Home Forums Explore Subjects Portraiture Portraiture Forum Library Archives Portrait Challenge for January 2011!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 224 total)
  • Author
    kevinwueste

Welcome to the January Portraiture Challenge! It’s a new day and since we might say we are beginning again, I thought it would be good to take another look at basic structures in, largely black and white. The goal this month is to start with the basic structure of the head that Loomis shows – the Ball and cone – and develop your heads the way he has. Your heads, believe it or not- will improve by developing a consistent plan. I know, everyone wants to paint in color but before that can stand any chance of being good, you gotta’ have the drawing thing DOWN! I hope to see basic drawings and as you are comfortable to develop more complex heads – based on these and then, if you like from your own CLEAR shadow and light -based photo references.:)

Here beginneth the visual lesson —

And a few things for fun and in color for when you’ve sorted the head structure!

I hope you enjoy this new Challenge and let’s see your work!

Kevin

i draw, paint and teach | my voice is hoarse | my shoulder hurts.
        Talent is really a capacity for a certain type of learning of knowledge and a consuming interest in the facts that contribute to that knowledge~ Andrew Loomis
        http://www.kevinwuesteart.blogspot.com
        "kevinwueste" on instagram

Everyone

Good stuff, Kevin! :D
            This will certainly teach us a lot — a great start to the year! :thumbsup:

Cheers, Lauren
            https://www.facebook.com/LaurenFosterMacLeod/
            Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lauren.fosterm/

asarkis

Thanks for this thoughtful challenge. Hopefully a lot of Portrature forum participants will join it.

Anna.
                --------------------------------------------------
                "Pray with love - pray as you love - love as you pray. Prayer is your heartbeat in rhythm with His." - Mother Angelica

kevinwueste

Great to hear that Anna! At the very least I will be doing some practice!! Hope you and Lauren will join in.. can we twist more arms for the hard but important foundational work ? time will tell!!

Kevin

pls note that the last few plate are by Norm Nason – an amazing artist/illustrator..

Talent is really a capacity for a certain type of learning of knowledge and a consuming interest in the facts that contribute to that knowledge~ Andrew Loomis

lovin art

Hey there Sir K ,you Rock my Dear Homeboy love this;) , I started with doing the exercises , Im bored already can i just move straight onto the heads with features:( :lol: see Im a bad school girl … honestly these are great and will help me see greatly …..Thankyou !!:clap:

kevinwueste

Awesome Sandra! Keep going – don’t let me down!!! how about another sheet of these same ones – do a few until they are easy and rote.. that’s how this becomes a tool for us! Great work! Kevin

lovin art

don’t let me down!!! how about another sheet of these same ones –

Not a CHANCE of that Homeboy!!:D uggh~ I knew you would say do more !!!:lol: :crossfingers: heres my next lot -+ I can see how that ball shape over and over is the basic structure of making the head come into focus …..

Everyone

Good for you, Sandra! :clap:
                                    That first lot look just like the references! :thumbsup:
                                    I will get on to these challenges soon — problem for today and next few days is that I am out of town and don’t have my usual access. Will try to fit in some drawing time and post them up when I get back home later in the week.

Cheers, Lauren
                                    https://www.facebook.com/LaurenFosterMacLeod/
                                    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lauren.fosterm/

lovin art

Thankyou heaps Lauren:D , I hope you get to do some and join in with me :thumbsup: ….although I do think the teacher should be made to join us ~and no posting old stuff either ….:D :lol:

kevinwueste

Great work!

I will be posting likely tomorrow – all new all the time! ;-)

lovin art

Ok, I loved the red lips:D …..my last quickie for the day !!

Bella Jo

Thanks for posting these Kevin. This is just what I need!
                                                    Sandra, you are off to a flying start to the new year! Looking good.
                                                    I will try to fit in some drawing this week sometime.

Happy New Year everyone.

Clive Green

mmm, I like a challenge. Did this guy draw anything after they made Mr. Ed ? I’ll see what I can do.

:cool: Kia Ora o Aotearoa Feckless and Irresponsible
                                                        My website http://www.otaki-artist.com
                                                        ishiprog

Hi all, and thank you Kevin for this great Challenge!

I try to understand the construction steps of Loomis’ method and will post my results here now.

Thanks to my beloved wife I have a digital drawing tablet since Christmas and with that I tried to work with layers to show you the steps I performed.
                                                            I’m rather pleased with the result and will work more with Loomis’s method (promise!)

Thanks for your C&C

Cheers

Wolfgang

Reference:

1. The Constuction

2. Placement of the features

3. Refinement of the features

4. Placement of the shadows

5. Refinement of shadows

6. Final (not finished)

I will not work further on this – will try different people with different angles of the head etc.

Regards

Wolfgang

Clive Green

couldn’t print the ref. need to get more toner today. used one of my ceramics books instead, just for a laugh. second image is a typical day in town but with fewer figures, a tangi at the marae and a penguin I saw in a childrens book. :eek:

this is a4, usually I’d do a page or two on a5 each day or even a couple of A6s if I’m just having a quick coffee and running out of time.

sorry about the quality but my scanner doesn’t like pencil and I’ve had to adjust the levels

:cool: Kia Ora o Aotearoa Feckless and Irresponsible
                                                                My website http://www.otaki-artist.com
                                                              Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 224 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.