WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Hall of Fame.
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2008, 06:30 PM
Resting in Peace
Syracuse, NY

Hails from Costa Rica
Golden Light

Hello,

This is a painting that I started more than 2 years ago. It was almost finished but because I was having trouble with some shadows I decided to set it aside.

Since there is a lot going on in the area during the months of April and May, I decided to resurrect it. This time around I knew exactly what to do: get rid of the shadows so I could focus on a different area.
Name:  GoldenLight1_30%.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  96.4 KB

The reference is a photo taken in the peak of summer, at 8:00PM. My question is, does it really feel like golden light to you? Comments welcome.

Wallis prof. and a mix of pastels.
Thank you for looking!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2008, 06:34 PM
Lord of the Arts
Perth, Western Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: Golden Light

It certainly has a Golden Glow about it. I really like it.

Carolynn
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2008, 06:46 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Adriana, while it is a fine painting, I have to say it doesn't feel golden to me. The trees in light come close, but the grass is a cool green.

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2008, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Australia

It's a beautiful painting Adrianna! I simply love it.

It feels like very late in the day. I think I've gone back to look at it 4 or 5 times already. I can relate that coolness in shadow with areas of NY/NJ.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2008, 07:36 PM
A WC! Legend
Jasper, TN (in the mountains west of Chattanooga)

Hails from United States

This is GORGEOUS!!! WOW!!

Did I mention this is GORGEOUS???

Paula
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2008, 10:00 PM
A Local Legend
Denver Colorado

Hails from United States

Beauuutifuuul yes yes yes. but I do agree with charlie not quite golden. Maybe some lite touches of lemon yellow or maybe some Gamblin Radiant yellow to the very tops of the trees. ? maybe even try yellow orche straight from the tube.

Take care, Be well, Be safe http://www.scottleckrone.com
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2008, 01:46 AM
Tx

Hails from United States

Maybe not quite 'golden' but this is VERY good!

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2008, 01:48 AM
Enthusiast
Carson City

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Ford
This is GORGEOUS!!! WOW!!

Did I mention this is GORGEOUS???

Paula

I agree with Paula. If you want this more golden........ummmm.......hard to do with greens (cool color). You accentuated the coolness of the greens on the bank where the sunlight is, by highlighting the grass with a cool light value blue. If you changed that to a similar value on the yellow side of the green scale it may make a more "golden" effect. This is only a thought. I love this just as it is.

Carol
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2008, 08:06 AM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

I think this is beautiful, Adriana. To me, it has the look of a late afternoon in Western New York (where I'm from) and it's a very different look than a Maryland late afternoon. Since it's so much hotter and drier here in Maryland our grass never stays as lush and green as it does farther north. Our summer grass is paler, more washed out with more yellows and golds in it. I'm always amazed at how much greener everything is when I go home for a visit. Even with a strong golden light on your grass I think you can only change the color so much or it won't look natural. Your lavender mountain also tells me that it is late in the day. I also love the deep, cool shadows under the trees on the right. I'm thinking that they wouldn't be quite so cool during the middle of the day.

Donna
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2008, 08:27 AM
Enthusiast
Tampa, FL

Hails from United States

Hmmm..... I'm thinking this is just flat out gorgeous! I don't have an issue with the lighting. Perhaps the title "golden light" might be suggesting something that doesn't need to be addressed, but it's really beautiful no matter what you call it!!!

did anyone mention that incredible water!!!!

Wow... I just love this.

susan
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2008, 12:08 PM
A WC! Legend
Seattle

Hails from United States

I want to learn how to do this. You are able to capture a mood in your painting. I can feel the calmness and sink into the colors here.

It's grande! Barb

www.MorninNoonanNight.com
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2008, 05:30 PM
epsom surrey uk

Hails from England

This is just beautiful! Change the title to "Evening light"!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Resting in Peace
Syracuse, NY

Hails from Costa Rica

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions.

Scottyarthur, Gamblin Radiant Yellow? Could you translate that into pastel Talk Believe me, that poor paper has tried all the yellows I have!

I did make some tiny changes: I added speckles of orange and white to the tree and I used a "warmer yellow" right below the sunlit tree branches. This is really the area I wanted to emphasize. I cannot change the color of the grass in the foreground simply because the paper cannot take any more pastel. Considering how I have abused this paper, it's amazing it still holds pastel!
I do not know if the changes show in this pic:
Name:  GL2_red.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  78.0 KB

Maybe it's just me, but although I have a fairly good idea about cool and warm colors, and know these terms are relative to other colors in the painting, I get very confused when it comes to greens. I wonder if my coming from the tropics has something to do with this. After all, most of the color theories are from northern latitudes. I would like to hear what you think about this. (Carol, Charlie? )

Pam, Donna, Yes, it's late in the day, about 8 PM.
The pic is from where I live, in Central NY. We rarely get over 90F in the summer so the grass stays green till winter. When I visit friends in Maryland in late summer, I'm so aware of the color change: It seems to me that just south of PA it gets drier, but even that "pale, washout" yellow is beautiful and gives a feeling of warmth!

Susan, pastellar, you were right on. Why call attention to that kind of light? I'll like Evening Light very much. Pastellar, thanks for suggesting it.

bnoonan, This is actually a second version and a very different one from the first. The first one was darker and softer, I was trying to convey the feeling of almost evening. I sold it, but unfortunately, I do not have good pics of it.

I'm sorry if I do not mention each of you, but I really, really appreciate your comments. Thanks again,
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2008, 07:25 PM
A Local Legend
Sunny California

Hails from United States

Adriana, This is very lovely. It is so serene.

binkie
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2008, 08:58 PM
Enthusiast
France

Hails from France

You have done well by recuperating this painting from your old unfinished paintings. Pick up some more of them, it would be worth while as you have a good painting style.

Charles