Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting How to ship a painting

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

I have to ship a 16×20 painting to Texas from Georgia. What is the best most cost effective method for packaging it? Thanks for any ideas!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]www.forbesimages.com

Shipping oil paintings is easier if the painting is framed as the frame acts as a stabilizer and protection.

I put a thick piece (1/2 inch) of foamcore or 1/8th masonite over the top and back so that it overlaps the whole thing by at least 1/4 inch on all sides. Tape these together securely so the painting is sandwiched between them. The frame provides a space between the top cover and the painting surface so that nothing touches the surface – this is ideal.

Then wrap the whole thing in bubblewrap (big bubbles) and tape it – again so everything is covered by two layers or more. Then put it into a box and pack paper around it so that it does not move inside the box.

This method is good for all but the most viscious mail handling.

Michael Georges
    www.fineportraitsinoil.com

For there are many who say that they have mastered the profession without having served under masters. Do not believe it, for I give you the example of this book: even if you study it by day and by night, if you do not see some practice under some master you will never amount to anything, nor will you ever be able to hold your head up in the company of masters.
    Cennino D'Andrea Cennini - "Il Libro dell' Arte."
    [/size]

Thanks Michael! That sounds really good.:)

JamieWG

Be sure you have a receipt for the full value of the painting from your customer, insure it for its full value, and have the shipper peek inside the box before you seal it up so that you have a witness that you packed it adequately. Don’t use UPS if you can avoid it, and keep your fingers crossed! If you do not have a receipt from your customer, they will only pay the cost of your materials, and not your time nor artistic talent.

Jamie

Hudson Valley Painter[/url]
        Hudson Valley Sketches -- Reviews/Lightfastness Tests/Art Materials
        [/url]
        One year from now, you'll wish you had started today.

KPowe

[i]Originally posted by JamieWG [/i]
            [B]If you do not have a receipt from your customer, they will only pay the cost of your materials, and not your time nor artistic talent.[/B]

Oooh, Jamie. Sounds like experience in that! Hope it wasn’t one of your favorites.

Kathy
            I'm not lost, I'm exploring!

JamieWG

Kathy, they stole my painting right out of the box!

[/url]

Deb McLaren

I can’t help but comment on UPS. They used to be a great carrier, but for whatever reason, the quality of their services has really suffered. I have received packages from them with footprints on them, etc., so I would indeed insure anything sent with them for full value.

The only other thing I would add for shipping is the addition of cardboard corners, and of course, overlapping the packing material so they go beyond the edges. That way, the package crushers just crush packing material and not the art.

You might also want to check out Fed Ex, I think their prices have become more realistic in the past couple of years, and they do have a good record.

Good luck shipping!

Jamie I am so sorry for your loss with UPS! How awful! I will definitely not use them. As a matter of fact they damaged a stereo that was shipped to me and I never did receive the value of it as my Aunt lost the papers! I would never ship through them. Thanks for telling me. And thanks Deb, I will check out FedEx and USPS both.

JamieWG

Steph, thanks for your condolences! There were six pieces in the box—all completely destroyed. They all had corners on them, were wrapped in hard foam and bubble wrap, etc. Three were missing when it was returned to me. (It never even reached its destination before being destroyed and sent back.) On appeal, they agreed to pay the full value of the insurance, but I did not insure it for enough. Even the three remaining, destroyed pieces were appraised for more than the insurance value, but of course I couldn’t get appraisals after the fact for the pieces that were mysteriously missing.

Jamie

[/url]

That is just Dreadful!!!! How long ago did this happen? I just can’t believe that they did that. What an artist’s nightmare!:crying: :mad: I would be fit to kill! Good Grief!

JamieWG

[i]Originally posted by Painter Snoopy [/i]
                            [B]That is just Dreadful!!!! How long ago did this happen? [/B]

It happened about two months ago. The appeal process took about a month. I should be getting a check any day now.

Jamie

[/url]

The suggestion of FedEx is a good one. If you think about it, the additional cost of overnighting the painting to the customer is worth every penny of the drastically reduced time that someone else will be handling your painting. When shipping takes days, sometimes your package can go through a lot of hands. FedEx costs more, but minimizes exposure time.

Michael Georges
                            www.fineportraitsinoil.com

For there are many who say that they have mastered the profession without having served under masters. Do not believe it, for I give you the example of this book: even if you study it by day and by night, if you do not see some practice under some master you will never amount to anything, nor will you ever be able to hold your head up in the company of masters.
                            Cennino D'Andrea Cennini - "Il Libro dell' Arte."
                            [/size]

HSargent

I shipped a 36 X 48 framed painting across the country by Fed Ex ground. It took a week but was only $23. You can also give instructions to place on top of piles.

The local UPS people recommended the Fed Ex.

Harry Sargent

[i]Originally posted by HSargent [/i]
                                [B]I shipped a 36 X 48 framed painting across the country by Fed Ex ground. It took a week but was only $23. You can also give instructions to place on top of piles.

The local UPS people recommended the Fed Ex. [/B]

That sounds great! This is just a 16×20 so I will definitely go that route. Thanks.

I know this is a TAD late but I’m sure people are still reading this thread for advice :)

I documented how I ship my paintings (complete with photos :)), and it has turned out really well… I haven’t had any damaged paintings yet!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                              • The topic ‘How to ship a painting’ is closed to new replies.