WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#91   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2013, 04:03 PM
North East England.

Hails from England
Re: Paint-a-Long (P.A.L.): Exploring 'pizazz' in Still Life

Here's a variety of filters on the fruit bowl image ..

First, different levels of Posterization

and using the Topography filter

Choose one (or more!) and give it a try - small scale

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #92   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2013, 06:11 PM
A WC! Legend
In Her Own Mind & a few people in MS

Hails from United States

I wish I knew what to try...am working on one, but struggling not to make it look "right"... Have never really done well with abstract or really loose...sigh
"Who said one paints with colors? One employs colors, but one paints with feeling."

~Jean-Baptiste-Siméon Chardin
Susan's Soul________ Blog_______ Yessy
  #93   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2013, 06:36 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Susan - try 'dabbing' or'dotting' rather than 'stroking' with the brush - might work.
Try using purer colour and placing different colours/tones in adjacent dots (Impressionism and Pointillism) - say use a turquoise and a pink together and see what happens 'in the eye' .... turquoise, blue and green maybe. ...... orange and pink .... think of exciting combinations and let the eye do the mixing.

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**My SAA website**
  #94   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2013, 07:07 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Omaha, NE

Hails from United States

I understand your frustration, Susan. I'm working on a still life and trying to infuse it with a contemporary feel and a bit of pizazz. I enjoy the challenge but I am learning that it would certainly be easier to just paint from a reference. After painting over parts of the image with gesso several times I finally think I have a handle on where I'm heading. Now it's beginning to be fun!

I'm using a posterized version of the reference and several images of Carolee Clark's paintings as inspiration and they help get my creative juices going.
“If you’re not prepared to be wrong you’ll never come up with something original.” Sir Ken Robinson’s TED talk.
  #95   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2013, 12:03 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Sounds good Judy!
Welcome home

**My SAA website**
  #96   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2013, 03:58 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

For anyone who does not have a photo program...I just updated my Paint.NET program and added their plugin package...over 600 ways to manipulate and play...wow!! and it's FREE!! Paint-Net and the plugins....http://paint.net.amihotornot.com.au/...d/pluginspack/

Here's a couple more...can't seem to stop doing still life's now... Did not change the first one too much...and the second I used a vase and flowers from our ref library, tho' I changed the vase to a plain color, and then used ' color aberation' which put up 3 of the vases each in a primary color and then shifted them around on the paper...it was pretty cool to do. Not sure the painting totally does it justice...as I did not quite get the flowers identical...

They are both 9x12 paper...I really like this recyled bristol paper...it curls a bit, but not bad, and can be straightened out.

Both are a bit darker in real life...but when I tried to darken them I lost some of the color...so... I need to find a good place here at my daughters to take photos...
"Who said one paints with colors? One employs colors, but one paints with feeling."

#97   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2013, 04:00 PM
Victoria, Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada

Wow Susan, beautiful paintings. Your pears in the first one are fabulous. And you obviously had fun playing with the colours in the second.

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library
  #98   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2013, 04:06 PM
Victoria, Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada

Here is my latest reworking of one of the reference photos that Maureen recently put up, and that I submitted for last month's Different Strokes challenge. I have played with the background of the painting I did for the Different Strokes and think I like the warm yellow better than the cad orange:

(10 x 14 canvasboard)

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library
  #99   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2013, 04:29 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Susan - you're really on a roll with these! You're producing some really worthwhile paintings too.
The only tiny crit I have about the first (love the brushwork in this) is the line between pear and side of bowl ...... because both curve the same way they appear to be 'kissing' rather than overlapping.
I know I'm being very critical (it's years of observing students' work I'm afraid!). Not much you can do about it but extra shadow to give the bowl more form thee might help. Otherwise, excellent!
The second is a very creative interpretation ..... and it's just produced a thought in my head that the same idea could be used differing the tones of each vase/group ...... say pale/medium and dark either front to back or reversed!
Well done kiddo!

Colin - I liked this first time round and can't decide whether one is 'better' than the other! Looked at them side-by side too!
What I really like about this, find it exciting, is the juxtaposition of the turqoise and orange.

**My SAA website**
  #100   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2013, 04:48 PM
Omaha, NE

Hails from United States

Wow, Susan, both of these are wonderful! I love the background and the brushwork in the first and the colors in the second really sing! Good job!

Colin, I like this one a lot and agree with Maureen about the colors. The orange and turquoise really resonate together! I have one tiny comment on the grapes. To my eye, they seem to perch above the peaches and seem fairly separate from them. Perhaps they could cast shadows on the peaches or hang down a bit further to ground them? Just a thought.

Today, I finally finished my latest attempt at adding pizazz to still life. It's based on a reference from the RIL by Noreen and is on 11 x 14 canvas board. I used a posterized version and some paintings by Carolee Clark as inspiration on this.

On screen the color of the nectarine doesn't look quite as red as IRL. Otherwise it's pretty close.
“If you’re not prepared to be wrong you’ll never come up with something original.” Sir Ken Robinson’s TED talk.
  #101   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2013, 05:23 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Colin...love this...and Maureen is right...that turquoise and orange just sing!

Maureen, I see what you mean...had trouble with the shadows there, will see what I can do with it. And PLEASE do be 'critical'...you do it without meanness or cruelty, and it helps me grow! I occasionally get ruffled feathers and get defensive with some people's C&C, because it seems almost spiteful...but yours never does...so don't stop! That is what I like about these paint-a-longs...the learning! The challenges are great, but no one explains how they got where or what they ran into on the way. I am so grateful to you for sharing your wisdom!!

Judy...looks good enough to eat!

Thanks, Judy, Colin and Maureen for looking at mine... I do appreciate it!

#102   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2013, 06:20 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Judy - I like the way you treated this using stencil or printing to get that texture?
Colours are nice and strong too - and like the macro composition.

Do you feel you are finding ways to add pizzazz now? Are we being successful here?

**My SAA website**
  #103   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2013, 06:37 PM
Omaha, NE

Hails from United States

Oh yes, Maureen, we are being very successful in finding ways to add pizazz to still lifes! Your lesson, suggestions and links to other artists have been very helpful! before this P.A.L. I never would have thought to add stamping texture to fruit still life's. See what you've done? thank you so much for all your help!

Also, watching what others do and reading their comments add to the learning. These P.A.L.s are great.

BTW, the stamping texture was done with a piece of rubberized non-skid pad for throw rugs. Works a treat.

Thanks Susan for your kind comment!
  #104   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2013, 06:59 PM
Mt High Utah

Hails from United States

Wow,really colorful and fun stuff to look at. Diane