Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing ISO Turner Brand WC Paint Pigment Reviews

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Bastet469

Hi,
        I recently discovered Turner Concentrated Artists’ Watercolor brand paint on sale at Jerry’s Artatrama. I’m tempted to try them, but they seem too good to be true. There are very few useful online reviews covering things like pigment quality. This is why I posted my inquiry here instead of the Watercolor forum. If the mods have to relocate my thread to the watercolor forum, I apologize for troubling them.

The main reason this brand interested me was because the majority of the colors are derived from single pigments including costly cadmium, cerulean and quinacridone. On the Jerry’s website You can click the little yellow box icon below the prices to see the color index numbers or download the color chart from the company headquarters in Japan, Turner Colour Works, LTD[/URL].

My suspicion comes from the fact that the company classifies the paints as professional grade but the prices are significantly lower than the other pro brands and some high-end student brands. That typically means trouble.

So does anyone out there have experience with Turner Artists’ Watercolors? *especially cerulean & the quins

wendy

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"I like kids' work more than work by real artists any day."
        -Jean-Michel Basquiat [FONT=Palatino Linotype]
        Boy and Dog in a Johnnypump

Patrick1

I guess you’ll have to try them yourself to find out. Maybe just a sampling of a few of the colors that are most important to you like Cerulean Blue and the Quinacridones. And ideally compare side-by-side with the recognized top-quality watercolors to see how much of a difference there is.

From my experience, the relationship between quality and price is slightly to moderately loose. If you’re willing to try various brands (whether oils, acrylics, or watercolors) some will be standouts in their price category.

flowerfan

Thanks for publishing the links to the company and the chart. I was having trouble finding them sorting through all the retail outlets online. If you zoom in on the Jerrys listings, you can see that some of the pigments are listed there, but the zoom level required blurs the text.

I personally am suspicious of the practice of the Japanese companies to use a misleading name. “Turner” may lead some artists to think these paints are from England; I once heard a demonstrating artist claim Holbein was a German brand.

If you look at the color chart, it is very comprehensive which is impressive, cross-referencing the color pigment names with the industry standard numeric codes. However, despite the single pigment claim, quite a few of the paints are two pigment, and several have three.

I also see an odd disparity between the colors listed at Jerry’s and the Actual Turner chart. I do not see the Wine nor Evergreen on the Turner chart. Very odd.

Ann
                from Napa Valley, California
                Mythrill

If they use the colors they do (I see no reason why), then there’s no reason to avoid them. Colors seem to be sound.

Maybe colors are cheaper because many colors from artists’ supplies come from China. Since they are geographically close to China, raw pigments might cost less to them.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
                  • The topic ‘ISO Turner Brand WC Paint Pigment Reviews’ is closed to new replies.