Home Forums Explore Subjects Figure, The Cowgirl Relaxn’

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    bobbymac

9″x12″ oil on wood panel. This piece was created for our art group’s January exhibit of the figure. All C&C most welcome. I can use the feedback on future works. Thank you looking. Bob

This is a really accomplished painting. So tricky to paint a figure in such a small format.
        I like the dark background and red top. I think the hat gets lost in the background- and it is an important part of the story. Good luck for the show!

bethany
        moderator in figures & portraits blogs: artbybethany life-presence
        website www.bethanyart.com
        My inspiration is art... because without art, we would just be stuck with reality. ~Daniel R. Lynch

IndianaKate

A successful painting. I like lost edges, but I agree with Bethany that a little lighter highlights on the hat would be good. The figure feels right, however.

Kate

123harry

Nice.I like the bottle! The business on the right with the boots may be slightly distracting but overall the effect is very convincing.

C&C always welcome.
                Instagram harry.hamill

bobbymac

Bethany: Thank you for the comment on the contrast of the background and shirt. I also like that bit. The figure was done mostly from life and I changed the background and added the straw bale for affect. I agree that the hat gets lost. Once I get the painting back I will slightly lightened the background around the hat.

Kate: Thank you for your comments. I have just recently discovered edges and am trying to employ them in my paintings. Maybe went a little overboard with the hat.

Harry: Thank you. The 1921 Tequila bottle was snagged from the our Still Life groups props shelf. I see what you mean about the boots. I had softened the edges in an attempt to take them out of focus. What would you suggest? Darken them? Paint them out? Crop?

123harry

I think it’s the very prominent boot top on her right leg. Maybe just make it slightly darker? It seems to produce a ‘flicker’ in the eye but that could just be me. You certainly don’t want to be making any major changes to what is a very nice picture.

C&C always welcome.
                        Instagram harry.hamill

bobbymac

I think it’s the very prominent boot top on her right leg. Maybe just make it slightly darker? It seems to produce a ‘flicker’ in the eye but that could just be me. You certainly don’t want to be making any major changes to what is a very nice picture.

Thank you for the suggestions Harry. There is a highlight on her right boot top edge that could be toned down. The V of the same boot seems to be drawing attention as well. That could be softened too. Thank you for the compliment, I will try not to mess it up. :thumbsup:

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.