Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Technically Off-Topic

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 189 total)
  • Author

Is there interest in a chat thread?

If you would like to talk about things that are off-topic in the materials threads, this is the place.

I might move posts here that are off-topic too.

Somewhat continued from this thread.

Be nice (because the UA says so).

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
    Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

Richard P

So Gigalot’s Apple Pie then… Apples mixed with Acrylic I’m guessing? ;)

ronsu18

the contra-luddites’! with a piece of humble pie?

a manifesto for the thread:

When art history is conducted with no connection to the messy, ineffable, alchemical process of art, then it becomes, in James Elkins’s eloquent phrase, “a meager reading of pictures.” Instead, it must grapple with the substance of art. It must understand that: “To a painter, [oil paint] is the life’s blood: a substance so utterly entrancing, infuriating, and ravishingly beautiful that it makes it worthwhile to go back into the studio every morning, year after year, for an entire lifetime.” “Any history of painting,” Elkins concludes, “that does not take that obsession seriously is incomplete.”

quoted from an essay by Adrienne Baxter Bell;
            Techniques of the American Artist
            the last chapter
            The Substance of Art: :thumbsup:
            http://www.nccsc.net/essays/techniques-american-artist

C&C welcome

Gigalot

So Gigalot’s Apple Pie then… Apples mixed with Acrylic I’m guessing? ;)

No, Apples mixed with cottage cheese, egg white and Spectrum walnut oil. :)

Richard P

Egg white? Didn’t you mean Lead Egg White?

contumacious

I was wondering if there was going to be some kind of party, with tasty treats and such, to celebrate the 2 millionth post in the Watercolor Forums? Is there another forum with anywhere nearly this many threads and posts? Just a bit more than 6000 posts and it will happen! Maybe we could start a pool to guess the date and time with some nice prizes given to the top 10 guesses.

As of just now

Total Threads in all Watercolor sub forums: 103,732
                        Total posts in the same – 1,993,752

We are lagging way behind here in the all inclusive Oils forum.

Threads – 35,808
                        Posts – 626,186

Delofasht

Way more watercolorist a than oils, it is probably our fault here in the technical forum. Even the learning zone over in watercolor is nowhere near as volatile as this place, gotta be discouraging when someone new looks in here to learn anything technical at all about oil paint.

By the way Jess, there are some threads regarding solvent free painting that could be good to put in the FAQ. I will do a search when I get back to my desktop and get links for them to add into that sticky thread.

- Delo Delofasht
                            Dcam
                                Delofasht

Oh, especially off topic here:

Historically accurate method to reduce the effects of yellowing in oil paint – Paint Sunflowers.

:clear:

- Delo Delofasht
                                    Dcam

How about a huge banana?
                                        This off topic might be fun eh????:lol:a little levity to ease the gravitas.

Historically accurate method to reduce the effects of yellowing in oil paint – Paint Sunflowers.

Or Spongebob.

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
                                        Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

Richard P

If the binding oil yellows then you want a varnish that turns slightly purple.. ;)

Delofasht

Or Spongebob.

How about a huge banana?

Absolutely!

On a more topical note, Solvent Free Painting seemed to be a useful thread, though it started off in an odd way, it transitioned into some excellent exploration of various ideas and concepts and approaches that seemed to cover quite a few very common questions regarding painting without solvents.

And here is another excellent thread discussion that remained surprisingly civil that I think answers a few interesting questions regarding types of surfaces; soft, slick, absorbent or not, canvas or not, and a few other interesting questions.

I am still looking for the other one on color theory that I recently came across that I think answers a lot of questions that newer painters have regarding color mixing. When I have some more time I’ll come back and post a link for you to compile these, Jess.

- Delo Delofasht
                                                contumacious

Off topic: When I first read the text “distemper paints” all I could think about was a sick puppy that didn’t get its shots…..

AnnieA

Just FYI, I’m working on getting an OK from the author of this: http://wherefishsing.com/stuff/OilPaintPigmentChart.pdf to post her chart here for pinning at the top of the thread. It’s a very useful chart, imo. As soon as she gives permission (and I think she probably will), I’ll post it in a separate thread, along with similar info from W&N (http://www.winsornewton.com/na/discover/tips-and-techniques/oil-colour/understanding-the-drying-times-for-oil-colour-us). Or is that necessary?

These pages also offer useful info about drying times:
                                                        http://www.trueart.info/?page_id=80 (especially useful since it notes that actual drying times can only be estimated through a combination of pigment + particular oil used)
                                                        https://www.wetcanvas.com/ArtSchool/Oils/DryingTimes/

Jess, I hope you agree that this info is pin-worthy, whether as a separate thread (I’ll be happy to post it if that’s the preferred approach) or part of a compilation of info that will be pinned in just one thread. Please let me know how you’d like us to get material for pinning to you for your review, or if there’s some other process you’d prefer.

Everybody: perhaps we should start a letter-writing campaign, asking manufacturers to note typical drying times right on the tube. It’s pretty important, but never indicated.

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
                                                        [FONT=Palatino]
                                                        “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 189 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.