WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Hall of Fame.
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2008, 05:44 PM
Enthusiast
Northern Colorado (almost Wyoming!)

Hails from United States
Re: red dresses

I don't often paint figures, so I'm no help with that part.

But I think these paintings are FABULOUS! Oh....to paint so freely like this!
My website & My Art Blog
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2008, 11:11 PM
Illinois

Hails from United States

Beautiful Jackie!
MAybe a reason you think one of the dancers seeems "wooden" in comparison to the photo you were using - her wrist has a sharper angle in your painting than in the photo. My eye was drawn to that even before I saw your reference photo, And maybe a touch more shadow on the extended leg? But I have not really thought thru your lighting.
And I really love the way you handled the background. That is always my dilemma...
The little girl is wonderful.
Looking forward to seeing more.
tatijana
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2008, 04:10 AM
A Local Legend
Middlesex, England

Hails from United Kingdom

thank you all for your eagle eyes....I have incorporated all the changes, but have to be so careful..........all the looseness goes when I begin to fiddle!

However she doesn't look like Dr Spock's niece any more; I have softened the wrist a tad, made some slight adjustments to tones here and there, and will leave it to sit for a bit, creeping up on it occasionally to see if I see it with new eyes.

Am now considering the second one in the series, three standing dancers. Here is the sketch.......... And yes, they ARE all the same girl, taken from three different pics.

BUT before I begin.......do you prefer the whole thing, or the crop?

#19   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2008, 06:04 AM
Lord of the Arts
Wales

The whole pic,these are beautiful works, stunning

Veronica
http://veronicasart.blogspot.com/
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2008, 10:16 AM
Enthusiast
Northern Colorado (almost Wyoming!)

Hails from United States

I too, prefer the entire view over the crop. I love the composition of it, and can't wait to see the color! Hurry! (smile)
My website & My Art Blog
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2008, 10:39 AM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Yes, I prefer the whloe thing, too. It gives grace and elegance to the figures to see their beautiful lithe legs in and out of the light, plus compositionally I like the movement the legs give. I only worry about the leg going off the page having a lot of interest and leading me out the corner--but my goodness, YOU of all people, I'm confident will handle that little issue! The crop isn't bad, of course!

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2008, 10:46 AM
Enthusiast
Carson City

Hails from United States

Jackie,

In reference to the reference .... I like the position of the head in the ref better. In the ref her head is angled up and to the side more. Above the knee more than in front of the knee. The angle in the ref gives off a feeling more of a... ? spirit of contemplation? In your picture the angle gives off the feeling of... "spirit of concentration? That little change in tilt-changes the story in my impression.
Just a thought...

Carol
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2008, 11:54 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
tx

Hails from United States

Beautiful painting!! Love the red!! Great sketches & I prefer the whole thing too!!

T
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2008, 01:41 PM
Illinois

Hails from United States

The full length composition is wonderful. But you can have fun and do the cropped one as well, but maybe more there would be more interest if the composition was in a horizontal rectangle, with the dancers to one side and more of the backstage curtains on the other, pushing them out onto the stage...
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2008, 05:39 PM
A Local Legend
Middlesex, England

thanks everyone, and good catch Deborah...I had wanted a scene without too much background, a fairly tight view, and originally the girl on the right was standing differently, but less gracefully than this option..... but that leg leading out bottom right is just what I was worried about, and why I tried the crop. I might well try a little more space to the right, as suggested by Tatijana, with some flats or curtains. In fact, as a vertical composition, there is a better comp, just using two girls, the two to the right, their poses echo each other rather beautifully........but I really wanted a trio of girls, and hoped that perhaps the overlapping shapes would make it work. I know it isn't a perfect composition........but hoped I could get away with it. Well, tomorrow is the day for trying out the colour. The worst that can happen is that I bin it! Or crop it!

Carol you are right about the angle of that head....I had not noticed that when I did my thumbnail sketch from the reference. HOWEVER, I do not think I am clever, or brave enough, to change it now.

Last edited by jackiesimmonds : 03-15-2008 at 05:51 PM.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2008, 07:16 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Jackie,

I prefer the whole thing as opposed to the crop for your upcoming piece.

"Red Dresses" is very nicely done! Nice color combinations and a nice rhythm to the composition. I am glad to hear that you have adjusted the ear. Just want to point out that Dr. Spock (as far as I know) had nothing peculiar about his ears. On the other hand, Mr. Spock's ears were rather well known for their unique shape!

Don
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2008, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

Jackie, thank you so much for explanations ( sorry, my reply comes late in thread and you answered my question so soon), very interesting to see how you created the image, lots of creativity involved!!!!!

I have one of your books, and I still love it after three years of "ownership"
you are a wonderful artist!!!
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2008, 07:56 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAK723
I am glad to hear that you have adjusted the ear. Just want to point out that Dr. Spock (as far as I know) had nothing peculiar about his ears. On the other hand, Mr. Spock's ears were rather well known for their unique shape!

Don

Don, thanks...I was mentally striving to figure out what it was that seemed wrong about that ! Good grief--can't believe I missed it!

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2008, 04:03 AM
A Local Legend
Middlesex, England

how hilarious! It shows my age I guess............Dr Spock v Mr Spock. Still giggling here.......

#30   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2008, 04:07 AM
A Local Legend
Middlesex, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adiro
Jackie, thank you so much for explanations ( sorry, my reply comes late in thread and you answered my question so soon), very interesting to see how you created the image, lots of creativity involved!!!!!

I have one of your books, and I still love it after three years of "ownership"
you are a wonderful artist!!!

so nice to hear this, very gratifying. I am pleased the books are still in circulation after all these years...Pastels Workshop has been reprinted lots of times now, which is unusual for an art instruction book and a testament to its popularity, so I admit I am rather proud of that.

well, onwards and hopefully upwards...off to try to do something nice with the trio of dancers. Green dresses? Turquoise? White dresses? So many choices!