Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Blick’s new color swatches

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Do you like the new swatches? I am very disappointed in them because of the addition of the tubes in the pictures, vote here and maybe Blick will see this thread, take notice, and remove them.

Dcam
            Richard P

Someone has had to go in to each swatch image and superimpose the tube image over them. Maybe they don’t want people to use the swatch images on other sites.

ronsu18

curious.
                    guessing they’ve a new design on the tubes as well and are working it in?
                    the message in that photo is, “we have the information and we’ll almost tell you most of it”.

maybe irritating factors register the quickest, and they have a second design for swatches ready and waiting for launch..?

C&C welcome

Richard P

It’s not just their own Blick branded paints, it’s other brands too.

ronsu18

aah no, devious! now i’m really interested in the reasons behind that.

C&C welcome

Harold Roth

I first noticed this on Daniel Smith. It looks like the only ones not doing it now are Michael Harding, Schmincke, and Blockx. It sucks.

Harold Roth

aah no, devious! now i’m really interested in the reasons behind that.

Branding. I know I’m not the only person in the world who has lifted a pigment sample image and put it on my blog, although I have always mentioned the brand, because why would I not? But that’s not enough. It’s like brand stickers on fruit now.

Anonymous

This change is as bad as the New Coke fiasco.
                                        We loved these swatches, we used them for comparison all the time here,
                                        they made Blick the go to place for color comparison.
                                        I think that will now stop. I will go elsewhere to look at sample charts.

Maybe they don’t want people to use the swatch images on other sites.

It was a popular reference, now this should kill that.

savras

I think it’s good idea to see tubes. But they way they did it by superimposing swatch and tube images is a horrible idea.

Not only tube obscures swatch but some swatches have been destroyed in the process. Take Rembrand’s Manganese Blue Phthalo for example:

Here’s how old version looks like:

And now compare it with the new one: https://cdn.dick-blick.com/items/004/17/swatches/00417_ManganeseBluePhthalo_5933-l.jpg

Anonymous

They had me at plain swatch.

Raffless

Its to stop image theft. Try photoshopping that thing out of the swatch. I can see why but its very ugly.

ronsu18

on dickblick’s image, the subject is secondary behind the object, they’re selling empty. if motivated by copyright, it’s a troubling situation. i don’t believe private persons are the problem, but other online shops.

C&C welcome

cb3

I don’t mind the idea of viewing the product – BUT – not this way. Don’t cover the swatch of color! For me, seeing the paint color is more important than the tube.

Maybe is should be a separate photo or at least way off to the side.

Was about to write Black about this. This ruins the swatches of color big time!

The fact that Black had these swatches of color motivated me to buy from them. Plus the great pigment info help as well.

Messed up a good thing. :crying:

Very poor choice, no excuses. I have purchased paint from them based on the swatches, now the swatches are obscure. Bye Blick~

Williamsburg has not done this.

http://www.williamsburgoils.com/products/colors
                                                            Click on the small swatch and a larger swatch will open…what you see is what you will get.

The best pigment load and quality paint available today. Given the rich pigment load there is real value in these paints. Many choices of grinds, from ultra fine to slightly gritty (gives a wonderful texture). I have gone through many dozens of tubes of WB and they are all accurate. :clap:

Angel :angel:
                                                            Website Makeover Coming! This is available now.
                                                            http://www.artist-bythesea.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.