Home Forums Explore Media Photography The Shutterbug Pub Shutterbug Pub Daily, Saturday, Sunday, November 10-11, 2018

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Greenhill

Welcome to the weekend! :wave: I’ll begin it with a Painted Lady butterfly.

Shot on Friday; I don’t go birding on weekends or public holidays as “everyone and their dog” are out walking, and birds don’t like either!

So I rustled up a batch of scones, semi disastrous, borderline edible. Ran them by my kindly neighbour, Carine, a retired chef who, after almost choking to
        death on a sample, has set me on the path to righteousness to baking heavenly scones. Will do better next time.

MY FLICKR
        OLYMPUS OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3[FONT="Georgia"]
        The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Humburger

LOL! I hope your next batch does no harm. ;-)

What a beautiful photo. The butterfly is lost in the flower, so the flower ends up being the center of attention, but it is lovely nonetheless. I love the colors and the faded background.

Here is another from my walk the other day:

I noticed, after uploading the photo, that it was not level, so I rotated the photo, but the tower appears to be leaning. It appears that the building is level. Is it just me? LOL!

Ginny
            www.virginiacmccoy.com
            C & C Welcome

Anonymous

Another keeper, Mark. You’re really on a roll the past several days.

A neighbor’s roses, one healthy, one fading fast…

(Nikon D7500 with Nikkor 18-300mm taken at 95mm, aperture priority, f/5.6, 1/640 sec, ISO 100, processed in ACR then PSCS5)

One of my few potted veggies that might make it; some sort of carrot…

(Nikon D7500 with Nikkor 18-300mm taken at 300mm, aperture priority, f/6.3, 1/100 sec, ISO 100, processed in ACR then PSCS5)

B&W version (using Nik Silver Efex) of the photo above…

Hi Ginny; you posted while I was composing. Nice photo – I like the orange foliage coming in from the left. Yes, the photo is slightly tilted, but I think in the opposite direction you thought. Rotate until the smokestack is vertical; that’ll leave the edge of the walkway appearing angled, but the building and horizon straight.

Wishing everyone a good weekend.

Greenhill

Ginny, Thanks for commenting, good to see you’re out walking, keeping fit.

Dave, looks like your summer is done, as you say, “one (rose) fading fast”.
                    You can now look forward to winter and all the photo ops and challenges it poses.

I guess I’d better fess up and reveal the full extent of the debacle!

MY FLICKR

Mark,
                    Okay, as long as we are being honest, I can’t believe you took some of those scones over to your neighbor’s. Let’s review the definition of “Neighborly”, shall we?

Actually, I think you took that debacled batch of scones to your Chief Neighbor so that she would feel sorry for you, share her secret recipe and maybe even whip up a delicious batch for you. Smooth, Mark, I know your type and I am a sucker for them. Good thing for me that you are not living next door to me. I would be sending over so many dishes, just like my mom did for the single fella that lived next to her and my dad.

Your butterfly is a beauty, Mark. Maybe you can’t make scones, but you’re sure good with the camera.

PS. What’s the secret to making good scones?

Ginny,
                    The top of the building looks straight to me. Maybe the wind was blowing hard and made the chimney lean. Nice reflections on the glass like pond.

Dave,
                    I like the top of the carrot greens image the most, especially the colored one giving the sun a high five. Great clarity and contrast.
                    The two stages of the roses is good too.

Photography is the art of observation. It has little to to with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them. Elliott Erwitt
                    Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Zuiko 14-150 mm zoom, Zuiko 2.8 60mm macro, Sigma 2.8 Fish Eye. Nikon D5100

making good scones?

The raising agent is the first secret. It has to be cream of tartar.
                    The butter needs to be worked into the flour thouroughly.

Humburger

Mark, those scones don’t LOOK too bad, but I know how dry they can be. Mine always seem too dry. I don’t make good ones, either, and probably never will, because I don’t try…

Dave, the rose picture is so sad. I like the green carrot shot, though. :-)

Lorell, your photo looks like a painting. How did you do that?

Man from Ironbark, I love that first photo, it looks like a fire in the sky.

Ginny
                        www.virginiacmccoy.com
                        C & C Welcome

Thanks Ginny. It is a sunrise.
                        I probably should get a good Digital lens for my old Nikon. The lenses I have are about 30 years older than the camera.

Greenhill

That’s a great picture, Lorell, would make a lovely textile design for linen upholstery fabric. I like the unique way you process your images.

Mark,
                            Okay, as long as we are being honest, I can’t believe you took some of those scones over to your neighbor’s. Let’s review the definition of “Neighborly”, shall we? Actually, I think you took that debacled batch of scones to your Chief Neighbor so that she would feel sorry for you, share her secret recipe and maybe even whip up a delicious batch for you. Smooth, Mark, I know your type and I am a sucker for them. Good thing for me that you are not living next door to me. I would be sending over so many dishes, just like my mom did for the single fella that lived next to her and my dad. Your butterfly is a beauty, Mark. Maybe you can’t make scones, but you’re sure good with the camera.
                            PS. What’s the secret to making good scones?

Firstly, before I deal with the insults, let me thank your for the compliment.:thumbsup:
                            You got me all wrong, Lorell … :angel: would I be so circumspect? :clear:
                            Actually, I can shift the blame onto Sandra’s sister’s recipe given verbatim:
                            “S.R Flour, 3 cups, maybe 4 * 1 cup Lemonade * 1 cup Cream * Oven, 200C, 15 mins
                            * 1 egg for glazing, or brush with milk” (I knew I was in trouble so I skipped that bit :smug:)
                            The raisins were my idea to give extra boost to the self raisin flour, yea! :wink2:

I probably should get a good Digital lens for my old Nikon. The lenses I have are about 30 years older than the camera.

The sunsets are glorious out back o’ the Black Stump, there, Pete.
                            But can’t figure what’s going on in the other two pics; looks like a crime scene with few clues aside from a couple of dead pigeons! :eek:
                            As for a new lens, hows about a new camera for Chrissy instead? (keep the economy rolling along) :music::thumbsup::music:

MY FLICKR

Anonymous

Nice skies, not so good scones, interesting birds. Are they fighting? Mating?

From yesterday’s walk, a Canna Lily…

(Nikon D7500 with Nikkor 18-300mm shot at 125mm, aperture priority, f/9, 1/200 sec, ISO 100, processed in ACR then PSCS5)

I am amazed at how rapidly these plants grow tall.

Don

Lots of activity and nice images, which we all like to see.

I’m still trying to dial in the right adjustments for my 28-300 on my D500 and hopefully have it nailed now. Or at least as close as it is going to get for this trip. I moved my arrival date up 1 day so I will leave Tuesday instead of Wednesday. There is rain (and possible snow flurries) in the forecast for Tuesday night and maybe that will present some good photo ops.

These were taken this morning.

Photo site - http://donlwilliamsphotography.com

"A moment in time
                                    Immortalized forever
                                    With silver and light"

Greenhill

Dave, nice canna lily, would like to have seen it set against a blue backdrop to offset the orange.
                                        Yes, I admit that scones isn’t my culinary forte, I have some serious remedial work ahead.

Not sure whether I’ve posted these before, Flight of the Ibis let’s say, from my 2011 archives, but anyway, here goes –
                                        shot with my old Olympus E-3 and Zuiko 50-200 mm F2.8 lens, 1/400, F5.6, ISO400, 158mm (35mm cam. equiv. 316mm)

MY FLICKR

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.