Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Amity

I can’t really afford many pre-cut mats for my watercolors, so I bought an inexpensive Logan cutter and some matboard, etc. I have had a few successes, but aside from my arthritic fingers, I can’t seem to keep my straight edge from slipping, however careful I am.
        I use either a metal carpenter square, or a steel ruler with a cork backing, but manage to shift the straight edge every time. It wouldn’t be so bad if I didn’t need to make at least 3 cuts to get it done.
        I am careful to change blades and follow the directions and all but I still manage to ruin too many of them.

Steve Collins

The immediate answer might be a straightedge with an antislip surface, rubber or cork usually. The better solution is to get a better mat cutter, but hard to justify the expense if you don’t plan to use if a lot. In any case, stay away from the cheap ones. They generally do a poor job.

ddattler

I’ve had 2 Art galleries offering custom Picture framing as well. I have several logan mat cutters. The logan 301 compact system has it’s own straight edge and backstop that makes it easy to get a straight cut and sets the mat width as well. It runs about $99.00 on Amazon, but there are a lot of good used ones for less on Ebay. Youtube has videos that can help with using the systems out there. With arthritis you may find the push type cutters more comfortable and easier to control.. Or, If your Logan 4000 has nylon guides you may find the Logan Adapt-a-rule is sufficient to do the task. $45 amazon.com.

Don Dattler

http://wildlifearts.com
                Practice what you know, and it will help to make clear what now you do not know. ~ Rembrandt

In Art, Learning to see is at least as important as the actual creation of Art. ~ George Benedict,

vpcs111fm

I totally hear your pain. Cutting a mat board with your hands is labor intensive and not as precise as the ones cut by computerized mat cutter (CMC).

I would recommend order one online. Try Custom Mat board. I have used their service.

They are very cheap and deliver even if its only one mat. I think they delivery to anywhere in Canada & USA.

Cheers!

pine-tree

Or, if you still want to give it a try: Don’t press very hard.
                        Instead, repeated light strokes will prevent things from moving around, make the cut straighter, not hurt your hands (at least, not as much), and not stress you out.
                        Plus, it’s the way I was taught by the experts.
                        YouTube should have some good examples —but some bad ones too, heh.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.