Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting A Connecticut Plein Air :)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Got out of the city for a few days… rain and thunderstorms every day but I did get one painting in!

It started raining (again) right as I finished.

6×8 oil on panel, about an hour and a half.

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
    Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

Pinguino

Ah, just in time! In another thread, I noted that my next task was to understand low-chroma green. I will add the image of your painting to my gallery for further study. (The brighter yellow-green has higher chroma, but that’s natural and OK).

I like the brushwork, too. A problem with foliage (as newbies, such as myself, quickly discover) is that the natural scene usually derives interest from fine details that must be simplified in paint. The trick is, how to simplify them?

yekdohseh

awesome job! I really like your background trees in this painting :)

carolkay

I very much like the variation of greens – you’ve done a great job with that – wow – so quick also – glad you got it done before the rain hit!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Carol Sometime's failure is the opposite to success~ but sometimes failure can be the pathway to success
                Dcam

Watchoo doin’ way up North Jess?
                    Yes…..rain, rain, rain. enuff”

Really nice depth in that foliage and you’ve captured such “natural” color.
                    You know how to handle all that green. Super!

Derek

Thanks everyone!
                    I got the painting in right between 2 thunderstorms… I knew another was coming so that really defined my time… rushed a bit at the end and you can see some rain drops on the lower right corner….that tree on the left was the lightest and brightest for most of that hour and a half…..it was a bit glowy… :eek:

Greens are always a challenge. Especially when everything is all green…

I use 2 blues, 2 yellows, and burnt sienna for the greens. But I’m getting a little bit tired of burnt sienna to knock the greens down so I might bring magenta next time, just to stir things up a little. ;)

Watchoo doin’ way up North Jess?

Escaped from the city for a few days! :D

A problem with foliage (as newbies, such as myself, quickly discover) is that the natural scene usually derives interest from fine details that must be simplified in paint. The trick is, how to simplify them?

I’m still struggling with this…I work in shapes from dark to light, then go in after and do the edges. A good thing to do is look at other plein air paintings (that you like) and see how it is handled. There are a lot of different approaches that work well.

DMArtist7

Wow, it’s lovely. I’d say you’ve mastered greens pretty well. :D Congrats on finishing it before another storm hit. Lol.

"Choose only one master – Nature." ~ Rembrandt

ronsu18

i also see humorous roadrunner action reading you, surrrr on site pack up set up -2s pause- paint paint paint – one rain drop – clean up pack up shoulder surrrrr into the traffic balancing the wet painting upside down as an umbrella above your head. :)

gorgeous painting, you have accurate realism weighing the same as representation, love that. looking at one thing and seeing two at the same time, alternating, motion happening through perception only. great skills!

C&C welcome

Ale2018

I Like so much!

Alexandre George
                                Just an amateur artist trying to learn the noble art!

Ronsu… :lol:

Thanks so much!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.