Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Bigfoot

Thought I had my color scheme figured out…!
        Whitetail deer, bucks in particular, will make scrapes (dig the ground) in the fall as a way to advertise their presence. They will typically make these under a licking branch, and I wanted to try and depict this behavior in this scene.

I wanted cool colors in the background and the deer, and scrape area at his feet, to have warmer colors. I also wanted the licking branch to come forward from the rest of the scene but, looks like, the busyness of the willow on the left edge, has made it more difficult to see the licking branch. It certainly doesn’t come forward or seem obvious, like I hoped. Probably too many warmish colors in that willow but, at this point, not something I am too anxious to revisit. The branch comes through as black but is really a dark red/brown. Any suggestions on how to improve this branch?

More work to do on the rest as well, but getting close to calling it done. Feel free to offer any other suggestions.
        Thanks for looking.

Bigfoot

Hmmm.
            The photo is quite fuzzy (took with an old point and shoot camera, and resized so the quality is poor). Hope it is clear enough!

Orchid Lady

The easiest solution would be to pop some light color on parts of the branch so it moves “forward”. I would think that you could justify some reflected light on that branch due to the light from the sunrise/sunset in the background. Just a thought….

fedetony

Like it as is…no suggestions

Federico Garcia
                    My Blog
                    C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

Triduana

It’s a lovely painting and I love the balance of warm and cool colours. I also like that the buck is part of the landscape, and we see some of his behaviour. I agree with Orchid Lady that some highlights on the branch and its leaves would help it stand out a bit more from the background. :)

Kay D - Edinburgh, Scotland

So long, and thanks ...

Joe’sHottie

I agree with the previous comments on showing some reflected light on that licking branch – it did blend in and I almost didn’t see it until you mentioned it. However, one other suggestion – I would vary the height of the wall of tress in the background – they just seem too ‘placed’ to me and my eye seems to stick along that line. Otherwise, it’s a beautiful painting and I really like how you rendered the deer and antlers.

Angie
                            "If you don’t believe your Creator, ask your Redeemer how precious you are.” St. Eucharius
                            www.leggioart.com

Bigfoot

The easiest solution would be to pop some light color on parts of the branch so it moves “forward”. I would think that you could justify some reflected light on that branch due to the light from the sunrise/sunset in the background. Just a thought….

That’s what I needed to remember.
                                Yellow is one of the colors that fades first as you go back. I know that…but it didn’t click until I read this. Yellow in the sky – so mix a yellow/brown as a branch color should help bring it forward. Just one of those brain blocks….! Thanks! I’ll try it and see how it works, but pretty sure it will certainly help!

CaliAnn

I think this is a lovely painting – I agree with Angie though, those background trees look too uniform to me too, almost like a wall.

The sky is gorgeous!

Ron

Fantastic piece here! Just a few minor tweaks, as suggested by others, would help work out your issues….easy fix :) Much enjoyed!

talisman

Lovely colors and textures, I like it!

Dianna WC! Guide: Fantasy/Sci-Fi Art
                                            C and C always welcome.
                                            My DeviantArt Gallery

This is a lovely painting and with a few colour tweaks, it is going to be even better. Looking forward to the finish with the warmer colour reflected in a branch or two.

Chammi
                                            My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades

Bigfoot

Thought I would put up the finished product.

Not sure if I achieved having the licking branch come forward. Tried a few things and settled on adding another branch above, and a warmer color than previous. Might not come through well on the picture but, in person, I am pleased with it. Also tried ‘oiling out’, something I have only heard about recently. Some areas of color had sunk it and become matte – oiling out with a very light coat of linseed brought back a lot of depth and color.
                                                Thanks for looking everyone. All the best for 2018!
                                                Oil on hardboard
                                                14X18″

Beautiful!

Christel

fedetony

yes, it is beautiful… :)

Federico Garcia
                                                    My Blog
                                                    C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

Really lovely. Sign it. It is a winner!

Chammi
                                                    My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.