Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Oiling out still tacky after weeks…what next

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Millerhill

In an effort to oil out my first WMO painting I messed up and applied it incorrectly and it’s still tacky after a few weeks. I’m wondering if it would be safe to apply a coat or two of retouching varnish or if it would make things worse.

Steve

Gigalot

Wait until it dries. Put painting to the well illuminated place. You can spray Krylon Quick dry to force drying.

Don Ketchek

If the painting is dry, I wouldn’t worry about it being tacky. It happens.

You could apply a final varnish after waiting the appropriate amount of time and see what happens! I might try the varnish in one small area first.

Don

Gigalot

If the painting is dry, I wouldn’t worry about it being tacky.

But if paint is tacky, then it isn’t dry, Don! :eek: :angel:
                    BTW, sometimes oil paint need six months or year to dry. The problem comes when paint isn’t dry after three years. Old masters recommended to wait “as much as possible” before varnishing and at least one year to get properly dried painting surface. Modern varnish manufacturers restricts drying time to “more than six months”. With one reason -advertisement.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.