Home Forums Explore Media Clay How do you STOP Clay sticking to worksurface?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Northern Lass

It’s sending me nuts!!

Good morning all. Bought some Newclay (Air dry type) the other day. Thought I’d use Sunday morning to be creative, make a wall plaque. Not large, maybe 3″ x 7″. Started rolling the stuff to get a nice smooooth surface… THEN tried to pry it off of the work surface – the Kitchen worktop. IT WOULDN’T BUDGE!!!

Are there any ‘secrets’ I don’t know about please??

Can’t wait for your answers!!

Ange in a foggy-but-warm Lincolnshire Countryside

xx

[FONT=Arial]Ange in Lincolnshire, UK

Northern Lass

H2O_Baby

I haven’t used air-dry clay, but for Polymer clay you can coat the work surface with baby powder. Also I have not yet used this but a company named Ranger makes what they say are non-stick work surfaces. When working with PC you release it from a surface by running a thin razor sharp blade between the clay & surface to release from the work surface.

You can use a piece of suran wrap underneath or you can use a piece of slightly damp cloth. Or.. use a plastic place mat (usually used to put a plate on at a table) and roll out your clay on that…

If you want to take some of the moisture out of the clay you can roll the clay out between 2 sheets of paper. I like to use tracing paper.

Keep playing with the clay:clap:
            ~Tamara

[FONT=Arial Narrow]~Sculpturedolls
            [FONT=Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, fill your life with love,scatter sunshine, forget self, think of others. -Norman Vincent Peale

[FONT=Georgia]My website My Blog Join me on Facebook

For kiln fired clay, newspaper or canvas works fine.

Chae

I use newspaper. Works well.
                Chae

Zoep

I use a whole newspaper too when rolling out, have to keep lifting and taking away the top layer of paper before it gets too wet and sticks to the clay.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Website[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]

Northern Lass

Thanks Guys,
                        VERY much appreciated! Does the print come off the newspaper though onto the clay? It’s air-dry clay, don’t know if I said that already… After I’ve baked the Shortbread this morning, I’ll have a try of the Newspaper. Got loads of the stuff – Pete’s making ‘bricks’ to burn in the woodburner… We ARE old Hippies ya know… 8-D

Ange
                        x

Northern Lass

KatieOros

Thin plastic works for me ^_^ You can pick your piece up right off of it and if it sticks at all, you can peel the plastic away cleanly. Old bags from dry cleaners work well since they’re large. I don’t know how well seran wraps work, but I use old bags for my stuff ^_^

I always use canvas as it is porous and prevents the clay sticking, you could also use burlap or other cloth with a not too fine weave as long as it is a natural fibre to allow the moisture to penetrate.I have some rubber backed curtain material that is like canvas on the front and still breathes a bit, it works well too.
                            good luck.

Smiles from Sue in Oz.[/COLOR]
                            It is the Divine Right of everyone to be creative. Arthur Boyd.
                            http://www.glengallery.com.au

Northern Lass

KatieOros & grannyb, thanks! Just tried a large plastic bag and… it works fine!! Me thinks I’ll be using this method…

Ange in Lovely Lincolnshire

Northern Lass

Artista:)

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I cover a wood panel with fabric and staple good enough to avoid wrinkles, the most absorbent is better but I don’t like canvas because it leaves a texture on the clay. [/FONT]
                                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]I might use paper if the moisture of the clay is OK. :rolleyes: [/FONT]

[FONT="Arial"]Inspired on Mayan Ancient Art giving it a whimsical turn
                                    My Website FB fanpage ETSY Store

Heck I’ve known some that were so crazy about not having fabric texture they use silk to roll on…me if I don’t want the texture I just smooth it out.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.