Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Are colored pencil works called paintings?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Winnieike2

I have a question: What do you call a finished work done in colored pencil? Is it a painting or a drawing? Just wondering what you all thought.
        Thanks!
        Tammy

That is a box of needles… there is controversy if a colored pencil drawing can be called painting on some cases (while on other cases it obviously is not).

Some people consider it a painting when the pigment was dissolved with oil, alcohol, etc… and created a uniform cover over the paper. Some people do not consider it a painting because the pigment came from a round tube of wood and not from a brush or from a knife.

Some extremists do not consider it a painting even when it is an acrylic painting with colored pencil details.

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

Pingpongfan

We had this discussion some time back and I seem to remember it was decided that coloured pencil was called a drawing. Maybe Elaine can find the post although it may be like looking for a needle in a haystack.
            Vena

Winnieike2

Thank you, tiago.agonstini for your reply. A box of needles, eh? Yes, I can see that. I posted the same question in another forum and I’ve opposing view. I wasn’t sure what to call what I’m obsessed with. I try to avoid the whole subject by calling finished pieces “renderings” although I feel that’s not entirely appropriate. I have several books on colored pencil and each one calls their finished pieces both paintings and drawings.
                Perhaps the best answer I’ve read was “a painting is anything I put colored pigment on. The implements used to push the pigment into the surface is insignificant.” Using that as a definition I think I’d call them paintings.

Winnieike2

Thanks, Vena! I aopreciate your answer. And, I’ll do some digging through the forums and see if I can find the discussion. It would be interesting to read!

Dcam

It seems pastel works are always called “paintings” but the process still involves dragging dry media across a surface.

KarenESP

I call mine colored pencil paintings sometimes.. and when I put them on line, sometimes I list them under multiple catergories if possible, CP, painting…. etc. Especially when I take it to be framed and people say, I thought that was a painting.

ocmd123

We had this discussion some time back and I seem to remember it was decided that coloured pencil was called a drawing. Maybe Elaine can find the post although it may be like looking for a needle in a haystack.
                                Vena

Haha! I’m certain there are multiple threads discussing this point. Because, there is no definitive answer. Call them what you want. It’s strictly a matter of opinion. I call mine drawings. In my mind, pastel works are also drawings. Using the term painting seems like an effort to elevate what many consider to be an inferior medium. Personally, I don’t understand that. I draw and I paint. Painting is much easier. I proudly call my colored pencil work drawings, and smile proudly (and a little smugly :smug: ) when someone is astonished in learning that it’s not a painting. “You did that with pencils??” Yep. I sure did. :lol::smug:
                                So, I googled and this came up. Easier than going back through the archives! :eek::lol: Have at it! :)

Save
                                Save

ELAINE~ Moderator-Colored Pencil Forum ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to the forum? Visit the Welcome Thread ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to CP? Check out the CP Libray Index for information about about pencils, paper, sharpeners.[FONT=Times New Roman]
                                Instagram

Save

We just need to start a new definition:

I here therefore rule that all picture rendered in paper or canvas, whose main means of depicting color is trough application of colored pencils to be called a POTATO!

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

Garden Maker

But I think it should be called PO-TAH-TOE!

:lol: :lol:

I suppose the difference to many people is whether a dry medium or a liquid medium was used. What about works that use both? A watercolor base with CPs over top – drawing or painting? Perhaps we should just call them works of art. :wink2:

[FONT=Arial]Sharie

[FONT=Arial]Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Winnieike2

Bwahahahaha! Yes, Po Ta to it is! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤪🤪
                                        ocmd123, thank you for providing the link to the previous forum. Wow, this is a conundrum. I’m beginning to see a familiar pattern in the comments.. It seems, in order to be taken seriously by others, the word “painting” is preferred over “drawing.” I wonder when and why painting became considered a higher art form then drawing? I’ve seen drawings that were so well executed they made me cry.
                                        Maybe it’s because when people hear the words “colored pencil” they conjure up thoughts of coloring images in coloring books. They don’t understand or know the creativity and medium often goes well beyond coloring in segments, or the pigment lean pencils we used in elementary school.
                                        Or, maybe it’s because pencils utilize a hard point, not wide brush, to apply the pigment to the surface. But if that’s the case, then what are renderings that have been executed using palette knives, stumps, fingers, tissues, etc… called?
                                        At first I was a little dismayed learning colored pencil is the “lesser medium,” but, like most things in life, I guess the only thing that matters is my own opinion. Regardless of wether it’s a painting or a drawing, I’m having such a good time learning to use colored pencils,and I’m proud of many of the things I create. I think we can all agree that wether it’s a painting or a drawing, it’s art. To create and be creative, to be allowed to express ourselves freely through the medium of our choice is our common goal.

ocmd123

We just need to start a new definition:

I here therefore rule that all picture rendered in paper or canvas, whose main means of depicting color is trough application of colored pencils to be called a POTATO!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ELAINE~ Moderator-Colored Pencil Forum ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to the forum? Visit the Welcome Thread ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to CP? Check out the CP Libray Index for information about about pencils, paper, sharpeners.[FONT=Times New Roman]
                                            Instagram

Save

Attalus

I just call mine pictures. Can’t beat that. :)

Bill was a long time valued member of our community who passed away after a lengthy illness. We will miss him. Rest in peace.

"Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves that they have a better idea."- John Ciardi

My dA page:http://attalus.deviantart.com/

frida

I understand that when the tool that made the PO-TAH-TOE in question (:cat: ) makes lines, it produces a drawing.

Now… If the PO-TAH-TOE was made with a pencil, but there are no obvious lines, or contours outlining the forms, and the planes show due to shading, being the tool a pencil or a brush dipped in paint, it can be called a painting.

But… If someone gets a fine brush, dips it in paint and makes lines but no planes, would that be a carrot or what else??? :lol:

Raquel from Toronto, CDA

Violet Roses

I personally just call them “colored pencil artworks” since they can vary in style and technique and don’t seem to fit neatly into either the drawing or painting categories.

I love mixed media!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 85 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.