WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Sculpture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#436   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2016, 02:15 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States
Re: The Sculptor's Stand

Beautiful job! I agree, the wrists look narrow to me too. I'd love to see the look of it with the silver on the fabric! Sounds really interesting. Thanks for sharing!
  #437   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2016, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Cheers, Lynda, I`ll have a look at that soon, with a bag over it it won`t dry very quickly.

Kris
  #438   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2017, 12:19 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

Wow, it's been exactly a year and a day since anyone posted on this forum! Guess I'd better clean out the cobwebs!

I have the piece I started in the thread "This one's for my daughter" about 2/3-3/4 done. I was going to post pictures of it, but somehow, the pictures got lost off my new phone. I must have hit the wrong button!! I'll take some more and get them posted soon.

I found a fun thing at Home Depot - a pony skeleton that is very close to anatomically correct! It's supposed to be a ghost pony, so it has red LED eyes and whinnies, then breathes heavily for a while. When I first saw it, I said, "That's remarkably correct!" and a Home Depot lady told me a vet had said the same thing the day before. (Note to non-horsepeople - horses have cartilage, not bone, in their ears, so the ears showing is an inaccuracy, as is no connection below the mid-ribs. Only the back one or two actually float free.)

John bought it for me - I've named it "Zeus." When I posted it on Facebook, my equine artist friends were drooling all over it, and wanting one. I said I should get a commission from Home Depot for all I'm selling for them, LOL! A couple of sculptors (famous life-size equine sculptors) said it looked like it could make a nice armature. The horse-sized one is 74" high and $199, the pony is 4' high and $99. I think it might be helpful in teaching my workshops, and it's just a fun thing to have in my studio.
  #439   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2017, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member
UK

Hi ArtsyLynda
Yeah, I tend to post my work on my Facebook page these days, and any other stuff too.
The skeleton looks pretty good, mind you I`m no expert, you know a lot more than I about the anatomy of a horse. I guess they decided that they just had to put in the ears, it would look a bit odd without them.

Kris
  #440   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2017, 12:30 PM

A lot of us have migrated to other places like Facebook to share our videos and pics. But I still like this all sculptor forum that we have here. :-)

I saw that skeleton you posted on FB and it really is a good resource. Thanks for posting it here too! Also, you mentioned they have other skeleton's available like cats and dogs. Hope they are as anatomically correct as the horse.

Cobs have now been wiped away!

My website My Blog Join me on Facebook
  #441   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2017, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
UK

I`ll be honest sometimes I forget sites like these are still here these days, plus there often wasn`t that much going on. So many forums like this just ceased to exist when FB came along.
Talking of that I just added you two as friends, or asked, or whatever it is lol.

Kris
  #442   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2017, 02:27 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

Tamara, the other skeletons look as accurate as this one, but they also include ears - yes, I think they just added them because they'd look odd to the average eye without them.

I stick with this because it's a real creativity forum. So many different ways to sculpt!! It's always interesting to see people's work.

I share a lot on FB too, but I like the "all sculptors" aspect of this forum.
  #443   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2017, 12:57 PM

Re: The Sculptor's Stand, getting started in stone

Just started carving stone this year, and experimenting wildly! Already charmed with chisels, and addicted to my Fordham knock-off: a Eurotool flex shaft machine. So nice!
I know very little about durability, finishing, etc. I acquired 3 6"x6"x9" blocks of very nice smooth Texas limestone (2 I have carved) a few smaller bits of rougher limestone, a bit of alabaster and a "bluestone" paver.
I crave some larger smooth limestone or some marble now!
No idea how to get these affordably here on the Olympic Peninsula however.
Attached Images

#444   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2017, 01:18 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

Nice work! You probably already know this, but in case it will help . . . To finish stone, you use metal files, filing away from you, and then sand it while it's wet with wet/dry sandpaper until you get a mirror finish (if the stone will allow that). Here's a web page on it. http://www.wikihow.com/Carve-Stone Once it's smooth, you can finish it with beeswax or oil. The sculptor I took a stone workshop from recommended beeswax, which brings out the color and gives a luster to alabaster (which is what we were carving). Here's an article on that, in case it might be helpful: http://soapstonesculpture.com/polish.html Keep up the good work, and thanks for sharing!
  #445   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2017, 08:11 PM

Thank you for the links: all information is good to put into the mix!

And the Moon Snail, sold to a neighbor yesterday for a very decent price, with no effort on my part!
Attached Images

#446   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2017, 08:17 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

Yaaaay!!! And congrats!