Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Sun Thickend Linseed vs. Stand Oil?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Quality

I’ve used stand oil but have never used sun thickened linseed. I’m aware of the differences in the manufacturing process, but am curious as to how the two vary when it comes to handling & properties.

Anonymous

They have similar viscosities, brushing qualities and leveling, but sun thickened dries faster, stand oil dries slower and yellows less.

WFMartin

They have similar viscosities, brushing qualities and leveling, but sun thickened dries faster, stand oil dries slower and yellows less.

That is pretty much as I have understood the differences to be, also. the primary difference is in the “yellowing”, as I understand it.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Ron Francis

I’ve used stand oil but have never used sun thickened linseed. I’m aware of the differences in the manufacturing process, but am curious as to how the two vary when it comes to handling & properties.

Yes, I agree with Sid and Bill.
                    They are very different beasts.
                    As well as being less yellowing, modern stand oil also creates a stronger more robust film. It is a slow drier.
                    On the other hand, sun thickened oil is made by exposing it to oxygen so that it becomes partly oxidized. That is, the viscosity is caused by it starting to cure. This gives it a head start in the drying curve but Mayer speculates that this may weaken it’s adhesive properties to some extent.

I haven’t used sun thickened oil either, but stand is self leveling so brush strokes are less visible, whereas I believe sun thickened retains brush strokes more.
                    Sid, have you found levelling to be similar?

Ron
                    www.RonaldFrancis.com

Anonymous

Well, the only sun thickened I used was in a copal medium from Blueridge and it was thinned with a good amount of turpentine, so I can’t say that I could tell the diff very well, so yes it may retain brushstokes more than stand oil, not sure.
                        I have used stand oil in my own mediums because I have also read that it is superior performing compared to sun thickened, as you have mentioned.

Gigalot

I use sun-thickened oil, but I had never tried Vacuum bodied stand oil. Sun-thickened oil is acidic. It can wet pigment particles better, than thermo-vacuum oil. Sun-thickened oil contains a lot of hydroperoxides and dries quickly.

I guess, it is no reason to change stand oil to sun-thickened if you need to use it in oil mediums. Both will work well. But if you like to make a paint from pigment powder into grinding oil, than low viscosity and heated sun-thickened oil is great. It is the best oil I ever tried for this purpose.
                            I also heard, that Stand oil is poor for grinding purpose. It is low acidic, poor wetting and too much viscous.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                          • The topic ‘Sun Thickend Linseed vs. Stand Oil?’ is closed to new replies.