Home Forums Explore Subjects Art Journals Sketch book number 1

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    simon ess

I decided I should start a dedicated sketch book, as opposed to a receptacle for random scribble and doodles.

I’m far too tight to buy one so I made one out of card, duct tape, twine and Daler Rowney smooth heavyweight paper.

It’s A5 size

I’m not normally a big fan of rules but there are some things I want to avoid and some I want to encourage, so I am imposing 3 strict rules on this sketch book.

1. Never abandon a drawing.
        Even if I badly mess up, or make a horrible mistake, or otherwise hate the drawing, I must work through it.

2. Every drawing must have purpose.
        This is to avoid random scrawlings. I can use any old bit of paper for that.

Consider the whole page.
        To avoid chaos.

Here are the first 2 pages.

Thoughts and comments most welcome

Delofasht

Your sketchbook probably has better paper in it than most of the papers you will find available in many of the more affordable sketchbooks honestly. Looking good so far, keep up the good work.

- Delo Delofasht
            bella-carta

I like it, your sketches and although the handmade character of the book. Keep going on, I am sure it will be a great treasure when finished … all done on your own

Simon, I love your new book! Wonderful sketches! Your rules for yourself are admirable and worth using for us, too.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Sonia

Nice work. Look forward to seeing more.

KiwiKate

I like the book, your rules and your sketches! Looking forward to the next pages.

Kate
                        Henderson, Nevada
                        C&C always welcomed!

"Never ruin a good day by thinking about a bad yesterday". -- Anon.

simon ess

Thank you very much everyone. I’m absolutely delighted that people like my book and my sketches. It’s just so encouraging.
                            I shall try to do at least one sketch per day.

vhere

good rules :) I never see the point of random scribbles that don’t have much thought put into them – fast loose unfinished scribbles with thought behind are fine.

Over the years I’ve learned to push through the ‘oh this is terrible‘ stage by mixing media to enable me to push the drawing/painting around and it’s well worth doing :)

simon ess

Over the years I’ve learned to push through the ‘oh this is [I]terrible[/I]‘ stage by mixing media to enable me to push the drawing/painting around and it’s well worth doing :)

Thanks. I’ll keep that in mind.

Today I learned that this paper can take some water, but not too much, and I got more practice with a water brush, including slopping some ink arond.

simon ess

Based on one of my photos

eyepaint

Looks great! Thanks for sharing and I hope you continue to do so.

I’m a fan of duct tape creations :)

-- EP Moderator for:
                                            All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

Joan T

Great job on making your own book. Nice sketches!!!

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Joan T
                                                [FONT=Book Antiqua]www.watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com

Delofasht

Great sky colors there with the birds, and the trees are very interesting, the mood is especially intriguing to me. The design and usage of tone gives me a very surreal feeling, disconnected from the rest of the world, but very real in its own way. Fascinating stuff, thanks for sharing.

- Delo Delofasht
                                                    simon ess

Thanks everyone.

A line and wash sketch

KiwiKate

Very nice. Did you paint this plein air?

Kate
                                                            Henderson, Nevada
                                                            C&C always welcomed!

"Never ruin a good day by thinking about a bad yesterday". -- Anon.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.