WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Figure, The
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: First ever drawings from life

Thank you for those great tips Sandra. Never really thought about horizontals and verticals. I will try to pay more attention to that next time.

We tried to dabble around with the light last time, but there still is barely any shadow on our model ... mostly due to the white room and that heating thing on the model, which makes a reddish glow and which comes from the other direction as the light comes. I guess we will have to live with that for now. I guess it is not easy in a group to get the best solution for all. Most seem happy with the light, they all paint with watercolor. Only those who draw in dry mediums would like some more shadow. But anyways, a good draftsman must be able to work under all conditions I think. I'm just bidding on a nice plaster torso at ebay do do some more studies at home where I can take my time. I guess that should help trying stuff out in the quiet at home and make one better in the life drawing, too.

#32   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-29-2011, 02:22 AM
Romania

Hails from Romania

Just had to come and see this thread since you mentioned it in another post

I like this one a lot:

I would say continue to explore such ways of using the charcoal, develop varieties of line, as this kind of use will also help you in painting (it is almost like a wide brush, forcing you to think strokes in advance).

Quote:
No teaching, but we had a look at each others studies in the 5 minute pause.

I have a few videos that explain what we were taught in drawing class, here's a link if you want to take a look. Apart from the technical stuff, the main thing I got was that humans are very, very, very complicated, and that one can use this progression to make the learning experience more manageable. If you've done that already, then nevermind
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2011, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you for those great tips Calvin ! Indeed I need to do more still lifes ... I have to force myself to do so though, I find them awful boring. But in the drawing group they have only 10 minute poses and that is only enough for scetching (of course a professional like Kevin for example does wonders in 10 minutes, but I need a few thousand hours drawing more to get there, if I ever do).
Still lifes and flowers, best practice I could get in my situation (single room flat, no place for a model or so and no opportunity for long studies from life models) ...
Your casts are awesome !

______

Today I tried to use only a PanPastel on a stick ... see first picture on top of the paper. It is much like a brush and I like it a lot and since I only draw to get a better painter, this might be a good way to do ? Those PanPastel also smudge less, which is a big plus when transporting the stuff back home.

Also, I recently notice brief weird moments where my eyesight shifts, especially when squinting. It are only parts of a second, but during those moments the model or whatever I look at becomes 2-dimensional and I can see all them shapes and negative shapes and stuff. I think (hope) that this is a good thing. I also noticed that I need not to draw to have these moments, but they can come when I look at stuff around me ... at work, at home, wherever ... I now consciously begin to remind me to try to have those "weird" moments and to prolong them. I hope that is a good idea and I'm not on the wrong path here.

Today I took the initiative and spoke with the group about making a saturday group next year, maybe every two weeks with long poses (1 hr+) for the whole day. A few have interest and I think we will get it on next year. That would also give the opportunity to make better light ... in the large group, there are so many different styles people, some want a lot of light (like 5 very bright spots on the model, no shadows at all) ... I personally would need not much light on my paper, I draw black&white and would prefer only one spot on the model and dark walls (they're white) so that there is real good shadow ... but in large groups I guess it really is hard to get all the individual wishes fulfilled.

Anyways, these are from today, all 10 minute poses. I can't say there is any improvement, but it was lots of fun.

C&C always very welcome.

Last edited by dustonpaper : 12-01-2011 at 05:25 PM.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2011, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member

Hello,

today was the last drawing group for this year, next week my job will keep me from going there

Funny thing is that the model today was the same one we had when I first went there in the very first post of this thread. I am not sure if there is any progress, but it is a good possibility to judge if there is I guess, because it is the same model. I can't say.
All 10 minute poses. I dabbled with white a bit in some of the drawings. I should have left more of the paper visible as middletone though.

C&C always welcome ... I know I do not comment much on other works, but that is mainly due to lack of time, job is very busy these days. Sorry for that.

Last edited by dustonpaper : 12-15-2011 at 05:27 PM.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2011, 05:34 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia
Re: First ever drawings from life

Hey Duston , I am sorry your work is getting in the way of your learning , but this is life hey , It has a habit of getting in the way

I think there's some improvement for sure in some of these I really like the last ones Duston they are showing some great progressions in shapes, its relative to help think of the mental concept in your mind before you start drawing this helps alot I find in my ld , it's easy for me to see the ones I'm thinking about as appose to the ones I'm not , great to see your lovely work !!
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you so much for commenting Sandra.

Yes, I indeed need to think a lot more about where to go in a drawing before I start ... the poses go so fast, only 10 minutes with only seconds between them to change the paper ... I need to get way more faster and set up an idea where to go, for now I just go into the drawings without any concept before.