art. Tell them you only want to be in there during a specific time frame if they allow it.

Last edited by contumacious : 07-09-2018 at 01:40 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2018, 01:52 AM

Hails from United States

All very good points to consider.
I have opened the discussion with one of the owners of the co-op gallery, and was summarily denied the opportunity to display my work for less than a 1 year commitment. Therefore I will consider my current no fee artwork presentation that is currently on display, a blessing.
However, my main question remains; Where else would the group recommend to approach other than traditional galleries, coffeehouses, and the like?
I have already approached and submitted some of my work to the Art Curator for the county library system, and approached a few coffeehouse owners.
I'm uncertain as to what other opportunities remain.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2018, 03:54 AM
Veteran Member

-deleted.

Last edited by theBongolian : 07-10-2018 at 04:06 AM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2018, 06:45 AM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin2701
However, my main question remains; Where else would the group recommend to approach other than traditional galleries, coffeehouses, and the like?
There are competitions to enter, for one. You can find them by looking at artshow.com and artdeadline.com. Typically a competition will always have an entry fee. Watch out for galleries that run competitions as opposed to organizations; some galleries all they do is run competitions and make their money off the entry fees. Organizations should be less rigged. Competitions can be tough to get into, though. Online competitions tend to be worthless, in my experience.

There should be an organization for the arts in your state. You should contact it and see what kind of opportunities there are.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2018, 08:40 AM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States

Harold makes a good point. In most locations, throughout the U.S., there are local, state and regional watercolor organizations which hold meetings, offer programs and host competitions (including prize money) throughout the year.

Do some Googling for "watercolor organizations" to see what you may find.

Sling paint,
Virgil
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2018, 12:01 PM
A WC! Legend
Gainesville, Fl USA

Hails from United States

My best marketing tools are my newsletter and my mailing list.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2018, 01:54 PM
USA

Hails from United States

some? It looks like all art shows are about that: Just to make money for the organization or gallery organizing the show, making their money off the ENTRY fees. They don`t even care about promoting and selling the works, because they know it is not worthy off their effort.If it sells , good...if it doesn`t....so what, they made money anyway.