Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Grid method help

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    evan3585

I can draw decently good but wanting to be exact from a image I have and use the grid method. I watched this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWJcWMzHbi4 and going to do it the same way with photoshop but my problem is that my canvas is 10×14 and paper size is smaller and from Ive read the grid needs to be a 1:1 ratio. I suck at math and not sure if there is any other way to fix this so any help would be great. Thanks

RockettQueen

Is the picture just smaller or also a different aspect ratio?

If you’re doing the grid with photoshop, use the rectangular marquee tool set to “fixed aspect ratio”, width 10, height 14 (or 5 and 7). Draw a rectangle and crop to make the photo the same ratio as your canvas.

Then draw your grid. If you’re doing 1″ squares on the canvas, divide the short side of the photo by 10 to determine the square size. (ie if the photo is 5×7″, squares will be 1/2″)

evan3585

Thanks starting to get it but still a little confused and sorry I really suck at math and measurements lol.
                What is this 5 and 7? and divide the short side(width 10 for me) to have 10 squares?
                The image is taken from a movie screenshot that is 16:9. If it doesnt fit perfectly on sides and/or bottom thats fine I can just fill in a dark background and do some blending.If I have to stretch the image that is fine as well as long as its not too much. My main thing is getting the squares to be the same on painting and the image with the different sizes. I know the basics in Photoshop using transform,resizing and so on.

RockettQueen

It is important that it fits perfectly to be able to draw the squares correctly. They don’t need to be the same size, but you do need the same number of them. Here’s a visual that may help.

RockettQueen

Another option, if you don’t want to crop the photo, is to extend the top and/or bottom. With additional made up background or whatever.

It’s the same process, divide the long side by 14 to figure out how big to make the squares. You’ll just have some blank ones to fill on the canvas at the top and/or bottom.

evan3585

Wow thanks so much! That is explained very well. The images really helped me out to understand it:)

evan3585

Couldnt edit last post for some reason sorry for double post but found a tutorial on creating a grid in photoshop where u can print with the grid for anyone else wanting to do this.http://www.tutsforps.com/Photoshop-Tutorials/Photo-processing/Create-a-printable-grid.htm

Update: I had to do a few different things that wasnt explained in that tutorial so if you need help with that post here. You got to make sure the pattern created is transparent(checkered).
                                Also make sure to messure your canvas yourself. I have a Fredrix canvas that says 10×14 and was off by up to 5 centimeters.Messed me all up.

FloatingDove

I have always struggled with grids, and after some research, I found using the below design to transfer a drawing needs no measuring…I think the video was from Jerry’s Artarama…

My cat is the inspiration for my paintings. Cassandra is in all my paintings, as she wants to live in a better world. She and millions of her feline family are suffering silently needlessly. https://www.facebook.com/OilPaintingsofCatDreams/
                                    mariposa-art

I like Floating Dove’s suggestion.

I don’t often use grids (not saying they’re bad, just that I don’t often use them). I have a few times used a very large “grid” just so I can get the placement in the canvas, as I sometimes get my images misplaced or too far to one side or another (a problem which really I should work on conquering!).

What I do is take the reference photo in Photoshop, and, knowing what size my “target” canvas is going to be (8×10? 9×12 or whatever) I place a “frame” of that size on the reference image (or crop it to that size) and then divide the image into 4 parts. A halfway line each way. (So for an 8×10 canvas, I’d draw a line 4 inches down from the top, and 5 inches across from the side.) So there are now 4 boxes on top of the image. I then do the same with the canvas. This is enough to get the placement right, without having to mess with a whole lot of little squares. (Which again I am not saying are bad, but are too much of a hassle for me.)

Greggo

I find figuring out what size the squares are going to be is easier to accomplish when I keep it simple.

if my photo (original) is 8″ wide X 11″ high = mark off 2″ squares
                                            the canvas is 16 X 20 = mark off 4″ squares

I find if I print off the original on my computer printer in black & white first it does 2 things- makes me focus on pure shapes and gives me an idea of the values. I can also draw the squares in black ink without guilt or damaging the original.

drawing the lines on the canvas or other surface is trickier. I rarely use pencil as the lines may show through on the painting. diluting the oil paint with blending medium allows you to draw the shadowy lines and they will just disappear later. they are just a general guide anyway. I also do the preliminary sketch in a very thin oil also.

Learning these things was easier in a classroom for me. I enjoy the company of others and learn from them, too.

trying to learn these things on the web or self-study from books is harder for me. and not everyone has the time or access to a nice local community college like I do.

glad you are here and asking questions, don’t know if i helped or not.

greg

then the number of squares could be squares

https://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/17-Jul-2013/110200-Tatrabanner.jpg [FONT=Times New Roman] Click here for>> WC FAQS >

Carcharhinus

I found that if you use the cheap canvas boards those things are awful with their dimensions, particularly W&N. I’m trying to do the grid method now to transfer a drawing accurately and the dimensions on the thing are all over the place.

I think it should be somewhere in the area of 16 x 20 inches. It’s more like 15.75 x 20.5 with about 1/8 of an inch over in places. Doesn’t sound like much but I’ve had to get some right angles out to fix the dimensions on my grid.

llawrence

I think FloatingDove’s suggestion is a great one – I’ve just started incorporating diagonals in my grids, and I’m pleased with the different approach – good for planning composition.

In any case, I definitely recommend using as loose a grid as possible. I always shudder a little when I see folks using hundreds of little centimeter-sized modules to get their drawing in. No criticism intended, but it just doesn’t seem like that would be much fun, or that it would encourage any growth in drawing ability – or allow much room for expression, planning of compositional shapes, etc. Once the grid is covered with paint, the lines will probably migrate a bit anyway – why not allow for a bit of flexibility from the beginning?

Anyway, no offense intended to anyone at all – just a recommendation.

Greggo

llawrence has a good point. the bigger the squares the more you will draw and the less you will copy.

art is a loose medium, and exact squareness is over-rated. go with your instincts and try to loosen up. over-thinking and over-measuring slows down the creative process.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/17-Jul-2013/110200-Tatrabanner.jpg [FONT=Times New Roman] Click here for>> WC FAQS >

dirtysteev

Note, Floatingdove’s grid only works if the aspect ratio stays the same, otherwise it will introduce distortion.
                                                            My ‘grids’ are usually no more than a few reference lines that tell me more about the relationships of shapes to one another. Maybe a few verticals, horizontals, and main diagonals or whatever is leading the composition. If there is a particularly troubling area, one could always just grid that area, but spending all that time and energy mapping out a perfect grid across an entire surface is a real flow-killer to me.

shadwell

the simplest answer is if it is a smaller canvas work backwards in fractions instead of forwards in multiply

if ech square is one inch and your canvas is half the size of the image your working grid will be half inch squares

1/3rd the size 1/3rd of an inch squares on your canvas :thumbsup:

[FONT=Fixedsys]if at first you don't succede !!!![/COLOR]
                                                                [FONT=Fixedsys]give skydiving a miss !![/COLOR]

[FONT=Fixedsys]
                                                              Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘Grid method help’ is closed to new replies.