Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Fast question on how to clean brushes turpentine

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Hans35

Hi, first of all, I’m new to the forums, so hi

Secondly, I’m gonna start oil painting soon. I already have the paper, going to buy some brushes and color today. However, all this is quite confusing to a newcomer, and I have some concers, maybe one of you could help me out just a slight bit? Would be VERY much appreciated!

First of all, I’m gonna be painting in my bedroom / living room (or kitchen if that’s better. point is, my apartment is quite small).
        I’d like to start with traditional oils, but I’ve heard they give off some powerful fumes which are bad to breathe in. Is that true? (I have a dog and no garage)

Secondly, I’m very unsure on what to use to clean your brushes. Some have told me they use terpentine (which is toxic?) and some use turpenoid, others (I think) said that they use some kind of oil to cleanse them?? And others again just use soap and water. So: Is it really neccesary to use turpentine / oid, or can you do with something more natural? I’m not really in for the toxic stuff.

Thanks alot for any answers and sorry for the stupid questions, but I’m a bit confused

!becca

Hi! And, welcome to the forum and oils. No, your paint will not give off toxic fumes..do be careful handling it not to consume any though. And, no, you don’t need to use turp..of any kind, if you don’t want to. Soap and water will clean your brushes nicely.

Becca “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
            Becca's Fine Art

Hans35

Hi! And, welcome to the forum and oils. No, your paint will not give off toxic fumes..do be careful handling it not to consume any though. And, no, you don’t need to use turp..of any kind, if you don’t want to. Soap and water will clean your brushes nicely.

Hey, thanks for the quick reply :)

So you’re saying that soap (a special oil painting soap, right?) and water is sufficient for cleaning the trad. oil paints, and not just the water ones? Because everyone says something different. :)!

Gigalot

If you have expensive brushes then use natural turpentine in special closed glass can. It can wash paint away completely.
                    If you does not need to keep your brushes in well conditions when use what you want or what you are thinking! Most of us like to use OMS, but it is less effective cleaner than turpentine.

Oil painting emits aldehyde, ketone and e.t.c during it`s dying time. Therefore it is slightly toxic. But after about one month it will be completely safe. :)

Hans35

If you have expensive brushes then use natural turpentine in special closed glass can. It can wash paint away completely.
                        If you does not need to keep your brushes in well conditions when use what you want or what you are thinking! Most of us like to use OMS, but it is less effective cleaner than turpentine.

Oil painting emits aldehyde, ketone and e.t.c during it`s dying time. Therefore it is slightly toxic. But after about one month it will be completely safe. :)

Hi =)

Expensive, not really. My brushes are 6-7$ each.

And if it’s slightly toxic, maybe it’s not so good to have in my bedroom / apartment? Or what?

PS: nice atachment, lol :D

!becca

Hey, thanks for the quick reply :)

So you’re saying that soap (a special oil painting soap, right?) and water is sufficient for cleaning the trad. oil paints, and not just the water ones? Because everyone says something different. :)!

I recommend Master’s Brush Cleaner, it works very well..it is made especially for use with oils..other soaps can be used, but I do think it conditions better.

Becca “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
                            Becca's Fine Art

Hans35

I recommend Murphy’s Oil Soap, it works very well..it is made especially for use with oils..other soaps can be used, but I do think it conditions better.

Okay, thanks. What about when cleaning your brush inbetween? I guess soap would take too long, so either I’d need two sets of each brush, or turpentine. Am I right?

!becca

Okay, thanks. What about when cleaning your brush inbetween? I guess soap would take too long, so either I’d need two sets of each brush, or turpentine. Am I right?

Geezzee..my mind is not working…scratch that …Master’s Brush cleaner!!! for cleaning in between, just wipe with a dry towel, and try to use more than one brush if contamination is a problem

Becca's Fine Art

Hans35

[B]Geezzee..my mind is not working…scratch that …Master’s Brush cleaner!!![/B] for cleaning in between, just wipe with a dry towel, and try to use more than one brush if contamination is a problem

Ok, ty for your help.

And lastly, what about painting indoors? I can’t tell really if it’s bad or not :-)

!becca

Ok, ty for your help.

And lastly, what about painting indoors? I can’t tell really if it’s bad or not :-)

I wouldn’t worry that much about it…you can always crack a window if you are really concerned…the amount of paint you will be using presents minimal risks.

Becca's Fine Art

Hans35

I wouldn’t worry that much about it…you can always crack a window if you are really concerned…the amount of paint you will be using presents minimal risks.

Thank you so much for helping me out then, much appreciated!!

Lastly, just to summarize briefly before buying the stuff:

>Some traditional winton oil paints and brushes. For cleansing, a towel, water and paint soap (Master’s brush cleaner)

No turpentine / toxics needed.

And painting in a small apartment is safe for your healthy.< Is this correct?? Once again, thanks!

!becca

Thank you so much for helping me out then, much appreciated!!

Lastly, just to summarize briefly before buying the stuff:

>Some traditional winton oil paints and brushes. For cleansing, a towel, water and paint soap (Master’s brush cleaner)

No turpentine / toxics needed.

And painting in a small apartment is safe for your healthy.< Is this correct?? Once again, thanks![/QUOTE] :thumbsup: got it!

Becca's Fine Art

Gigalot

Hi =)

And if it’s slightly toxic, maybe it’s not so good to have in my bedroom / apartment? Or what?

PS: nice atachment, lol :D

Better to keep a fresh picture outside bedroom 10 or even 15 days. Dried paint loose 70% of it`s weight due to release of volatile substances.
                                                        (When the painting become no longer smell, you can safely put it to the bedroom. :D :D)

If you use oil medium with damar varnish, then soap foam can`t wash it completely. Wash it in oil first and after with soap and water. Some of my brushes i like most of all and like to take care with them :D

Carcharhinus

I keep a little jar of linseed oil for cleaning brushes while painting. Sometimes just wiping on a towel is enough, sometimes soaking the brush in a bit of oil gets the paint off better. I clean with soap after a painting session, or sometimes if I can’t be bothered cleaning thoroughly after I have just painted, I leave my brushes suspended in an old paint tin with some mineral spirits in the bottom. This stops the paint drying out and dissolves some of it so it’s easy to clean before I start my next painting session.

If you’re not using turps or spirits the only fumes you will have to contend with is the meaty smell of the linseed oil. It’s not harmful but it makes me hungry.

Hans35

I keep a little jar of linseed oil for cleaning brushes while painting. Sometimes just wiping on a towel is enough, sometimes soaking the brush in a bit of oil gets the paint off better. I clean with soap after a painting session, or sometimes if I can’t be bothered cleaning thoroughly after I have just painted, I leave my brushes suspended in an old paint tin with some mineral spirits in the bottom. This stops the paint drying out and dissolves some of it so it’s easy to clean before I start my next painting session.

If you’re not using turps or spirits the only fumes you will have to contend with is the meaty smell of the linseed oil. It’s not harmful but it makes me hungry.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I’ve got some oil color now and brushes and paper, some “brown soap” (which should be good for cleaning brushes) and a towel.

So you use linseed oil to clean with afterwards too, you don’t usually use turp? It’s a bit confusing :P But to make the oil paint thinner, can I use linseed oil for that? Or water? Or how?

Ty for replies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘Fast question on how to clean brushes turpentine’ is closed to new replies.