Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    ladypainter

I am really getting into different mediums here. Just wondering about wax. Some people use bee’s wax and others the parrifin. I found soy wax in Micheals. What wax do you guys use in your work.

I could not afford the Bee’s wax (30.00) for a little square of it. The soy came in chips and I have tried it to coat a collage piece I have done.I only put a thin coat on so far.

Elinor:wave:
        "keep your own time tickin"

sue.w

Elinor,
            I’m not familiar with soy wax, but the small square of Bee’s wax at $30.00 was probably the wax medium which is a combination of bee’s wax + damar resin which is what I use for my encaustic paintings.

You can buy some pure beeswax (yellow) at an Apiary just outside of Frankford for about $6.00/lb. (Cdn). The Cheeky Bee in Warkworth carries white pure beeswax for about $10.00/lb.

I’ve also gone out to a place in the country near Tweed (sorry can’t remember the name off hand) to buy my filtered (white) beewax as I make up my own medium with the damar resin.

Hope this Helps

Sue Wilkins
            Painter in training - I can't wait to take the wheels off![/COLOR]

Printmakerguy

It depends on your use. I’ve never used soy wax, most that I have come across are too soft, though- Made for candles… Might be OK if Damar is added.

Beeswax is preferred- at least by me, and the majority of encaustic artists I know. Some use it pure, others mix it, with Damar for hardness and a bit more heat tolerance. You can also mix it with parafin. Beeswax is pleasant to work with, and non toxic.

Parafin does have its uses in art, too- But it is FAR more brittle than beeswax, and its probably not a great idea to use it alone unless the support you are working on is very rigid. I do know of some artists that use it in more sculptural work. Often, though, they will mix it with other waxes, like beeswax, to make it a bit more flexible. Parafins are petroleum based waxes, and don’t have that nice pleasant smell that beeswax does. The advantage, though, is parafin is CHEAP.

You can get beeswax online various places, and it’s usually a LOT cheaper than the stuff you buy at art supply stores. I use pharmaceutical grade, white beeswax, filtered as opposed to chemically bleached. ‘Natural’ beeswax is yellow, you want it white so it doesn’t interfere with the pigments you add to it.

-Andrew

[FONT="Arial"]

I always welcome critiques and criticisms of my work! That's the only way to improve!
                My My Web Page - My Miniature Work-http://www.lessthansix.com[/center]
                -Member of the Association Of Miniature Artists-

* AMA * MASF * HS * ARMS *

ladypainter

Thanks sue.w I will definitely look into the places you have suggested as I am very close to them.:) Very helpful.I really love the bees wax as it is the natural choice.

Andrew thanks for your info. I obviously have a to learn here.

I didnt know you had to mix the wax with something else for hardness. I was wondering about heat issues. I hope I didnt ruin my collage with that one coat of wax. Guess on a hot day it would start to run maybe?

snowants

Some great information about wax so far!
                        This is how I use wax…

Soy wax is CHEAP so it’s a great way to clean brushes
                        Paraffin wax is CHEAP as well, so I use that to clean brushes as well

Bees wax is INCREDIBLE, the smell, the texture. I make my own medium following the recipe posted here on wet canvas, using damar crystals to make it a little harder. I use both refined and unrefined depending on the need for the piece. I mix all my mediums with oil paints.

Microcrystalline wax is a great alternative to bees wax, it’s cheaper than bees wax but more expensive than soy or paraffin. I generally use this when I’m experimenting with pieces, and then when I’m happy, I use bees wax to make the final piece. You don’t have to mix damar crystals with this wax, it has a higher melting point than bees wax, but it’s not nearly as pleasant to work with as bees wax. (aboveground art store in toronto sells it about as cheaply as I’ve found)

A friend I know mixes paraffin wax with micro at about 1/4 ratio and uses that as their medium, it further cuts down the cost.

Hope that gives you some more choices

Check out my work here!
                        http://antscantdance.blogspot.com/

ladypainter

Thank you snowants. I can see i am a complete novice at this. I know of the store you are talking about in TO. I have a friend that lives down that way.
                            Microcrystalline wax is something I have never heard of .

I have heard that the bees wax is wonderful to use so I would like to go that way if possible.I love the golden color in it as well.

Pariffen is not something I want to use just because of the fact it has petroleum in it from what I have been told and isnt healthy to breath in.

Not sure of painting with it but using it with collage .I have seen it on youtube used like that and it looks amazing.

Thanks again for the help and advice:)

sue.w

Elinor, one thing to remember is that paraffin melts at a lower temperature which means that the flash point comes sooner so you do have to be very attentive when heating (mind you you need to be attentive when heating any wax).

If you know anybody who keeps bees you may be able to get the raw wax from them (dirty & full of pollen, bee parts, dirt & general debris) which keeps the cost way, way down. I’ve gone that route and it is not hard or too time consuming to clean/filter it to make it usable. It does retain it’s golden yellow, and I find it wonderful to use as my base layers on the encaustic paintings. I save my white filtered wax to mix with colour pigments.

Over time pure beeswax will naturally produce a hazy bloom which may obscure your collage however when this happens just lightly burnish it with a soft cloth and it will disappear.

Sue Wilkins

WildGoose

A word about wax and Batik

Collage work and encaustic painting are mentioned, thought I”d bring up Batik

I”ve used microwaveable soy wax to good effect as a resist medium in doing paper batik work on SA/mulberry or lightweight cartridge paper..

..when your acrylic ink or watercolour dries, you can just scrape it off …

..if there’s any remaining-usually only a token amount – it just irons out onto scrap paper, as does beeswax for fabric

Experimented with using soy wax on fabric, but it turns out quite a bit lighter/more indistinct…not as well-delineated or crisp as fabric batik done with either beeswax ( best ) or parrafin

There’s an artist named Dorothy Bunny Bowen who has further and more methodically experimented with soy wax on fabric / especially silk and presented a paper on it at 2005’s World Batik Conference…might just go and look up what’s been happening with it’s use in that regard since then m’self!

Cheers!:D

"Getting there is not half the fun-it's ALL the fun!" (Robert Townsend)
                                    Art Blog: http://wildgoosewanderings.blogspot.com

snowants

Elinor, I agree with sue, price isn’t the only point to consider when you work with wax. Melting temperature is definitely a key point. One thing I’ve been playing around with is putting different kinds of wax over each other, when you play with the temperature interesting things happen with the waxes and the elements in them, especially when you fluctuate above and below melting points of the different waxes! Another point that Sue mentioned is clarity, I find microcrystalline wax a little foggy (maybe it’s just a bad lot I got), but bees wax absolutely transparent. I agree with you about the natural element as well, I really like that idea.

Sue, I stopped at the Cheeky Bee in Warkwarth tonight and bought 5 pounds of white bees wax! 10 dollars a pound is a GREAT price, and it’s nice to know that it’s naturally refined, not bleached or mixed with other wax. The smell is AWESOME!
                                        Sue, you wouldn’t know where you can buy damar crystals cheaply do you?
                                        I’ve found some places in the US that sell it pretty cheap by the pound, but no luck so far in Canada.
                                        LOL sorry for hi-jacking the thread for my own purposes.

Check out my work here!

sue.w

Snowants: Glad to hear you were able to pick up wax at the Cheeky Bee. You must have hit it at the right time to be able to get 10 lbs all at once!

Sorry, I have not yet been able to source Damar within Canada at anywhere near a cheap price. I have bought damar in Peterborough for $12.95/8 oz, which was ok in a pinch but certainly not inexpensive! Then I had the opportunity to purchase a 10 lb bag from a US supplier, had it shipped to Florida, and a friend brought it home on her return drive to Canada. It was a long way round, but worth it in the end.

Sue Wilkins

snowants

Ah great, thanks for the advice!
                                                I’ll keep looking around. I’ve been reading on the internet and it’s used for alot of things, and readily available, so I don’t understand why it’s so hard to get in bulk here in Canada. I read that it’s the same substance that’s used to coat the outside of boxes for vegetables that you find in grocery stores.

btw Elinor, damar resin crystals mixed with bees wax does a couple of things, it makes that wax alot harder, and it makes the wax crystal clear so you don’t have to worry about blooming (whitening, bees wax over time turns white, and you have to buff it to make it clear again).

Check out my work here!

ladypainter

wow thanks to all for the advice and expertise on this subject.:) I am not really far from Warkwarth so may go there to get the bee’s wax if there is any left.:lol: Just kidding snowants

I was wondering one thing . I did brush a layer of the melted soy wax over my collage piece. Does this mean that It will melt and run in warm weather. I hope I did not ruin it by doing this. I didnt realize you had to add damar crystals to harden it.I do like the look of it .:)

One more word on soy wax – it is water soluable. So it will wash out, this is good if you want to get it out and bad if you are using a water medium that will erode the wax if you put a lot of washes or heavy washes or dye baths. this might be why it came out ‘indistinct’.

for Batik parifin cracks more than beeswax so I use a mix depending on the crackle wanted.

I think you might see running in warm weather on that piece, especially if it is humid.

ladypainter

Thanks Karen, guess I will have to keep this piece here. Would not want it to run at a show.:)

I saw video’s online doing collage work with wax but they failed to say anything about mixing wax with damar crystals.

Oh well live and learn.

sue.w

Elinor, my recommendation is to call ahead to the Cheeky Bee in Warkworth to check on availability. Amanda may need to pour some of the 1lb white. Mind you, The Cheeky Bee and many other shops in Warkworth are such neat stores you may just want to go for the fun of a road trip.

Sue Wilkins

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.