Home Forums Explore Subjects Figure, The Another one from Croquis Cafe – male model

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Constance

I’ve just completed my exam (not art related) and some work projects, so before I start working on another project, here’s a study of a male model from Croquis Cafe. I did not follow the timing…as what I really wanted to do is to observe more of the hands and feet and knees…I struggled quite a bit with the arms coming from the back of the knee/leg…not enough of practise/observations to understand how the arms should wrap around the knee from that angle…

Instagram: unsuspectingstrangers

earlselwyn

Nice! Which episode is this from? If I can see the original it will help me provide better comments. Proportions look pretty good… shin may be a bit elongated. The hands and facial profile are well done. He looks really thick through the shoulders… but without source material I can’t be sure. Overall, it’s a convincing study. -Earl

instagram.com/earlselwyn/

ArtistOz

Nice contours, do it again Constance with lots of just looking, draw him in your mind while looking. We don’t observe enough including me I want to rush things to my dismay.

Bill,
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/artistoz/
                Instagram, billwperry

Constance

Nice! Which episode is this from? If I can see the original it will help me provide better comments. Proportions look pretty good… shin may be a bit elongated. The hands and facial profile are well done. He looks really thick through the shoulders… but without source material I can’t be sure. Overall, it’s a convincing study. -Earl

Hi Earl, yes, i think the shoulders are quite thick in my version and so I felt something is wrong somewhere but not able to correct them…also the feet at the back is a little too large compared to the body…I’m not sure…

This is from Drawing Resource No. 316, the first pose :) Appreciate your feedback.

Constance

Nice contours, do it again Constance with lots of just looking, draw him in your mind while looking. We don’t observe enough including me I want to rush things to my dismay.

Hi Bill, thanks for the advice and I’ll try this same model again later on :)

Constance, I think youve done what you aimed to do, especially with the hand. Sometimes poses from online sources look unnatural to begin with and the inevitable distortion of transfering the shape onto paper emphasises this

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art - Leonardo da Vinci
                        More than happy to receive C&C on anything I post
                        Instagram
                        https://www.instagram.com/the_henson_gallery/

Constance

Thanks David, glad that you find the hands to be ok… I tried the same model again but I did worse. Maybe I’ll try it on another day. Maybe I was distracted by this model, also from Croquis Cafe (old one – no. 86). Hope to put in as much exercise as I’m able to before the work starts….for this one, I’ve ruined the hands…

earlselwyn

Wonderful drawing! I really like the faint shadow shapes… there’s so much interesting detail to look at. The proportions are convincing… nothings jumps out at me. Shading is inconsistent but I’m not sure it matters… you’ve added shadow to her facial profile… but much less elsewhere. The figure is convincing. Nice work. What are your goals here? If you’re going for realism I can provide more meaningful input. If you’re wanting to simply create a visually appealing figure that communicates something I’m not quite sure how to describe then… mission accomplished. I don’t have much else to say.

Seeing work like this brightens my day. Thanks for sharing.

-Earl

That picture is done! I love the added colour, the hair perfect, its an artwork

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art - Leonardo da Vinci
                                Instagram

123harry

The fact that we can see clearly how you have worked at the first drawing makes it much more interesting than a more polished piece might be.
                                    The second works really well. There is drama in the way the subject confronts the viewer. The figure has presence.

C&C always welcome.
                                    Instagram harry.hamill

GuyBishop

Both pieces very nice indeed, in my view, both very well executed and (in different ways) stylistically rich and interesting, impressed!

Constance

Thank you so much Earl, David, Harry and GuyBishop, for the encouraging words :)

Earl, not sure if this is good or bad but I draw/sketch without thinking if I want it to be realistic or not…I just, do it. These are just studies and exercises in the hope that they will help me when I paint people within a setting/environment/etc…you see, my ultimate goal is to be able to express emotions of people in paintings…I’m not sure if i’ve explained this well enough :) Sorry if this is really hazy…

Constance, anyone looking at your website will see you are already an extremely accomplished artist, you DO express emotions. I would reccommend others to look at your site https://constance6356.wixsite.com/constance

Instagram

earlselwyn

I love the website too. Really nice work. -E

Constance

Constance, anyone looking at your website will see you are already an extremely accomplished artist, you DO express emotions. I would reccommend others to look at your site [url]https://constance6356.wixsite.com/constance[/url]

Oh I’m still very very far from being accomplished David, but I’m really touched by your encouraging words! Thank you!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.