Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Linseed Oil Mayonnaise

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    armstrongart

This maybe the dummest question ever asked on wetcanvas, but here goes:angel: , has anyone ever experimented with making mayonnaise using linseed oil instead of olive oil and using it as a painting medium? I cannot find any mention of it on the net after searching google quite a bit:clear:

Don Ketchek

Yes….Just hold the mayo.

Don

Anonymous

This maybe the dummest question ever asked on wetcanvas

you have my vote.

WFMartin

I have not done it, but I believe Rob Howard (one-time operator of Cennini Forum, and Studio Products) offered a recipe for some sort of an egg-oil emulsion, that could be considered mayonnaise, that is engineered to be an oil painting medium.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                    https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Anonymous

you need to add lemon juice and vinegar to be mayonnaise.

Delofasht

Replace the lemon juice and vinegar in mayo with chalk and wax and you DO have a full on medium design for making a good matte finish for uppermost layers of a painting. It is quite nice for tree bark or other less glossy subject matter, I would not use it for water or other subjects intended to be glossy though (sky holes in foliage would be a good use as well).

- Delo Delofasht
                            Anonymous

you also need some mustard powder and salt and pepper for mayonnaise.

Delofasht

Hmmmm, never really used the mustard powder in mayo mixes, makes sense though, would add that touch of twang. Once could add a host of other ingredients, fumed silica for transparency, talc and aluminum trihydrate for slipperiness to the medium also add transparency. . . Starts to sounds a lot like the ingredients of most acrylic gesso minus the acrylic emulsion and white pigment :lol: .

- Delo Delofasht
                                    Gigalot

This maybe the dummest question ever asked on wetcanvas, but here goes:angel: , has anyone ever experimented with making mayonnaise using linseed oil instead of olive oil and using it as a painting medium? I cannot find any mention of it on the net after searching google quite a bit:clear:

It was a common practice for many artists in the past. The mayonnaise structure of dried paint layer is visible on micro photography. This product has the name of oil-tempera. The disadvantage of oil-tempera is short time to store it and to work. It must be prepared and used quickly. However, most of artists are lazy enough to make it every time!

armstrongart

It was a common practice for many artists in the past. The mayonnaise structure of dried paint layer is visible on micro photography. This product has the name of oil-tempera. The disadvantage of oil-tempera is short time to store it and to work. It must be prepared and used quickly. However, most of artists are lazy enough to make it every time!

thanks Gigalot – will search for oil tempera instead :) could you tell me where you learned about it ie was it from a particular book or did a teacher show you?

armstrongart

Thanks Delo! am looking at chalk recipes too, was also looking at recipes for adding fumed silica to sun thickened oil as a thixotropic medium (like Gamblins neo megilp) – any experience with the fumed silica?

Gigalot

thanks Gigalot – will search for oil tempera instead :) could you tell me where you learned about it ie was it from a particular book or did a teacher show you?

It was old Berger’s book. He was sure that Van Eyck used something like oil-tempera instead of pure oil. Anyway, he was wrong or not, in his book was some interesting info. :)

armstrongart

It was old Berger’s book. He was sure that Van Eyck used something like oil-tempera instead of pure oil. Anyway, he was wrong or not, in his book was some interesting info. :)

Thanks for the info Gigalot, never heard of Berger – what is the book called?

koumk

Berger’s Cooking recepies…….

Kostas

cb3
                                                              Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘Linseed Oil Mayonnaise’ is closed to new replies.