Home Forums Explore Media Scratchboard Art Scratch paper recommendation

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    @teulis

I’m totally new to scratch art and would love to try it out. Being new, I would like to try papers for pactice instead of the more expensive boards. I don’t see many low cost options, however, that are not pre-printed with a design.

Is there a scratch paper brand you would recommend? Thus far I have found the Melissa and Doug brand on Amazon. Any thoughts on that one?

Also looking at metal tools, not the wooden stylus. Those are pretty basic and I don’t know if there’s much of a difference between brands.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Jeanette

DP

I have only done two scratch artworks both were on Ampersand scratchboard so I have no advice for paper. For tools I only used the pointed knife tool you can do a lot with just that one tool.

I’d recommend the same way I started a 3pk of Ampersand scratchbord in 6×6 and a single pointed knife. I think there would be a high chance of getting frustrated with paper or cheaper quality boards.

I would also recommend picking a subject with a lot of contrast and interesting light and just jumping right in no practice lines or boards.

Here are my first two attempts 1) tiger 2) owl both done on 6×6 boards with the tool you see on the owl board being the only tool I used.

Deviantart: dpazza
            Instagram: dpwildphoto

@teulis

Wow, those are awesome. I guess it makes sense that the rule that applies to other mediums applies to this one – start with good quality materials to really see what it can do.

I’ll grab a few smaller boards to start. I think Blicks carries Ampersand in store. Thanks. :wave:

jeniep

Beautifully done!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.